Skate sharpening for six year old hockey player

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by DannyGallivan, Sep 25, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

Pretty basic question. How often should you have your six year-old hockey player's skates sharpened? He's skated on them for about five hours so far this month (five one hour pre-season practices). They still seem okay.

When I played I liked them slightly dull as it helped with my speed, but he's just starting out so it's important for him to have good edges.

2. PiggySmalls

PiggySmalls Oink Oink MF

What hollow is he using? My 8 year old is little for his age ~48 pounds and he can go about 7-8 1 hr. sessions before I get them re-sharpened to 1/2" (live in the south, really soft ice here).

3. DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan Your world frightens and confuses me

Just a "normal" hollow (1/2). My son is big for his age, but not abnormally so. Perhaps he can get away with another couple of hours.

4. Mr Jiggyfly

Mr Jiggyfly Registered User

My daughter is seven, been skating since she was about four, and I honestly have never had a specific time frame when I get her skates sharpened.

She’s on the ice a lot, but I’d estimate I get them sharpened 3-4 times a year. I basically check the hollow by holding it up to the light and then feeling the edges across the grain.