Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
its not so much my heel but my forefoot... i have wide feet which is great for my skates but i dont have thick feet, so theres a lot of negative space

I don't know how thick the Nexus insoles are but if I go by past Bauer Flexlite insoles which varied from 1.5mm to 2mm, the Superfeet insoles which are around 3mm would take up a bit more volume. In the past, I've taken up volume in skates by putting 1/16" sheets of cork underneath the insoles. You can get different thicknesses of cork sheets at pretty much any hardware store like Home Depot, and cut it to the shape of the insole.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That cork sheet is an interesting idea. How's the moisture management? Any issues?

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
That cork sheet is an interesting idea. How's the moisture management? Any issues?

I've never really had moisture issues with insoles in general, and placing a layer of cork under an insole didn't really change anything. However, I've always removed the insoles and cork sheet after a game to let them (and the skates) dry. And just to make things clear, I never used a cork sheet instead of an insole but rather as an extra layer under the insoles to fill some space. In fact in one pair of skates, I had a wedge shaped cork sheet that tapered from 1/8" at the toe to 0" at mid foot to take up space only up front. Now that I have custom skates, I've quit doing that kind of stuff.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
if your LHS has the new CCM foot beds give them a try, I have really high arches and their high arch foot beds fit amazing they have them for medium and low arches also they are pricey IMO at $50 but it was worth for me.

VAThrasher

Dec 30, 2002
Richmond, VA
Visit site
OK, another noob needing advice - 5'11" 160 lbs, size 9.5 shoes, wide feet, but skinny ankles, so heel lock is a big concern. Just started skating in 30 year old bauers and need to upgrade. Money's not a concern, but weak skater, so I know not to go top end. I'm thinking Vapor X60s - any other suggestions?

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
size with your skate size then you have to trim them to make them for the perfect fit

That would put me at a C footbed, but I dont want to have an issue where it doesnt fit my heel... D is 7.5 - 9, which fits my shoe size but not skate (6.5).. would it make sense to order D and cut down?

EDIT: went with a C... hope it fits a 6.5 skate lol

edit2: i lied lol i went with the ccm medium arch footbed.. the yellow superfeet just sound like i for sure need to try them before buying them with the way people talk about the positioning of the arch/way it feels in the skate

Last edited:

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
That would put me at a C footbed, but I dont want to have an issue where it doesnt fit my heel... D is 7.5 - 9, which fits my shoe size but not skate (6.5).. would it make sense to order D and cut down?

EDIT: went with a C... hope it fits a 6.5 skate lol

edit2: i lied lol i went with the ccm medium arch footbed.. the yellow superfeet just sound like i for sure need to try them before buying them with the way people talk about the positioning of the arch/way it feels in the skate

I should have mentioned I had that problem with the superfeet the had me in a size 13 to get the right fit on my heel but it still wasn't as good of a fit as the CCM foot beds I should have ready your post more clearly

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
had my first practice with the ccm custom footbeds.. best practice ive had yet

felt much more stable/in control... not a lot of wiggle room anymore, however i did pull my calf muscle maybe its because im not used to activating those muscles so much lol

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hoping somebody can help me out. I used vapor 40's for 3 years. Before them I wore easton synergy's, switched to the 40's and adjusted to them very quickly. My turns and pick up speed improved and I was very happy. This past summer I picked up a pair of the original total ones. I know they are a completely different skate but after 5-6 times on the ice I am still far from being completely used to them. I fell unbalanced on my feet like i'm a new skater yet I just completed my 4th year of junior B hockey and am usually very strong and balanced on my skates. I'm not the fastest skater out there but i'm a strong skater in terms of balance and poise. Can anybody who has experience with total ones tell me if it took them a long time to adjust? I'm actually considering switching back to my beaten vapor 40's.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Maybe they just don't fit. If you loved the Vapors, why change something that worked well?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe they just don't fit. If you loved the Vapors, why change something that worked well?

I work for the St. John's IceCaps and lucked into a brand new unused pair for $150 and I needed new wheels. Figured i'd jump on it.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Nice! That's a great deal. At least now you know what works and what doesn't. If those skates were customs for someone, that might also mean that the fit is very different from a regular retail pair of T1s too.

Another thing too could be that if you actually like how the boot fits your foot, you can have the steel profiled to match or approximate your old, ground down Vapors.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nice! That's a great deal. At least now you know what works and what doesn't. If those skates were customs for someone, that might also mean that the fit is very different from a regular retail pair of T1s too.

Another thing too could be that if you actually like how the boot fits your foot, you can have the steel profiled to match or approximate your old, ground down Vapors.

It was a great deal which is why I don't really care if they aren't going to work. They were pro stock and have custom blades and tongues which obviously make them different from the original total ones. I baked the skate and it fit like a glove at the skate shop but things just never worked out on the ice. I may sell them on ebay and use whatever money I get and throw towards a pair of vapor apx.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You'll definitely get some good money back. If you wanted to, you could try asking your team's equipment guys or a local skate shop about profiling the T1s to match.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You'll definitely get some good money back. If you wanted to, you could try asking your team's equipment guys or a local skate shop about profiling the T1s to match.

I'll check into it. The guys here are pretty good but I don't want to alter things too much if i'm able to sell them for a good price and chip the money towards a new pair of vapors. Like I said before, I absolutely loved my 40's so I cant imagine how good the newest ones are.

I appreciate the help! If anybody else wants to chime in still feel free!

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
Look for the next pair of new junior skates for advanced player wide feet, centerman
Currently: Bauer Supreme One 60 (like it)

Basically have 2 main ideas:
1) Bauer Supreme One.6 Jr. = should match existing once.
2) Graff. Look for 7035/5035/3035 models. Not sure how those are different and if I should prefer Graphs to Bauer.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
im kind of in an experimental phase, with different hollows and such, and was looking into getting my skates profiled to get a more forward (vapor esque) lean/pitch. i dont have any "issues" with balance or anything, if i get a pair profiled is it permanent? when i look at a picture like this it looks like it is
profile6zg.jpg

if not profiling anyone have experience with adding heel lifts? are those permanent?

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That picture is exaggerated, but it does essentially show the gist of what a profiling can look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->