Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Devan Dubnyk (50% retained) and 2022 7th round pick for 2022 5th round pick

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didn't read through the whole thread. Any sense of what direction Minny is going? Markstrom, Holtby? Trade?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I didn't read through the whole thread. Any sense of what direction Minny is going? Markstrom, Holtby? Trade?
The Wild have had rumors of possibly bringing in MAF for the short term to go with Kahkonen who's ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Reactions: hn777

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
Judging by this move I think the Sharks front office is perfectly fine with throwing this season away. They probably feel that, in the position they're in, there's not any moves they can make to turn the team into a real contender, too many holes up and down the line up, so might as well roll the dice on the cheap.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
The real issue with Dubnyk's decline is that it looks like it is driven by the physical decline of age rather than typical goalie headspace issues. He looks slower and less flexible. I don't think an older goalie rebounds from that.

He had good years in Minnesota but he looked done last season. I'm glad he is not our problem anymore.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Is it max of 50% total or 50% per a trade. I always thought it was 50% per a transaction but I could be wrong.
Im pretty sure it is per transaction. So for say a 6m player Team A can retain 3m, then team B can retain 1.5 (50% of 3m) and Team C gets the guy for 1.5m at the lowest

unless it has changed recently....does anyone saying no have source?

EDIT: found Robin Lehner as an example. His 5m contract in February was dealt to Vegas, with Chicago retaining 2.5m then Toronto retaining 1.1, so it was only a 1.4m contract once it got to Vegas (check it on capfriendly, for some reason my iPhone wouldn’t let me copy the link)

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Take out the 1st and Minnesota still says no

I hope this is a joke.

Judging by this move I think the Sharks front office is perfectly fine with throwing this season away. They probably feel that, in the position they're in, there's not any moves they can make to turn the team into a real contender, too many holes up and down the line up, so might as well roll the dice on the cheap.

How is adding two NHL players for draft picks throwing the season away? Are they good NHLers? Donato isn't anything special but a change of scenery might do him well. Dubnyk can easily rebound to a .910sv% goalie. San Jose is a bubble team, there's no question about that. Too much talent only on the backend to warrant this statement.

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
How is adding two NHL players for draft picks throwing the season away? ... Dubnyk can easily rebound to a .910sv% goalie

I'm not saying they're throwing the season away. Im saying they're taking a risk getting an even worse goalie, and they understand that risk and therefore must be fine with a season that goes haywire. If they were against a tanked season at all costs they would absolutely get a better goalie.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'm not saying they're throwing the season away. Im saying they're taking a risk getting an even worse goalie, and they understand that risk and therefore must be fine with a season that goes haywire. If they were against a tanked season at all costs they would absolutely get a better goalie.

Most teams' season can go haywire. A bad mix of injuries, bad form and schedule can lead to that. I like this move for the Sharks because it's so cheap it's not even worth obsessing over. Dubnyk isn't the best goalie available, but in that same thought the better goalies would cost considerably more. San Jose doesn't have the best prospect pool, keeping any of their top pieces is much more logical for them. If anything this shows willingness to improve instead of standing pat or bringing up a young goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->