SKA Vice-President Rotenberg names self head coach of SKA

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Rotenborg received his coaching license three years ago from state-ran university. He has previously told he has watched over 800 games since 2014 and considers it as serious experience. That's about it in a nutshell.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No wonder KHL gets laughed at. Whats next - Putin coaches ZSKA? Maybe also play 1C and goes unbeaten the whole season?
It is also laughable that Rotenberg gets some coaching license from some Russian "state-run university". The guy has never coached anything and promotes himself to head-coach in KHL? Maybe start with juniors etc? "Watched 800 games". Shit - I have probably watched 1000+. Maybe I can be head-coach in NHL?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is anyone really surprised? If anything, he was probably the head behind most decisions SKA made last couple of years already. I said numerous times it seemed like Bragin was just a puppet or some guy who runs the practice so that Romka wouldn't have to. Which, by the way, probably going to remain that way, I doubt he will actually be much of use on a day-to-day basis, he will focus on "big picture" stuff.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is anyone really surprised? If anything, he was probably the head behind most decisions SKA made last couple of years already. I said numerous times it seemed like Bragin was just a puppet or some guy who runs the practice so that Romka wouldn't have to. Which, by the way, probably going to remain that way, I doubt he will actually be much of use on a day-to-day basis, he will focus on "big picture" stuff.
Yes, 100% of the Slovak & Czech hockey journalists are surprised.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Do they not follow the KHL? SKA was not so discretely moving towards this for two years now.
They do not follow the KHL. Guessing they should know some major things happening in the KHL, but that´s all. I would not be surprised if you know much more about the KHL than them. Honestly.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Common guys. There are experienced players, that know how to play. They can coached themselves. Coach is only a mascot, that will do nothing important.

"Players can coach themselves"... not sure you follow professional hockey very closely but coaches have a huge impact on team performance and implementing cohesive systems of play, strategies for the PP/PK, line combinations as well as a lot of behind the scenes player management. Having a guy who has no clue what he's doing coach one of the KHL's top teams could really have a negative impact come playoff time when little details become much more important.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
"Players can coach themselves"... not sure you follow professional hockey very closely but coaches have a huge impact on team performance and implementing cohesive systems of play, strategies for the PP/PK, line combinations as well as a lot of behind the scenes player management. Having a guy who has no clue what he's doing coach one of the KHL's top teams could really have a negative impact come playoff time when little details become much more important.

Roten is head coach in name only. I suspect Bragin will still do all the tactical coaching.

This is just a move to further solidify his personal fiefdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and wacko2

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hey I've been doing fantasy hockey for 21 years. Maybe I should be an NHL GM.
This is less funny than you think and happens a lot around hockey all over the world. Whether this is smart is an another discussion. But for now it is a SKA internal affair and as such their problem.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
SKA has been KHL's flagship product in recent years though. Everyone's used to teams like Kunlun or Vityaz being a shitshow, but SKA has the ability to tarnish the league's reputation in a whole new way.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How many of them have coached their team?
Rotenberg is not the owner of the team. This is just the same nepotism as everywhere. People are talking about the Oilers being a country club for quite some time now. This is partially why I enjoy watching them fail, just as much as I do with SKA. Rotenberg was doing the same with SKA a lot. Now he just decided to name himself coach. Nothing very new really in the house of SKA.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00