Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Tomas Hertl re-signed (2 years, $3M AAV)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagine that Hertl and his agent saw Toffoli as a comparable and sought something similar.

Toffoli in 2014-15 (last year of ELC) had 23g & 49pts in 76gms. He then signed a 2-year bridge deal for $3.25M AAV.

Hertl in 2015-16 (last year of ELC) had 21g & 46pts in 81gms. He just signed a 2-year bridge deal for $3M AAV.

Toffoli is now a 30-goal scorer and is in line for probably a 6x6 deal, at the minimum. Hertl could be worth the same in a couple of years. He maybe could've gotten a 4.5x8 deal right now, which would be $36M, but that would be the same as the 6x6 deal that he may get in a couple of years, so he gets an extra $6M with this deal and the organization has the ability to keep this current team around for another year or two.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I kinda wanted a longer, bigger deal to eat up some prime years at a discount, but this is solid

Wilson has been really good these past two summers, hopefully it continues

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
DW played it safe here. He's injured his knee bad enough to miss games in two seasons. I'm sure part of the bridge is to see how durable he's gonna be.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's a possession driver and a first line forward.

Here, take a look at this graph, it'll make you look silly. He's #48.

CmFcnBdUoAAGU_q

He's also top4 in Pts/60 on the Sharks.

He also uses his "big ass" to create space for the Joes: http://www.fearthefin.com/2016/2/16/11030464/tomas-hertl-uses-his-big-ass-to-enter-offensive-zone

I apologize for having an opinion. People are acting like I said I despise the guy hahah... bizzare

Im sure there are a lot of young players every person isnt overly impressed with that others love... its not a big deal, but obviously I hit a nerve with people by speaking about him. I appologize

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
I apologize for having an opinion. People are acting like I said I despise the guy hahah... bizzare

Im sure there are a lot of young players every person isnt overly impressed with that others love... its not a big deal, but obviously I hit a nerve with people by speaking about him. I appologize

It's just weird since he's such a complete hockey player at a young age. HF usually eats those guys up. I guess maybe it'd help some people come to terms with your opinion if you gave us an example of a player you are impressed by.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I just want to know why. Why are you not "overly impressed with him" and who impresses you?

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
He's going to get paid big time two seasons from now but Marleau and Thornton's contracts will be expiring then so that'll work out perfectly.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion per se, but when you have an opinion, especially one that goes against everyone else's, expect to have that opinion challenged, and expect to have to justify it. You can't state something that goes against the grain and get upset when people disagree, present facts contrary to your opinion, and expect an explanation.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Smart to give Hertl a bridge deal imo. San Jose needs to gear up for the final cup run(s) of Thornton and Marleau's careers and will need the extra cap space to do it.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He's a possession driver and a first line forward.

Here, take a look at this graph, it'll make you look silly. He's #48.

CmFcnBdUoAAGU_q

He's also top4 in Pts/60 on the Sharks.

He also uses his "big ass" to create space for the Joes: http://www.fearthefin.com/2016/2/16/11030464/tomas-hertl-uses-his-big-ass-to-enter-offensive-zone

Pretty amazing that the guy is arguably as good as Thornton as a possession forward. Not that Thornton has nothing to do with that, but it's a rare player that actually makes Thornton better at the same time.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
There's nothing wrong with having an opinion per se, but when you have an opinion, especially one that goes against everyone else's, expect to have that opinion challenged, and expect to have to justify it. You can't state something that goes against the grain and get upset when people disagree, present facts contrary to your opinion, and expect an explanation.

My guess is he's not going to come back to defend his point.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
God, this is to the letter the exact deal I was hoping Hertl would sign. He'll get his money when Marleau is up and that way we can sign him to a long deal then that will eat a ton of UFA years through his prime.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
God, this is to the letter the exact deal I was hoping Hertl would sign. He'll get his money when Marleau is up and that way we can sign him to a long deal then that will eat a ton of UFA years through his prime.

Assuming he continues to develop and turns into a 65-75 point guy what do you think he gets in his next contract? 7 mil for 6 years?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Assuming he continues to develop and turns into a 65-75 point guy what do you think he gets in his next contract? 7 mil for 6 years?

I'd expect something like that since that would probably be the equivalent of the $6m per for 5 years that Couture and Pavs got a couple years ago.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I imagine that Hertl and his agent saw Toffoli as a comparable and sought something similar.

Toffoli in 2014-15 (last year of ELC) had 23g & 49pts in 76gms. He then signed a 2-year bridge deal for $3.25M AAV.

Hertl in 2015-16 (last year of ELC) had 21g & 46pts in 81gms. He just signed a 2-year bridge deal for $3M AAV.

Toffoli is now a 30-goal scorer and is in line for probably a 6x6 deal, at the minimum. Hertl could be worth the same in a couple of years. He maybe could've gotten a 4.5x8 deal right now, which would be $36M, but that would be the same as the 6x6 deal that he may get in a couple of years, so he gets an extra $6M with this deal and the organization has the ability to keep this current team around for another year or two.

Thought Toffoli when I saw the deal, but also felt like LA was in a much tighter cap spot when Toffoli took his bridge deal.

I didn't think SJ was that tight at the moment so thought they could do something a little longer-term now. Gives them a bit more money though to add to the roster if they decide to do so.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I didn't think SJ was that tight at the moment so thought they could do something a little longer-term now. Gives them a bit more money though to add to the roster if they decide to do so.

The Sharks have a lot coming off the books in the next two years, so they'll be able to extend him for however much is necessary.

Because of injury problems (ahem, your former Captain), a bridge deal was beneficial. If he is continuing to have problems with that knee (like he has) over the next two years, the Sharks won't be on the hook for a lot of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad