Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Golf I don't know it's crazy though he keeps getting signed. I get he's a good teammate and must be almost like another coach but his on-ice ability has really slipped since his second season in Toronto. The last two years he should have not played let alone another one.

I agree that teams shouldn't even be signing him at this point, I don't think it really matters how good of a teammate he is unless he's willing to be a 13th forward. He shouldn't be seeing the ice regularly.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
tenor.gif

Let us let him be the judge of that, right?

Marleau is obviously not a top-6 forward, and was atrocious for Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but he had a bottom-6 quality regular season.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
He was the worst player ever to have played for the Pittsburgh Penguins last season, completely done.

Florida Panthers ditched Jagr after he put up 46 points in 82 games. Jagr should have gotten the Marleau treatment, he would still be playing in the NHL if he had :D

Reactions: Doogle and Morrison

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Sharks need to move on from this era and forget about Marleau and Thornton. It reminds me of how the Canucks couldn't move forward until the Sedins hung them up.

Injecting youth in to your line up is no joke, it really does revitalize a roster.

Reactions: Doogle and Morrison

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Good for Marleau.. crazy that he still does what he does at this age. I know people like 8 years younger than him that cringe at the thought of going for a walk.. let alone play pro hockey lol

Reactions: qqaz and themelkman

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
On a random (though sort of connected) note, I'm not a fan of players sticking around when they're clearly nowhere near useful just to break records for longevity.

It's one thing if they're still relatively decent players, even if they're no longer at their best. But when players surpass all-time totals more due to sticking around even when they suck, it's no longer impressive to me.

Reactions: Doogle and Shanty

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
His pace with the Sharks (14 goals per game and roughly 28 points) wasn’t awful: Unlike Jagr, Marleau can still skate. I can see him being useful for San Jose especially during a difficult transition. plus playing Marleau with Donato would be hilarious

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Obviously he was awful in Pittsburgh but , i think him going back to his comfort zone will improve his play.

Can't imagine how hard it was as a 40 year old for your season to end abruptly, then begin again 5 months later, being in a bubble.

good point about the bubble and comfort zone.

And yeah he was bad, but more in the completely invisible/just not of use way. Not necessarily some plug stuck in molasses.

If he can still skate around the ice and the guys in the room like him, why not bring him in the break the record and finish his career with the team that drafted him. He’s not gonna kill you in 8-10 min on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->