Skate oven vs. home baking

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Got 2 used pairs of mint condition Supreme 3S Pro & Vapor 2X skates online for my kids so it doesn't come with baking at the store. Was wondering if there's really any difference between the Bauer ovens and just using a home oven. There's this video but not sure how relevant it is with today's skates: How to Bake a Hockey Skate at Home | Ice Warehouse

Skate oven at the local Play It Again Sports is $15 each, Pure Hockey $20. Thoughts?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
The Bauer ovens have a nice little timer that rings when done, and the temperature will be accurate. And of course they are compact and suitable for shop use. I’ve baked my skates twice at home in my electric convection oven. The danger with a home oven is that the temperature might be inaccurate or uneven. And of course the top shelf is hotter than the lower ones. Convection ovens have a more even temperature. If unsure, get an oven thermometer and check. I placed my skates on a wire shelf in the oven.

As an aside, I know someone who baked his skates in a gas oven. He melted the tendon guard of one with the naked flame at the back of the oven. I’m not sure if it is advisable to bake skates in a gas oven. And definitely don’t use pizza ovens or a tandoor!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad