Skate sharpening for six year old hockey player

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Pretty basic question. How often should you have your six year-old hockey player's skates sharpened? He's skated on them for about five hours so far this month (five one hour pre-season practices). They still seem okay.

When I played I liked them slightly dull as it helped with my speed, but he's just starting out so it's important for him to have good edges.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
What hollow is he using? My 8 year old is little for his age ~48 pounds and he can go about 7-8 1 hr. sessions before I get them re-sharpened to 1/2" (live in the south, really soft ice here).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
What hollow is he using? My 8 year old is little for his age ~48 pounds and he can go about 7-8 1 hr. sessions before I get them re-sharpened to 1/2" (live in the south, really soft ice here).
Just a "normal" hollow (1/2). My son is big for his age, but not abnormally so. Perhaps he can get away with another couple of hours.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pretty basic question. How often should you have your six year-old hockey player's skates sharpened? He's skated on them for about five hours so far this month (five one hour pre-season practices). They still seem okay.

When I played I liked them slightly dull as it helped with my speed, but he's just starting out so it's important for him to have good edges.

My daughter is seven, been skating since she was about four, and I honestly have never had a specific time frame when I get her skates sharpened.

She’s on the ice a lot, but I’d estimate I get them sharpened 3-4 times a year. I basically check the hollow by holding it up to the light and then feeling the edges across the grain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->