Advice: Skate Blade problem(I think)

ThisisBen

Jan 13, 2014
Toronto
So, on my left skate there seems to be a problem(I think).

On the toe/side of my Holder/Blade of my left skate there seems to be a space about half a millimetre(or just below half) separating the blade from the holder. When I push on the side of the blade, it moves since there is the space for it to move.

I haven't really noticed it while I'm skating, although it may be because I'm not a great enough skater to notice it?

Anyone know what happened/is happening here? Is this a problem? If it is a problem, how much of a problem is this? Should I take it to my LHS to check on/repair if possible?

Here are some pictures that will hopefully illustrate the problem.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hard to tell, there's not enough lighting on the problem area and the shadows throw off the perspective.

But of course, it could be worth a trip for peace of mind!

ThisisBen

Jan 13, 2014
Toronto
Basically, where the pictures(except the last one) are circled, there is a bit of a gap separating the holder from the blade on my left skate.

If I push the blade on the side towards the gap, the blade moves(not in and out of the holder but side to side as much as the gap allows).

I just wanted to know if anyone has had something like this happen with their skates and whether it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

I live pretty far from where I bought the skates and it also happens to be the closest LHS to me so I was hoping to know whether it is worth the trip to go there.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
If you can move it noticeably with your fingers it's loose and should be fixed. If you don't know what you're doing, bring it into somewhere the does and it should be a relatively easy fix

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
have you tried re-seating the blade?

Bauer skate blades are really easy to change out with one screw. try that first. I don't think it's a huge problem especially if you don't feel it when you skate.

besides, that area is the toe of the blade. It's mostly for toe starts and acceleration. not nearly used as much as your flat and heel.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
Take the blade out, lay some teflon (plumber) tape over the top, put the blade back in. Usually that will take up the empty space. If you still have wiggle, try it again with a thicker tape, like clear packing tape or sock tape. You might have to give the blade a good whack (rubber mallet or on a table) to get it back into the holder, but it will snug everything up.

Edit: forgot to mention that once the blade is back in place you should trim the tape that sticks out with a razor blade.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I believe that you would need the special TUUK wrench to take out the steel.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
I believe that you would need the special TUUK wrench to take out the steel.

No, just a 5/16" nut driver. Take out the footbed, pull out the plug in the heel, and unscrew the nut. When you put the blade back in I find it is easier to hold the skate upside down when screwing the nut back on.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
No, just a 5/16" nut driver. Take out the footbed, pull out the plug in the heel, and unscrew the nut. When you put the blade back in I find it is easier to hold the skate upside down when screwing the nut back on.

It'd have to be fairly long to get in the tiny hole they leave... stupidest design for blades really.

ThisisBen

Jan 13, 2014
Toronto
So, I decided to go to my LHS to know for sure what the problem was.

According to the person I spoke to, the problem wasn't my skate blade coming loose but actually the holder wearing down ever so slightly. That news definitely sounds worse than just a loose blade considering these skates are still fairly new(although I have been using them a BUNCH since buying them).

That being said, the only advise he gave me was to make sure I dried my skates properly after using them and to take out the insoles(all of this I do).

Is there anything else I can do to slow down this apparent wear and tear and is there anything that can be done to repair this?

divmedic4

Feb 26, 2014
This is my first post but wanted to contribute here. I recently had a similar problem with Nexus 400 but it was on the heel. It took a couple different people at my LHS but it was discovered the holder was actually torqued. This was causing the blade to spread and warp. I was fortunate that mine were still in warranty. I contacted Bauer via their warranty email and had a replacement pair of Nexus 600 within 10 days.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
So, on my left skate there seems to be a problem(I think).

On the toe/side of my Holder/Blade of my left skate there seems to be a space about half a millimetre(or just below half) separating the blade from the holder. When I push on the side of the blade, it moves since there is the space for it to move.

I haven't really noticed it while I'm skating, although it may be because I'm not a great enough skater to notice it?

Question: Does the blade move in and out? Does it click when you walk? If it doesn't, nothing is wrong with the blade/skate. You just might need to get it sharpened correctly.

Normally if the blade is has problems with movement, you can move it with your fingers. If you can't move the blade with your fingers...nothing is wrong. I recommend that you check the level of the blade cut.

Sometimes having a lower edge on that side will allow the skate to feel like it's slipping.

moreoutdoor

Jan 25, 2014
Central Coast CA
So, I decided to go to my LHS to know for sure what the problem was.

According to the person I spoke to, the problem wasn't my skate blade coming loose but actually the holder wearing down ever so slightly. That news definitely sounds worse than just a loose blade considering these skates are still fairly new(although I have been using them a BUNCH since buying them).

That being said, the only advise he gave me was to make sure I dried my skates properly after using them and to take out the insoles(all of this I do).

Is there anything else I can do to slow down this apparent wear and tear and is there anything that can be done to repair this?

I'm trying to understand how a holder 'wears down' - especially if the holder is on straight and true. What part of the holder 'wears down ' - did the shop person say?

And I'm not sure what remving the insoles would have to do with this? Drying skates is always a good thing, but given they are not years old, what would this do to the skate? We're not talkin leather outsole or any other material which should breakdown to any measureable amount because it gets wet? I mean 'wet' is expected always, right?

Sounds like nonsense(mod edit) to me - I'd be asking the manu to take care of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
I'm trying to understand how a holder 'wears down' - especially if the holder is on straight and true. What part of the holder 'wears down ' - did the shop person say?

And I'm not sure what remving the insoles would have to do with this? Drying skates is always a good thing, but given they are not years old, what would this do to the skate? We're not talkin leather outsole or any other material which should breakdown to any measureable amount because it gets wet? I mean 'wet' is expected always, right?

Sounds like nonsense(mod edit) to me - I'd be asking the manu to take care of the problem.

The plastic of the holder can wear down. The blade has a hook that attaches in the front of the holder, but it is anchored with a nut at the rear. Since only the back of the blade can be tightened there can occasionally be shifting in the front of the blade. The metal can wear down the plastic. It is usually minute, in that you can move it slightly with your fingers but it won't be noticed when skating. I mentioned in a post above how to negate the shifting. These minor issues pop-up fairly often in skates, sometimes you just need to do a quick fix. It will usually solve the issue.

As mentioned by HeadCoach, if the blade doesn't click when you walk and you can't move it in and out of the holder it is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

moreoutdoor

Jan 25, 2014
Central Coast CA
The plastic of the holder can wear down. The blade has a hook that attaches in the front of the holder, but it is anchored with a nut at the rear. Since only the back of the blade can be tightened there can occasionally be shifting in the front of the blade. The metal can wear down the plastic. It is usually minute, in that you can move it slightly with your fingers but it won't be noticed when skating. I mentioned in a post above how to negate the shifting. These minor issues pop-up fairly often in skates, sometimes you just need to do a quick fix. It will usually solve the issue.

As mentioned by HeadCoach, if the blade doesn't click when you walk and you can't move it in and out of the holder it is fine.

I do understand that there might be areas, like where the runner hooks into the holder, that might wear over considerable time, with a loose blade. But having a considerable gap at the sides is a QA issue, and .5mm of sideplay is a lot in what should be tight tolerances (OP's observation).
It could be a holder with runner gap at the outside of proper width, or a runner thinner than spec'd or some combination of both.

I like your earlier suggestion, using plumber's teflon tape on the runner to take up that space. If it was my skate, and everything else was ok, I'd do the tape, and then if that doesn't work, then take it to the manu to make it right.
And I might question that shop guy's pronouncement. Maybe he should have given the OP some of your suggestion to handle the issue rather than smoke and mirrors which seem to have added more concern for the OP.
I'm all for dealing with the small issues when one can - that's what forums like this are great for. But if the OP's comments about his shop visit are accurate, then the shop has done a disservice. They should at least be up to your 'service' level :) .

ThisisBen

Jan 13, 2014
Toronto
The blade, as far as my eye can tell, does not shift in and out of the holder. It only moves side to side as much as the gap allows(about 1/2mm or less).

It doesn't seem to have affected my skating, although I'm not exactly an expert skater at this point in time.

Take the blade out, lay some teflon (plumber) tape over the top, put the blade back in. Usually that will take up the empty space. If you still have wiggle, try it again with a thicker tape, like clear packing tape or sock tape. You might have to give the blade a good whack (rubber mallet or on a table) to get it back into the holder, but it will snug everything up.

Edit: forgot to mention that once the blade is back in place you should trim the tape that sticks out with a razor blade.

Where would I go to purchase the special Bauer screwdriver?

Also, does anyone know where Bunga Pads(or good alternatives) can be purchased in Toronto?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You don't need to buy one, any shop would have one.

I don't know about bunga, but Elite has an H-shaped gel lacebite pad you can get from Sportcheks and Nationals.

ThisisBen

Jan 13, 2014
Toronto
You don't need to buy one, any shop would have one.

I don't know about bunga, but Elite has an H-shaped gel lacebite pad you can get from Sportcheks and Nationals.

I thought forbs02's suggestion was a home fix and not a store fix.

Also, I was thinking more Bunga heel pads or alternatives like it.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Why do you want the bunga heel pad? Like for what purpose? Heel lock?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad