Skate Question

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
I've always been a really strong skater -- played AA hockey my whole life -- but ~2 years ago, I got new skates and have never really gotten used to them. I notice lately that when I'm skating, I'm curling my toes up in my skates, kinda like I'm stopping myself from falling forward? Now I know what you're thinking -- the skates are too small, right? Wrong, my toes are nowhere near the end of the skate. However, I went to a foot doctor the other day (unrelated issue) and he told me I should be wearing a "wide" shoe -- could this be part of the issue? Are my skates simply too narrow? Or is it something else? Any suggestions welcome!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Having a narrow skate has nothing to do with you curling your toes up. When you're skating, do you feel yourself naturally leaning forward? If so, it could be that the steel is profiled incorrectly/differently than what your used to, giving you a possible forward lean. Take them to an LHS to get it checked out.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
I thought the same thing -- but you'd think I'd have gotten used to it over the past 2 seasons? I mean, I'm on the ice at least twice a week, at some point you'd think I'd just get used to it.

I did go from wearing Missions to Bauer Supremes -- is there a significant difference in the lie of the 2 skates?

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
Can't remember the exact model off the top of my head -- will check when I get home later.

I think I had a forward (aggressive) radius put on them when I first bought them, so maybe I'll get that checked out and go from there...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Supremes could be considered 'neutral' in a sense that they (can most skates) come with stock 10' radius. Definitely go and see what kind of modifications you made when you bought them for sure.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
If your skates are too narrow in the forefoot, it could very well cause you to curl the outside toes up. Did to me on one of my Grafs before I had it punched out. That said, Bauers are not narrow skates by any stretch, so unless you have a really wide foot, I doubt that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad