Skate sharpening question

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Hey guys,

Okay, so I got new skates this year and I seems to be having a problem with sharpenings on them now.

I used to take them to this privetly owned skate sharpening place and he just did them. I'm not sure what the hollow was on the blade, but they were ALWAYS perfect.

I moved and got new skates. Now when I get them sharpened for the first game-game and a half I'm falling over myself. The skates are WAY TOO SHARP.

I went from Vector 6.0 to RBK 9K pumps. I know the steel is better, but is it THAT big of a difference? What should I do?

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I had the same problem about 1 week ago. I just kinda had to grind it out. If I were you, I would just tell the guy, you don't want them incredibly sharp because it really effected your skating last time. Unfortunately, I'm not good at the whole hollow size and such.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Drop a call to the guy whos grinds you liked and ask what he was using on them. You can then pass that on to your new grinder.

try to find a gage to check your radius and edges. Part of the problem may be a bad grind..ie edges uneven, center of radius off, etc etc. For a radius check....if your having a 1/2" ROH ground... a circle with a diameter of 1" should sit in the Hollow perfectly. Held up to a light you should see nothing between blade and your 1" disc.

What I can do for you guys is make some discs. I am a machinist by trade so if you want a disc to check your radius just ell me what size and I will make one and send it out to you. Drop a Pm with shipping info and I will send you an aluminum ROH gage.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Sounds like your new sharpener is giving you a deeper hollow. Eventually they'll dull down to where you like 'em, but next time mention you want a shallower hollow.

A deep hollow gives you more secure edges but I find them harder to control since they grab the ice more and tend to drag a bit, making it harder to skate faster as well.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Sounds like your new sharpener is giving you a deeper hollow. Eventually they'll dull down to where you like 'em, but next time mention you want a shallower hollow.

A deep hollow gives you more secure edges but I find them harder to control since they grab the ice more and tend to drag a bit, making it harder to skate faster as well.

I just found them really hard to control. I spent a lot of time trying to "dull them" on the boards but they were still really sharp.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Or you could get a custom profile on your steel. Makes skating in a new style skates much easier. But that might be too expensive for your problem.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I just found them really hard to control. I spent a lot of time trying to "dull them" on the boards but they were still really sharp.

I'm gonna side with Mike on this one. Find out what your old grind was and go from there. If the place where you go now is half way reputable, they can check the gring on your skates to make sure the cut is in the center of the runner and can put any hollow in them that you like.

The only time I've seen skates that are "too" sharp is when they are not ground in the center causing the one edge to be higher than the other and giving the feeling that the skates seem to bite too much.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Haha had this same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I'm the one who had the Vapor10's that I couldn't skate on the first time I went out on them. Found out the reason was because where I bought them wasn't where I usually get my skates sharpened. I had the same problem, felt too sharp (too deep of a hollow). It sucks, you look like you've never skated before. I also found stopping very difficult to dig in. Hope you are able to get in contact with your old shop and find out the hollow, if not just ask the guy next time.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Best thing to do is ask what they set their normal hollow at and then just ask them to do it a little less than that. You could always call your old pro-shop too.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Well I called my old sharpener and he uses a 7/16 hollow on female skates. I went and got my blades looked at. I went to another place and he said that the hollow is deeper than what they use, which is 3/8.

He resharpened them at a 7/16 so hopefully they should be a bit better.

Is 7/16 a really small hollow? Or is 3/8 a really deep hollow?

RJ8812*

if you find them too sharp, scrape (more like slide) them on some wood, maybe the bench, that'll "dull" them

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Well I called my old sharpener and he uses a 7/16 hollow on female skates. I went and got my blades looked at. I went to another place and he said that the hollow is deeper than what they use, which is 3/8.

He resharpened them at a 7/16 so hopefully they should be a bit better.

Is 7/16 a really small hollow? Or is 3/8 a really deep hollow?
7/16 is shallower than 3/8, so that's backwards.

3/8 = 6/16. The smaller the number, the deeper the hollow, the more it bites into the ice.

I think 3/8 is on the deep side. I'm still learning to skate and I've just started experimenting with hollows, but right now mine are 9/16 and I think the next time I get them sharpened I'll go up to 5/8 (I'm a girl too, BTW).

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
7/16 is shallower than 3/8, so that's backwards.

3/8 = 6/16. The smaller the number, the deeper the hollow, the more it bites into the ice.

I think 3/8 is on the deep side. I'm still learning to skate and I've just started experimenting with hollows, but right now mine are 9/16 and I think the next time I get them sharpened I'll go up to 5/8 (I'm a girl too, BTW).

I've always been told the other way. 1/2 is the shallowest and 5/26th being the deepeest hollow. :dunno:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
At my shop we set the stone to 7/16 unless they ask for it to be different. If they ask for it to be "sharp" we set it to 3/8. If they ask for it to be "not too sharp" we set it at 1/2.

Some bigger guys ask for 5/8. The bigger you are the more weight you put on your edges therefore you don't need as deep a hollow (generally speaking).

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I've always been told the other way. 1/2 is the shallowest and 5/26th being the deepeest hollow. :dunno:
That's the same as what I said. 1/2 is shallower than 7/16, which is shallower than 3/8, which is shallower than 5/26 (fractions are evil, especially with different denominators).

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com

the deepest you can get is an ROH 2x the width of your blade. Any smaller and the arc will not go edge to edge.

There is the odd goalie that will skate on a 1.5" ROH but they also tend to have a 28-30' Radius rocker on the profile. THe reduced surface in contact with the ice gives more bite. Stefan Popa, former GC at U of M uses that setting as well as several of the goalies he has coached. I use the 28' R profile but kept my 1" ROH.

One of our best local shops also grinds the out players at a standard 7/16th. it is VITAL that the grind be centered both on the blades run and the profile be correct. If those are not done and you start changing your ROH selection...your going to get lost as to what you will truely skate best on. Have your local guy show you how to check your blades or learn from an online source such as noiceingsports.com it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad