Skate match to stride type?

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Is there any rhyme or reason to purchasing a skate based off of a skaters stride type or looking for a skate that would work with a certain stride type? After "fit" is confirmed of course. Skate shop guy was explaining to me that the Tack line is more of a long stride power skate whereas Supremes are more agility mid length and choppy strides. Is this all BS or ?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Won't claim to be an expert, but I've never heard of retail skates being designed for stride type.

I mean, from what I know, the skate's profile is what you optimize to suit your skating style and needs.

Maybe they were talking about the stock profiles that come with each skate. I think Bauer used to come stock with a smaller profile radius, giving more agility, thus meaning CCM's larger radius better for stability and longer strides. But now days, I believe both companies's skates have the same stock profile radius and obviously, profiles can be changed to what ever you want regardless of skate brand.

Reactions: PlayoffBeard365

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No. I call BS on that. Those things you mentioned would fall more under blade and skate profiling then anything to do with the lines themselves.

Reactions: PlayoffBeard365

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Bauer LS4/5 runners are a ten foot radius, LS2 are a nine foot radius, which means more agile but less speed. Step Steel are a ten foot radius. I think these days most people prefer the ten foot radius.

My view is that you are better off improving your skating technique, that provides the biggest gains, then fiddle around with profiles etc. I do believe that a stiffer boot (top end versus mid range say) can provide more speed, as there is greater power transfer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad