Skated For The First Time in 8 Years today!

HabDawg

Oct 9, 2006
And wow. Was it amazing.

Was with 4 friends, who finally came out with me, got a pair of skates ealier today (CCM Vector 3.0). And played for 3 and a half hours.

Boy, did I miss it!

But I just have 1 quick question. I remeber when I used to play in House League as a kid, I taped my ankles up, and I feel I would like to do it again, as I just can't seem to get my skates tight enough to lose the "wobble" on my ankles.

Is this safe? Any alternatives?

Thanks!

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
you want to be able to roll the ankle to gain an edge and such. I suggest a wobble board for strengthening. Taping ans such tends to cause a loss of balance and weakens the joint rather than building. It should be considered a short term help.

Boilers*

I haven't skated in 12 years 'till just recently, same exact thing, using a 25 year old set of Bauers. Was as wobbly the first few times, (crampy feet after the first skate),after the third skate though it's like I've never been away. What a nice feeling. Like riding a bike, it doesn't go away. It takes awhile for the muscles to get use to it again, I guess. I suspect just give the muscles time to learn and you'll be fine.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I think it depends a bit on your age and what your goals are. Awfully long adjustment to looser ankles if you are older and plan to skate half a dozen times a year, but if you are younger and plan to skate a lot best to get used to being able to roll your ankles and control all your edges. This is assuming your skates have good support right up to top of the ankle.

HabDawg

Oct 9, 2006
thanks for all the really great replies.

So, the common response - One day isn't a good trial.

Thanks again

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
La Tender I'm going to jack the thread for a bit ;)

So tonight was my first of the long awaited skating lessons. I've been on the ice the past month or so, once a week. Well, I signed up for adult skate, level I, and when I got there, soon realized that I was definitely the strongest skater there! Most of the people were clinging to the boards while I was just puttering around. I think one of the instructors was confused as to why I was there. Anyways, once the lesson started, the instructor told me I'd be better off in the next level up lessons!! What a confidence booster! That combined with what some people that I skate with at UVic on Mondays saying that I was looking way better, today was an amazing day.

I decided that I'm going to start piecing together my equipment for next winter and buy my gloves this weekend. Well, off to assignments and such, but like I said before, just to share my progress with you fine people!

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
I had a similar expierience a few months ago. I played pond hockey for 2 winters about 10 years ago and then did not skate for years. Last summer i decided to join a beer league team at the end of their inline season - had never played inline before. But it was great fun, once i managed to stay on my feet ;)

In August the team had signed up for an ice hockey camp, organized by Bernd Brückler. It was the first time on ice for me in 10 years. Thomas Pöck's dad Herbert and Alaska Aces defenseman Florian Iberer were coaches there and they had lots of fun with me :) Actually Iberer asked me if i am injured when he saw me skate backwards :biglaugh:. Now, half a year later my skating still sucks (it's not cold enough here to practice on ponds and going backwards is not easy :( ) but i get along ok. Still a lot to learn obviously.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
8 years? That's nothing. Went skating on the Rideau canal this past weekend, hadn't been on the ice for 20 years. :)

As always, my feet were killing me. I've never worn a pair of skates in my life that didn't hurt, whether it's these ones I own, or rentals when I was a wee lad.

Any hints? Should you be looking for skates that are really loose, really tight?

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Skating lesson update number 2 (for those that care ;)

So, last night was lesson #2.

I cannot stop for the life of me, which kind of sucks considering that is the one thing that the rest of the class isn't having a problem with. :shakehead It's slowly coming, but I guess I'm just turning quickly instead of turning quickly and pushing my edges out.

The one great thing - I can do cross-overs! It's weird, I can't stop, but I can do cross-overs. I went early, and asked my boyfriend (who has skated since he was two, and finally came out and skated with me) to show me how to do them...and then strangely enough, that's what we were doing! It's actually kind of fun doing them...a bit awkward at first, but then it's pretty easy. And yet I can't stop haha.

More to come...

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
So, last night was lesson #2.

I cannot stop for the life of me, which kind of sucks considering that is the one thing that the rest of the class isn't having a problem with. :shakehead It's slowly coming, but I guess I'm just turning quickly instead of turning quickly and pushing my edges out.

The one great thing - I can do cross-overs! It's weird, I can't stop, but I can do cross-overs. I went early, and asked my boyfriend (who has skated since he was two, and finally came out and skated with me) to show me how to do them...and then strangely enough, that's what we were doing! It's actually kind of fun doing them...a bit awkward at first, but then it's pretty easy. And yet I can't stop haha.

More to come...

That's where I was at one point. Forward, and cross-overs to the left (dang counter clockwise public skate). Stopping is much better (self criticizing), right hand cross-overs are fine, backwards is still an issue.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Well now I feel like a little *****.

Right before Winter I started playing again (maybe 4 times before winter started) and I got a new pair of skates on Christmas. Went out the next day and tried to skate and experienced the same problem, a lot of wiggle and lack of support in my ankles, so after maybe 30 minutes i took em off and played on feet.

Since then the conditions for street hockey havent been up to par.

I cant wait til this snow melts so i can get on every day!

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Wow. No offense to any of you, I think its great that you're all skating again, but its weird to see so many Northerns/Easterns talking about first time skating (at least for a while) - especially when you're so in to hockey. I would expcet to hear this from people like me, from California :P Except that I've been playing for a year now so my skating is decent.

slidingsideways

Apr 3, 2006
Boston, MA
www.flickr.com
I just started skating on hockey skates last summer.

I grew up in DC, which is not the skating capital of the world. I took figure skating lessons as a kid, slowly tracing figure eights on rented skates. I skated recreationally as a teenager. I didn't know anyone who played hockey.

I moved to New England in 1990 and almost everyone I've met played hockey as a kid. It's hilarious. I had never heard of a backyard rink before I moved up here. I had never seen women's hockey except at the Olympics. I had never worn hockey skates. And I had never followed hockey, which I crave, need, and love now.

It had probably been almost twenty years off the ice before I bought a pair of used Missions and started skating again last summer. Hockey skates are so much fun. I'm just about ready to buy new skates and start learning to skate with a stick and puck.

Meanwhile, I'm working on one-foot turns and (really terrible) back crossovers and, for fun, a back mohawk into a waltz jump. Hey, I've seen it done on hockey skates before. I'm sure it'll come in handy during a game. ;)

Edited to add: yeah, working on those left crossovers during open skate is tough. I try to find times when the rink is really quiet and work on the faceoff circle in the center. My left crossovers stink; I keep putting my left skate down on the outside edge and then wondering why I'm so stiff and choppy. Oops.

Last edited:

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Okay, so I'm a couple of days off on my update (again if anyone actually cares haha), but here goes.

The lesson wasn't all that great because we had a substitute instructor, but that's fine. The one good thing is that I abandoned trying to stop with my dominant foot...only to find out that I can actually stop with my non-dominant! It's ridiculous, but amusing.

My right crossovers are feeling so smooth and I had a chance to work on my lefts, and after just going on my one skate to get used to the feeling before crossing over, I did them, albeit rather sloppily.

I'm still kind of freaked out about skating backwards. I can do it, but I always feel like I'm going to bail - any suggestions? She tried to show us how to stop while we're skating backwards, but it made no sense to me (well it did, it just seems odd to push back/out as you're going backwards).

Anyways, we'll see what next week brings...

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I'm still kind of freaked out about skating backwards. I can do it, but I always feel like I'm going to bail - any suggestions? She tried to show us how to stop while we're skating backwards, but it made no sense to me (well it did, it just seems odd to push back/out as you're going backwards).

The feeling that you're "going to bail" -- think you'll fall forward or backwards? For years my backward skating pose had me leaning forward, my butt pointed way out and my feet wide apart. Logic was that if I were to fall I'd fall forward and protect myself with my arms, and the wide stance was so I wouldn't tip sideways. With confidence and better leg strength I narrowed my stance and put my shoulders back. My footwork is better so I'm faster and more agile and I can see the ice better.

Get to know your "crumple zones" (knees and waist) and how they counterbalance each other. If you stand up straight in your skates or only bend at your waist it's easy to lean too far in one direction and fall. Bend your knees and remember that if your bottom half leans in one direction, the top half has to lean in the opposite direction. Keep practicing, experimenting and watching other skaters. BTW, plan on falling as you practice -- an instructor told our class that if you don't fall down you're not pushing yourself hard enough -- and always wear knee and elbow protection. The safer you feel the more you'll try IMO. Good luck!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
And wow. Was it amazing.

Was with 4 friends, who finally came out with me, got a pair of skates ealier today (CCM Vector 3.0). And played for 3 and a half hours.

Boy, did I miss it!

But I just have 1 quick question. I remeber when I used to play in House League as a kid, I taped my ankles up, and I feel I would like to do it again, as I just can't seem to get my skates tight enough to lose the "wobble" on my ankles.

Thanks!

The balance of the world,I've been playing hockey since I was 6 or 7 (41 years) and played twice a week til now. Two neurologists told me it's over forever due to 2 neck injuries. I just stare at my hockey bag and self destruct,we'll see.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
And wow. Was it amazing.

Boy, did I miss it!

Thanks!
The stiffness of the ankle of modern skates really does not allow too much ankle roll but I might just take it for granted. I look for a moderately snug fit but not tight as blood flow and foot cramps can be painful. They should feel comfortable and not have you thinking about them. In the backyard rink I barely tighten at all.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Lesson Update

So last night was lesson #4.
I can do my left crossovers but they are soooo ragged and ugly! hahah. My turns are getting cleaner and sharper, and I can actually stop now. Backwards is still a problem, but the instructor pretty much said that the whole feeling like you're going to bail thing is because of the weight distribution (we all had our butts sticking out as we skated).

Next week is the last lesson, and I'm kind of sad because a lot of the ice here is coming out in the next few weeks. I am definitely happy with the progress I've made, and I hope that I'm okay to go for the beginner's league in the fall. I guess I just have to keep up the skating over the summer at the rinks where they still have ice in.

Two things that I'm kind of interested in figuring out though:
1. How do you stop when you're skating backwards? The instructor last week briefly showed us how to push out with our skates as we're going backwards (like a reverse snowplow), but it didn't make much sense.
and
2. How do you go from skating backwards to forwards and vice versa? My boyfriend tried to show me a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't exactly understand what he was getting at, and I won't have a chance to go skating with him for awhile...so any tips, etc would be lovely.

Cheers

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
1. How do you stop when you're skating backwards? The instructor last week briefly showed us how to push out with our skates as we're going backwards (like a reverse snowplow), but it didn't make much sense.
and
2. How do you go from skating backwards to forwards and vice versa? My boyfriend tried to show me a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't exactly understand what he was getting at, and I won't have a chance to go skating with him for awhile...so any tips, etc would be lovely.

Cheers

Im new to Ice Skating as well. Ive been a roller hockey player for the greater part of my 18 years of life. So by no means am i good at stopping. But i can tell you that when youre going backwards, it's like a V shape you want to make to stop. And push down on the inside edge of your blades. Personally i just kind of pivot and stop/try to stop normally. I do the V / reverse-snowplow shape when i want to slow down a bit going backwards, but that's not very often.
(i've actually seen people learn to stop going forwards using the V shape)

Transitions from forward to backwards and etc should be something your instructor will coach you on, I'll be shocked if he/she doesnt. I can't offer too much help here cause I learned that from before I can remember so to me it's just natural now. Definitely ask your instructor if they will touch base on transitions.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Somebody mentioned a wobble board to strenghten your ankles. you can also invest in a BOSU ball. That will really work your legs and your ankles. You caould also try going to some public skates with your skates very loose, or jsut not tied at the top two eyelets. Don't try to push too hard at first but rather just miander along the ice and work up your ankle strength that way.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

When you're skating backward you're quickly alternating moving your feet in semicircles. Before trying to stop, bring your skates parallel to each other and glide backwards for a few moments. When you're ready to stop, turn your toes outward (use as much of the skate blade to shave the ice and help you to stop), lean forward (so you're using the inside, not the outside edge of your blade) and bend your knees as though you're going to leap forward. The trick is to adjust your balance long enough for your edges to bring you to a stop and not fall forward.

Cheers

There are two ways that I know of.
A. As you skate forward and your skates are parallel
  1. Shift your weight to one foot (left, for the sake of instruction)
  2. Lift your other foot, turn it 180 degrees and place it behind you. Your feet should be in line with each other but your feet are pointing in opposite directions.
  3. Shift your weight onto your right foot
  4. Now swing your right leg around while turning your foot and place it next to left.
You're now skating backwards.

B. This one's tough to explain. To turn clockwise while skating forward:
  1. Glide
  2. Shift your weight to the front of your skates (like you're lifting your heels off the ice). You'll want to balance on the front curve so a smaller surface of your blade is touching the ice.
  3. Turn your left foot inward as though you're turning right (skating forward)
  4. Curl your right foot around behind you in a semi-circle as though you're skating backwards to the right.
  5. Once you've turned yourself around, shift back onto your heels and straighten your skates and start your backward footwork.

Last edited:

Bruins86

Sep 27, 2006
i recently played for the 1st time in 3 years it was kinda hard where i was a goalie all my life and they didnt need one so i played LW have 1 goal and 2 assists in 2 games lol...but then agian i am playing with a bunch of guys that are like 45+ and im only 20

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
Northeast
SKated for the first tiome in over 20 years yesterday. Took the 3 year old and the wife to skate. I felt like a kid again, excep tfor the sore feet.

And man...I was hunched over half the time, tending to my toddler...my back is killing me.

It was a blast.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
When skating backwards I point my toes inwards (inversed V) and push out.

Never really thought much about it, but it seems easy enough for me. Main thing is to just try it, don't worry about falling because we all fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad