Skate Break In Question

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
I'm breaking in some new Vapor 10's. I've worn them for about 3 hours on the ice and my blisters became too much to bare (literally ripped off my skin, 3 weeks later still not healed...ouch!). Anyway, before I get back on the ice I want to wear them around the house for a half hour-hour a day for a few days. I've heard that wetting a sock (damp) and wearing that in the skates when you walk around simulates a sweaty foot and helps break the skates in more. Is this true? I don't want to ruin my new boots by doing something foolish, and though it sounds like a decent enough idea I thought I would double check with you guys first.

Cheers.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I'm breaking in some new Vapor 10's. I've worn them for about 3 hours on the ice and my blisters became too much to bare (literally ripped off my skin, 3 weeks later still not healed...ouch!). Anyway, before I get back on the ice I want to wear them around the house for a half hour-hour a day for a few days. I've heard that wetting a sock (damp) and wearing that in the skates when you walk around simulates a sweaty foot and helps break the skates in more. Is this true? I don't want to ruin my new boots by doing something foolish, and though it sounds like a decent enough idea I thought I would double check with you guys first.

Cheers.

Well my dad had a good system for us. He would get us lined up in our skates, wearing the socks that we normally wear and go on the carpet. My mom HATED us.

Stand on the carpet and start "stretching" the skates. Lean one way...lean the other...deep knee bends. We used to do that for an hour or two. Or else we did would tie our skates ULTRA tight...do the same stretches...then loosen them and do the stretches again. We would put on hot wet socks as well.

Also, take them in and get them punched out if its possible to relieve some pressure points.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
I'm breaking in some new skates at the moment too. The first time I wore them to play wasn't too bad at all becuase I spent the previous week:

- heat molding them
- wearing them round the house
- wearing warm, wet socks while wearing the skates
- leaving pucks in the ankle area and lacing the skates up overnight

They still hurt a little when I wore them for the first time, but I was expecting it to be much worse (I'd heard some people really complain about the break in period of the model I bought). Its going to take a few more weeks to have them get towards the comfort level of my old skates, but I reckon if I carry on doing what I've been doing, they will work out nicely.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Already had them baked but it wasn't enough to save my feet, so I was just mainly double checking that the wet socks was okay to do. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Also, anything I should look for from walking around that could happen (though I doubt walking around with blade guards could ever bend the blade).

Last edited:

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
You should be fine.

I spent many hours as a child in skate guards.

How did it go BTW?

Went great, thanks for asking. Played again today as well, I'm really liking the skates now that they are mostly broken in.

One more question, the only thing that's really painful now are my toes. They get swollen/bruised on the small/pinkie toes on the outside, and feel cramped during play. I'm guessing staying on them will stretch them out, they're just really sore after I'm done playing. Just want to make sure this is normal. I suppose I could always get them punched at LHS.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Went great, thanks for asking. Played again today as well, I'm really liking the skates now that they are mostly broken in.

One more question, the only thing that's really painful now are my toes. They get swollen/bruised on the small/pinkie toes on the outside, and feel cramped during play. I'm guessing staying on them will stretch them out, they're just really sore after I'm done playing. Just want to make sure this is normal. I suppose I could always get them punched at LHS.

Get them punched out. They won't stretch all that much from normal use.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

Cheers.

As much as this seems true, I wouldn't recommend that. From having a cut foot that's lasted 3 weeks, wetting a sock like that could cause infection in the cuts or around the scars, which would knock you out even longer. Do what was mentioned before, just wear them every once in a while and lean side to side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad