skate question...

mikek1710

Sep 24, 2007
MA
I haven't skated in a couple years and my skates are in rough shape. I was hoping to get some new ones, I haven't kept up with the equipment since high school and they no longer make CCM tacks (that I can tell).

My question is what would be the skates would be equal to CCM 1052 tacks from 2004? Also I think the boots might be in ok shape on my skates, would it be possible/worth it to take them to a hockey store and see if I can get new blades put on them?

Thanks

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I haven't skated in a couple years and my skates are in rough shape. I was hoping to get some new ones, I haven't kept up with the equipment since high school and they no longer make CCM tacks (that I can tell).

My question is what would be the skates would be equal to CCM 1052 tacks from 2004? Also I think the boots might be in ok shape on my skates, would it be possible/worth it to take them to a hockey store and see if I can get new blades put on them?

Thanks

It's hard to tell you if your skates are worth keeping- I'd have to see them. If the boot is ok, you can probably replace the runners (and the holders, if necessary) but that will likely cost you somewhere around $100 depending on who does it.

When you say equal, do you mean on par with the quality of the 1052's or something that fits similar to them?

mikek1710

Sep 24, 2007
MA
Yeah what I meant to say was quality. I haven't skated much over the past 6 years (not at all in 2) and being out of it a lot of things changed.

Rush22*

I will fill you in, I have a ton of experience with equipment.

Reebok makes an awful product. Easton makes great performing products that don't hold up very well. CCM makes one quality skate (the U+ CL Pro), the rest is crap like Reebok. Graf I have no personal experience with but everyone who has a pair seems to love them.

I personally would get a set of Bauer Vapor X60 skates, they are phenomenal. Bauer products perform great and are very durable.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I will fill you in, I have a ton of experience with equipment.

Reebok makes an awful product. Easton makes great performing products that don't hold up very well. CCM makes one quality skate (the U+ CL Pro), the rest is crap like Reebok. Graf I have no personal experience with but everyone who has a pair seems to love them.

I personally would get a set of Bauer Vapor X60 skates, they are phenomenal. Bauer products perform great and are very durable.

Very, very bad advice. Don't just suggest one skate. Every skate fits different. Sure, the X:60 is nice but what happens if it doesn't fit him at all? I know I can't fit my wide foot into them. Not to mention skates fit different even within the same line.

As for OP, if the boot is structurally sound there's no reason to get rid of them. I'm sure they can set you up with new steel and/or holders. If you're really interested in new skates all together go find a hockey shop in your area and try on all the skates they have in your size (and budget). Go with the ones that fit the best. Like I said, virtually every skate fits different these days so it's best to try on as many as possible before deciding.

Rush22*

Very, very bad advice. Don't just suggest one skate. Every skate fits different. Sure, the X:60 is nice but what happens if it doesn't fit him at all? I know I can't fit my wide foot into them. Not to mention skates fit different even within the same line.

As for OP, if the boot is structurally sound there's no reason to get rid of them. I'm sure they can set you up with new steel and/or holders. If you're really interested in new skates all together go find a hockey shop in your area and try on all the skates they have in your size (and budget). Go with the ones that fit the best. Like I said, virtually every skate fits different these days so it's best to try on as many as possible before deciding.
You can get X60 skates in a EE width... the only reason I would shy away from X60 skates is if you do not like the aggressive forward cut of the boot... if that is the case then I would go with the Supreme line which is a more upright cut.

My basic advice was just to pick between a Bauer or Graf skate.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
You can get X60 skates in a EE width... the only reason I would shy away from X60 skates is if you do not like the aggressive forward cut of the boot... if that is the case then I would go with the Supreme line which is a more upright cut.

My basic advice was just to pick between a Bauer or Graf skate.

I tried X:60 in EE, didn't work for me personally. I measure at EEE, found the supremes in EE a wee bit tight and they're supposed to be oversized. So just because something works for you doesn't mean it's the greatest skate

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don't listen to Rush22, just chose your price range and then get whatever skate fits you best in that range, regardless of the brand. The Bauer Vapor skates are very good skates IF they fit you, but the fit of Vapors and Tacks could not be more different, Vapors are one of the narrowest skates on the market, Tacks were renowned for being very wide. If Tacks fit you the best, Vapors will almost certainly fit you horribly.

Last edited:

mikek1710

Sep 24, 2007
MA
Don't listen to Rush22, just chose your price range and then get whatever skate fits you best in that range, regardless of the brand. The Bauer Vapor skates are very good skates IF they fit you, but the fit of Vapors and Tacks could not be more different, Vapors are one of the narrowest skates on the market, Tacks were renowned for being very wide.

Yeah I got a wide foot, probably why I liked the tacks. I was wearing D skates until I was 15, at which point I went from a 9.5 D to a 7 E. I had that "where have you been all my life" feeling.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Jesus, were they the same line of skate? 2.5 sizes up musta been brutal. Too long and not wide enough :-x.

The wider skates these days seem to be Bauer Flexlites, Bauer Supremes, CCM, Eastons, and Reeboks (sorta). I'm sure Graf has something wide too.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah I got a wide foot, probably why I liked the tacks. I was wearing D skates until I was 15, at which point I went from a 9.5 D to a 7 E. I had that "where have you been all my life" feeling.

Eastons have the most similar fit to old school tacks, from what I've tried. wide forefoot, narrow heel. And durability problems are overstated. Reeboks are also similar in shape, but they have a really wide heel. Ridiculously wide, even. they now allow retailers to order a version with a AA width heel (as opposed to the normal A) just so they can have something with a normal sized heel in stock.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Don't listen to Rush22, just chose your price range and then get whatever skate fits you best in that range, regardless of the brand.
^ This. :nod: Reebok and CCM is the same company and Ive had absolutely no issues with my CCM Vectors over the past 8 months of skating 2-3 times a week.
Try on all the various brands and models and buy whatever fits you the best. All of the major brands are good, its just a matter of finding a boot that fits.

macgyverthatshiz

Apr 3, 2010
North Carolina
Depends on your skill level. Too many players at my rink in the D league show up with 700.00 skates and they can't even stop. The top of the line skates are generally constructed for experienced skaters in regards to stiffness, protection, and forward pitch. But if you have the loot, get whatever you want I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad