Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
If you are in Philly, surely Pure Hockey should have the ability to order wide skates for you to try.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
’ve been having issues with my current skates being too big and too narrow

Generally speaking, if you have wide feet, Jet speeds are probably not going to be the right skate for you. They're more for people with narrow feet. IMHO, better to start with anything NOT Jetspeed or Vapor.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Even if they’re EE’s? This is rather frustrating.. haha

Yeah my head hurts sometimes when I think about it too much. :p

EEs in one line is not the same as EEs in another, because each line has a specific fit profile they're trying to cater to. For example I'm a EE in Supremes and D in Nexus. I put my foot in a Supreme D and it pinched the hell out of it when I stood up. The Nexus line is designed for wider feet with more volume.

Now, never say never, because every foot is different just like every skate is, and you never know until you actually try the skate on. But if you're playing percentages, Jetspeeds are a low percentage choice.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Yeah my head hurts sometimes when I think about it too much. :p

EEs in one line is not the same as EEs in another, because each line has a specific fit profile they're trying to cater to. For example I'm a EE in Supremes and D in Nexus. I put my foot in a Supreme D and it pinched the hell out of it when I stood up. The Nexus line is designed for wider feet with more volume.

Now, never say never, because every foot is different just like every skate is, and you never know until you actually try the skate on. But if you're playing percentages, Jetspeeds are a low percentage choice.
Thanks. My LHS called me today and left a vocemail and said he checked and could order in a pair of CCM wides, but didn't say what model they were. And I would have to pay a non refundable 10% deposit if I were to order them, since he can't return wides to the manufacturer and he doesn't get demand for them.

He also said that he found a pair of Trons in his shop, that run wider.. but I couldn't find anything on them when I did a search.. Maybe I misheard him in the voicemail and he said something else?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tron is considered a 'budget' or 'generic' brand if that makes any sense. I have no experience with them as they weren't in Canada when I was.

Tough situation you're in without trying. I need to stress my earlier suggestion of finding an online retailer that would allow you to return skates that don't fit. Can you find any?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Tron is considered a 'budget' or 'generic' brand if that makes any sense. I have no experience with them as they weren't in Canada when I was.

Tough situation you're in without trying. I need to stress my earlier suggestion of finding an online retailer that would allow you to return skates that don't fit. Can you find any?

I mean I can't really afford to buy a bunch at a time though even if I'd return the ones that don't fit. There is a Pure Hockey store somewhat near by, I called them and they don't have any wide skates in stock either. However, I may just head there and try on some other "naturally" wide skates.. but from what the LHS guy told me the widest skate in the standard sizes would be Nexus, which I was bulging out of when I tried them in store (or maybe he just meant the widest standard he had in stock)

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Sorry to keep harping on this, but damn I can't find anything online in my price range! Trying to stay around $200-250.

I tried a Nexus on in store and was still bulging out. I figured a Nexus EE would be the logical one to try next. I cant find an EE anywhere in my price range.

I found a Supreme in EE for $200, would that be worth a try? knowing I do not even fit in a Nexus standard size?

I'm very surprised that there isn't more wide options.. I can't be the only one with this problem.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sorry to keep harping on this, but damn I can't find anything online in my price range! Trying to stay around $200-250.

I tried a Nexus on in store and was still bulging out. I figured a Nexus EE would be the logical one to try next. I cant find an EE anywhere in my price range.

I found a Supreme in EE for $200, would that be worth a try? knowing I do not even fit in a Nexus standard size?

I'm very surprised that there isn't more wide options.. I can't be the only one with this problem.
Man I feel for you! Yeah try the Supreme in EE. Pay attention not just to the width, but to the depth of the boot and the heel lock!

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I searched all of the hockey online shops and could not find a Nexus EE in my size and price range. I finally just got on a chat with someone and just asked because why not.. and they sent me a direct link to exactly what I was looking for.. I don't know how I missed them! Ordering them right not. I'll let you know how it goes when I get them!

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Are the S180s worth the $200 bucks over the S170s? Looking for my next skate to last me over 10 years. My One60s have lasted me 9 years but I'm going to retire them and keep them for outdoor ice only.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tough to say, because skates aren't really built to last that long anyways. Of course, a stiffer skate generally lasts longer than a softer skate, so moving from the S170 to S180 would likely offer a longer life. It's just not quantifiable when it comes to years and value for the dollar.

Reactions: jorbjorb

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
When is the best time of year to grab skates on sale/clearance? Late summer?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Skates came today! They fit sooo much better than the ones I tried in store, so glad I found these EE's online.

There's a little discomfort up by my ankle, but I'm thinking that's a break in issue. I'm taking them to the shop tomorrow to get them baked and sharpened and will go to an open skate later in the day to try them out.

This thread and information in the first post was a huge help. Thanks!!

Reactions: AIREAYE

HereCometheHawks

O Captain My Captain
Nov 7, 2011
So, I got my skates about 3 months ago, hadn't skated since I was a kid so wasn't sure about fit. I got them fitted "professionally" but I think they're too big. What do you guys think?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You can't tell by doing that with the footbed. Read page one of the guide for my explanation of what the right length should feel like.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I went to a sticks and pucks with my new skates before getting them baked (because you have to wait at least 24 hrs before skating with them after being baked). I still felt the same pain I had in my previous skates even though these fit better, but not nearly as bad as my old skates.
After the sticks and pucks I went to get them baked. I am hoping the baking helps alleviate the pain issue. I know it's also probably a breaking in issue as well though.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I went to a sticks and pucks with my new skates before getting them baked (because you have to wait at least 24 hrs before skating with them after being baked). I still felt the same pain I had in my previous skates even though these fit better, but not nearly as bad as my old skates.
After the sticks and pucks I went to get them baked. I am hoping the baking helps alleviate the pain issue. I know it's also probably a breaking in issue as well though.
Could always get them punched out depending on where the fitment issue is

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Make sure you are not tightening down the lace section where the top of your foot meets your ankle(3-4 laces down). If you are cranking down on those laces you can collapse the arch of your foot and it can give you some serious pain.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Make sure you are not tightening down the lace section where the top of your foot meets your ankle(3-4 laces down). If you are cranking down on those laces you can collapse the arch of your foot and it can give you some serious pain.
hmm. Good to know, I'll have to try that next time. I left the laces in the toe box loose as that's where most of my pain was and then would tighten the laces more toward my ankle and use a loop trick on the top eyelets to get that as tight as I could. Which seemed to help, but I still had some pain.

mofosho1992

Mar 23, 2018
A question about sharpening: is FBV all that it's cracked up to be? What hollow do most people prefer? I'm experimenting with my skate sharpenings right now and am curious what other people like (or don't like).

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I tried flat botttoms for a while. They were ok, but went back to normal sharpening. Found when the edge went it went quick and found the shallower hollow seemed make the edges slip out easier when I skated over a patch of heavy snow.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I love FBV and I will personally never switch back to ROH. The glide is absolutely more noticeable for me and I feel less tired from having to deal with the greater bite from ROH.

Most people in ROH use 1/2" and its equivalent in FBV is 100/50. I use 90/75, which is equivalent to 5/8". Shallower and less bite with more glide than 100/50.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I also love FBV for the same reasons mentioned above. I used to use a 7/8" traditional hollow and now use 90/50 FBV. I am north of 200lbs though and prefer a shallow hollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->