Skates for Toddlers

Passthedonuts

Jun 29, 2008
Oakville, ON
My 2 year old really wants to start skating and I'm debating if I want to buy him a pair of skates or just rent at the public rinks at first.

Most large hockey/sports stores don't seem to carry skates his size, but can special order them.

Also not sure to start him on bobskates or standard skates.

I'd prefer to buy him a pair because we can use them on the outdoor rinks here in the winter (can't rent there), but the main disadvantage is he's likely to outgrow them after the year.

I know some manufacturers make adjustable starter skates for kids - so something like this might be an option.

Any hockey dads with recommendations on what to do?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The ones I got for my toddler are the Bauer adjustable skates. I was told by the salesman that's what he got for his kid. They worked fine last year, I basically just held him while skating and then let him coast along with me while skating. We'll see how they work next winter.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What size did he size up to be?

Our store has this Junior skate trade-in program where you get 50% return credit if you trade in a pair of junior skates up to $100 towards a new pair.

If not you could try looking at Play It Again for used kids skates, they have shelves and shelves of them.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What size did he size up to be?

Our store has this Junior skate trade-in program where you get 50% return credit if you trade in a pair of junior skates up to $100 towards a new pair.

If not you could try looking at Play It Again for used kids skates, they have shelves and shelves of them.

Sport Chek does this and often has lots of used skates on the racks shortly after hockey season starts and well before outdoor ice is available. They are usually in very good condition though not always.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well my kid is in size 6 now, was size 5 last winter. We got him the smallest ones available (size 6-7 adjustable). I don't think he'll be able to fit into any real hockey skates until a year from this coming winter anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Also, the Bauer adjustable youth skates cost $20 and you'll probably get a free sharpening, so it's not that bad even if he only skates a few times.

And don't get double runner skates, get the normal ones and skate with him or bring a chair out on the ice :)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sport Chek does this and often has lots of used skates on the racks shortly after hockey season starts and well before outdoor ice is available. They are usually in very good condition though not always.

We're affiliated and under the same corporate banner

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
And don't get double runner skates

I learned how to skate on double runners (bob skates) when I was four years old. Used them for a year. They helped me with my balance. I didn't need my dad or a chair to help me around the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad