Equipment: Skate selection for a friend / myself

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have a friend who plays on my beer league team, a decent skater who is looking at a few different models on sale. Bauer Vapor X600, X700, and CCM Tacks Classic Pro. Anyone have an suggestion or experience with any of those models?

Also, my Easton Mako skates are probably on their last legs - most rivots have been replaced, toe caps on both skates has had some kind of glue/filler to fill small holes, and my Shotblocker on one skate broke off as well. Not sure what to replace them with really, I've been a big fan of them since I got them years ago.

Thanks,

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Bauer has a machine that will size your skate to your foot at the shop. I even think CCM has it as well. Bauer makes fatter skates in the soles compared to CCM. Every time I try CCM it gives me uncomfortable fit. Let me guess you’re buying online? Don’t do it. Please goto a hockey store before buying.

Reactions: Cams

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Bauer has a machine that will size your skate to your foot at the shop. I even think CCM has it as well. Bauer makes fatter skates in the soles compared to CCM. Every time I try CCM it gives me uncomfortable fit. Let me guess you’re buying online? Don’t do it. Please goto a hockey store before buying.
My friend went to a LHS, took pics of skates on sale and asked for my opinion. Figured I'd ask here, but I said to try on several models and let his feet tell him what seems right.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Each line within Bauer (Vapor, Nexus, Supreme) and CCM (Tacks, JetSpeed, Ribcore) will fit a little bit differently, to give you an idea of what might be the best tailored fit.

Once you figure out the best line and model, you can choose the tiering based on features and performance you need within the line.

bauer-skates-fit-en.jpg
img_0540.png

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Each line within Bauer (Vapor, Nexus, Supreme) and CCM (Tacks, JetSpeed, Ribcore) will fit a little bit differently, to give you an idea of what might be the best tailored fit.

Once you figure out the best line and model, you can choose the tiering based on features and performance you need within the line.

bauer-skates-fit-en.jpg
img_0540.png

yup!!! I had to goto supremes because I’m to fat. The vapor lines don’t work anymore.

But either way..... I’m shocked the OP doesn’t have the Bauer or CCM machine that fits you. You basically walk into the store and don’t even have to shop.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
yup!!! I had to goto supremes because I’m to fat. The vapor lines don’t work anymore.

But either way..... I’m shocked the OP doesn’t have the Bauer or CCM machine that fits you. You basically walk into the store and don’t even have to shop.

Yes and no.......I mean, you won't for sure until you actually lace up a model or 2. I am close to buying to skates, and they will be in the Supreme line (coming from a Vapor XXIX). I got the Vapor as a closeout model like 12 years ago, and not sure if they actually were the best fit at the time. What I am saying is make sure to try on a couple. Obviously, you will still have to factor in baking them when you make the purchase, which will make the fit even better.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Yes and no.......I mean, you won't for sure until you actually lace up a model or 2. I am close to buying to skates, and they will be in the Supreme line (coming from a Vapor XXIX). I got the Vapor as a closeout model like 12 years ago, and not sure if they actually were the best fit at the time. What I am saying is make sure to try on a couple. Obviously, you will still have to factor in baking them when you make the purchase, which will make the fit even better.

for sure! Just make sure you bake them first. I would literally spend about 45 minutes walking in them at the store before purchase. The vapors felt nice and cozy after the bake. But as soon as I skated in them? Horrible on my soles and ankles. The supremes were the ones I had to get after returning em.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
I have the Nexus 1000s and they are the best mix of comfort and performance of any pair of skates I've ever owned. If you like an old-school boot that still has the best in modern energy transfer technology and great overall performance then high-end Nexus skates are the way to go if you're a Bauer guy.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
for sure! Just make sure you bake them first. I would literally spend about 45 minutes walking in them at the store before purchase. The vapors felt nice and cozy after the bake. But as soon as I skated in them? Horrible on my soles and ankles. The supremes were the ones I had to get after returning em.

I find the Vapor line, at least for me, is almost too roomy in the toe box. At the store last week I tried the Vapor X2.9 and Supreme S29. I could feel my big toe and almost the ball of my foot feel like it was lifting off the foot bed area, whereas the Supreme was nice and snug. Breaking in skates sucks! Even with baking....unless the skate tech and baking technique has changed over the last 10 years. Yet, my last time out, my old Vapors didn't actually feel too bad.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I find the Vapor line, at least for me, is almost too roomy in the toe box. At the store last week I tried the Vapor X2.9 and Supreme S29. I could feel my big toe and almost the ball of my foot feel like it was lifting off the foot bed area, whereas the Supreme was nice and snug. Breaking in skates sucks! Even with baking....unless the skate tech and baking technique has changed over the last 10 years. Yet, my last time out, my old Vapors didn't actually feel too bad.

they do have to take time to break into. But since I gained weight over the years? And I tried on numerous vapors that felt comfortable. After 2 or 4 games I started getting blisters. And that’s normal from 10 years ago technology to now. The supremes were the ones I had to goto due to a different fit. You also have to understand the bones in your ankles and your foot move differently year to year. I wouldn’t be surprised if I go back to vapor line soon.

All I’m saying is try on a pair. If it works in the store? Try it on the ice. Give it a game or 2. If you get blisters? And your feet hurt? It’s not because of breaking them in. It’s because the sole of the boot doesn’t fit you correctly as well as the ankle. I’ve never seen one store not accept a return from
California to all the way in Toronto with minor use.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->