Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Youth skates

Did a search and did not see much about youth skates on the forum - any directions would be great. My specific questions concern skates for a 6 year old who can skate and goe to practice etc 2-3, maybe 4 times skater / player:

1. How big can you go w/o compromise "fit" too much. I am inclined to make fit of skates a prioritty and hence spend more money (or buycheaper skates more oftent, though half sizes are the often not available)

2. When should I get new skates, wait until they say the skateshurt?

3. Go for the most expensive $150-180 or so (don't know where, if at all there is overlap with Junior, which would change the max by a factor of 3-4), intermediate or cheapest (Vapor 1.0 has been just fine I think (and they look like those that Ovechkin and Bäckström had - what else could possibly matter?))?

4. Bake?

Finally, great thread, and appreciate all your comments and advice for the 100,000 readers!

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
So, my CL+U had an eyelet get smashed (a skate I think), and it needed to be replaced. Instead of the same type of eyelet the guy at the hockey shop put in a "normal" eyelet. The diameter of the new eyelet is just a little smaller than the hole for the stock ones, so the new eyelet is a little loose (as opposed to the others that have 0 play) but I skated for 2 hours today and it stayed in. I've only had the skates since March 2013 and I've only skated in them a total of 60 times, so the skates have a lot of life left in them if they don't get ruined.

Should I order an eyelet from CCM and have it installed? If so, can I skate on them in the meantime?

OR

Am I being super paranoid?

Rollie Sweetman

Jun 11, 2013
Did a search and did not see much about youth skates on the forum - any directions would be great. My specific questions concern skates for a 6 year old who can skate and goe to practice etc 2-3, maybe 4 times skater / player:

1. How big can you go w/o compromise "fit" too much. I am inclined to make fit of skates a prioritty and hence spend more money (or buycheaper skates more oftent, though half sizes are the often not available)

2. When should I get new skates, wait until they say the skateshurt?

3. Go for the most expensive $150-180 or so (don't know where, if at all there is overlap with Junior, which would change the max by a factor of 3-4), intermediate or cheapest (Vapor 1.0 has been just fine I think (and they look like those that Ovechkin and Bäckström had - what else could possibly matter?))?

4. Bake?

Finally, great thread, and appreciate all your comments and advice for the 100,000 readers!

I had to answer this as best I can. As the dad of a few players who have come up through those ages, it can be a daunting task to properly fit a kid of that age. Taking the points 1 by 1, your LHS should be able to properly size you son/daughter for a skate allowing for the maximum amount of room for growth without sacrificing the ability to skate (I believe this to be a finger width behind the heel in the boot but ask). You don't want to save a few dollars and find out the skates are too big for you child. I've done this and ended up buying new, smaller skates for my son. As for when to buy new skates, I would say if properly fit, you have about 2 (+-.5) shoe sizes before things get dicey. Again, take the footbed out and measure him that way to get a feel for where he is, but the LHS should help in that regard too. As for the price point to pick, I've generally spent more on skates relatively speaking than the rest of the equipment. That said, even kids skating 3 times a week don't break the skates down, even the lower level skates so you should be fine no matter what. If you're still in youth skates, you're a happy camper, junior skates see a price jump of nearly 100 percent which brings the value of buying the best into focus . Should you bake a skate? Definitely, if its designed to be baked. Youth skates aren't made of the same fibers that a junior or senior skate might be, but still may be designed to be heat molded. Again ask. Having a good LHS that you can trust will go a long way to getting your child in the right skate. Don't feel bad asking many questions and buying when you feel you have someone who is adding value to your buying experience. Good luck, its a daunting task but well worth the effort.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Good points Rollie, thanks.

I'll add on a couple:

1. If the skater is very young and is just starting out, I would look at a decent pair of used skates that are perfectly fitted for him/her NOW. My reasoning is simple. If there is any sort of room in the heel, you risk blisters and other discomforts, which could turn off skating/hockey for those little ones. Better to get used skates (which are cheaper of course) periodically then to buy new ones less frequently.

2. Use your best judgement. If the child is very finicky and comments about 'toes touching' , see if it is actually at the front via the footbed method. Often times, they can't articulate accurately and are just feeling the sides of the toecap. Other kids can keep trucking even once their toes are curled, and again, use your best judgement on comfort there.

3. No need to go top-end or high-end in anything if they are not at that level.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Rollie and AIREAYE, many thanks for your helpful responses. I certainly will go to a LHS, and it's good to have some input beforehand.

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
Have to choose new junior skates soon for my 8yo advanced level player with wide feet.
He has Supreme One 60 and happy with that.
On ice at least 5-6 times per week.

So I stuck between Supreme (which is essential choose based on fact he likes his skates) and Graf Supra...
Plus I really like Reebok 14K pump. Its just cool feature for skates...

I can afford something like Bauer Supreme One.7 or Graf Supra 5035

Leksand,
1) You need exact right size. Check LHS and they will tell you which size you need.
2) Same as with shoes, when son will overgrow it.
3) Intermediate youth should work
4) Bake if those are made for baking.

Most important thing would be ankle support. This is extremely important for used once too.

hf1

Nov 13, 2012
Just a quick question regarding the Bauer Vapors.

Looking to try to get a model from last year if I can find my size, but just want to make sure that I'm understanding the old model numbers and the corresponding current model numbers.

Pervious X4.0 = Current X70
Previous X5.0 = Current X80
Previous X7.0 = Current X90

Is this correct?

snizzbone*

Snagged some slightly used TotalOnes with Supreme 5000 tongues online today. Can't wait to try em out.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Just a quick question regarding the Bauer Vapors.

Looking to try to get a model from last year if I can find my size, but just want to make sure that I'm understanding the old model numbers and the corresponding current model numbers.

Pervious X4.0 = Current X70
Previous X5.0 = Current X80
Previous X7.0 = Current X90

Is this correct?

They're not absolutely equal, but you've got it.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
I'm in a big predicament.

My custom made Graf Supra 703s are done. Upper leather is shot and it's time to get a new pair of skates.

Unfortunately, my budget is keeping me around the 150-180 dollar range, but my skating ability is well beyond what is available at that price point.

Any tips on what is going to give me the best bang for my buck? I'm going to be weeping when I finally get rid of the Grafs anyways...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

My custom made Graf Supra 703s are done. Upper leather is shot and it's time to get a new pair of skates.

Unfortunately, my budget is keeping me around the 150-180 dollar range, but my skating ability is well beyond what is available at that price point.

Any tips on what is going to give me the best bang for my buck? I'm going to be weeping when I finally get rid of the Grafs anyways...

At the conventional retail level, always keep your eyes out for deals and clearance items. otherwise, eBay or kijiji

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
At the conventional retail level, always keep your eyes out for deals and clearance items. otherwise, eBay or kijiji

Definitely the area I'm headed, but are there any particular skates that are going to feel most like the elite level ones I'm used to wearing without costing as much?

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON

180 to replace 703s? You'll be hating life.

Bear down, eat ramen, find crap to sell on ebay to bridge the gap, get some holiday employment, shovel some driveways. If you're motivated enough, $300 isn't hard to scrape up.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Agree with the guys above. Give yourself more options rather than trying to convince yourself into one or two (if you're really lucky) options at clearance.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Honestly, I feel skates are one thing where you may want to just suck it up for a little while and dish out a bit more. Nothing else in the game is being used 100% of the time while playing.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Do you have pics of your 703's? I've seen some amazing restoration work done on skates that look like they've been through a dog's bowels and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->