Confirmed Trade: [SJS/OTT/ANA] Jack Kopacka and SJ 2022 7th to OTT, Christian Jaros to SJ, Trevor Carrick to ANA

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
butwhy.gif

TL;DR version:

Ottawa: Saved a prorated ~$190,000 by making the swap, and they get a 7th rounder for a guy who was on the taxi squad. I'm sure a lot of taxi squad guys on two way deals have their agent bugging their team's GM about moving them to a team where they could potentially collect an NHL paycheck, so Ottawa might have done Saros a solid if they weren't planning on using him.

San Jose: Traded an AHL D for a possible bottom pairing NHL D.

Anaheim: Swapped out a stalled prospect for decent AHL defender, the team will hopefully have a decent playoff run. As a bonus, they acquired the team captain's brother.

Edit: Didn't realize Trevor Carrick was a lefty D, was picturing his brother who shoots right. Maybe easier to run their maple syrup business together.

Last edited:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Any chance San Jose brought in Jaros to backfill a right-handed D moving out? Otherwise I think they would've just kept Middleton around.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Any chance San Jose brought in Jaros to backfill a right-handed D moving out? Otherwise I think they would've just kept Middleton around.

They currently have four LD's in their lineup. Their bottom pairing is Knyzhov and Simek with Simek playing the right side. That pair plays about 14 or 15 minutes a night and seem fine for what they are. I'm guessing that after they saw Meloche play that they wanted an option on the right side without having it be Merkley to keep him playing in the AHL and yo-yo'ing up and down where he may end up being the odd man out with the coach.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
SJ wins. Jaros can play in the NHL and has some physicality. Kopacka likely never wears a Sens uniform.

So this trade is really Jaros for the SJ 2022 7th. Hope Sens can find a gem late in the draft.

Btw Jaros is decent if used in the right situation. He has problems with his consistency of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad