Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Chris Tierney signs for 2 years ($2.9375 AAV)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Good value. He's a reliable depth center and had a career year offensively with 40 points.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Can you edit the title to add [SJS]?

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
These are such smart deals. Show me what you can do, still an RFA when deal is done, and player can get paid if he shows up.

Reactions: Duck Off

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Pretty good dollar figure. Usually 40 points will get you about 4 million now, give or take. Under 3 is almost a steal.

Player is clearly betting he will play himself into a bigger deal after these 2 years.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sharks have less faith in Tierney than outsiders do, and for good reason. His point total looks good, but he's not good when he's given more responsibility, and is so risk adverse that he misses a lot offensively and defensively.

I'm not complaining since he's a 30-40 point high 4th/low 3rd center, but he leaves a lot left to be desired.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Sharks have less faith in Tierney than outsiders do, and for good reason. His point total looks good, but he's not good when he's given more responsibility, and is so risk adverse that he misses a lot offensively and defensively.

I'm not complaining since he's a 30-40 point high 4th/low 3rd center, but he leaves a lot left to be desired.

Maybe Sharks should sell high and let someone else take the risk?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe Sharks should sell high and let someone else take the risk?

They may at some point but having Tierney to go into this coming season while having an open 4C spot gives the guys they're bringing into camp an opportunity to prove themselves, get a spot on the team, and at some point see more responsibility since Tierney would be easy to move. I could see Carolina and San Jose partnering up for a trade involving Tierney. I'm sure a lot of teams would be willing to take a shot on Tierney. It's hardly a risk paying him this much for two years.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Sharks still haven’t announced this on social media. They announced Dylan DeMelo (a far inferior player) immediately, but didn’t announce Mike Hoffman when they acquired him with the obvious intention of trading him.

BeLeafInTheFuture

Jul 4, 2018
Scotland
I get that Tierney was an RFA, but after seeing that Komarov got $3 mill per season for 19 points, this is a pretty good deal for the Sharks. Gives them a cheap option at center and the cap hit is low enough that if they wanted to trade him, they could easily do it.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Love that other teams fans can see this is a good/fair deal, too bad not many Sharks fans on these boards see it that way.
In fairness, the fanbase that watches a player 82+ times per season is in a far better position to judge him than people who see him much less.

That said, I like Tierney better than most. He surprised us with his production last season. Seems like a late bloomer with more upside yet. He just turned 24.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I know it’s a Tierney thread but since Trouba was mentioned, anyone know if he takes two years does it take him to UFA?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
In fairness, the fanbase that watches a player 82+ times per season is in a far better position to judge him than people who see him much less.

That said, I like Tierney better than most. He surprised us with his production last season. Seems like a late bloomer with more upside yet. He just turned 24.

Tierney has his short-comings, but IMO the complaints are more a comment on the bipolarity of some Sharks fans on this board than Tierney or his contract. He is home=grown, provides decent production, has some offensive creativity, and PK's well. He was given a "prove it" contract last year and did just that. I am excited to see what he does this season where he should play with better line mates than in seasons prior.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Love that other teams fans can see this is a good/fair deal, too bad not many Sharks fans on these boards see it that way.
There's no issue with the deal, it's just Tierney is probably the 4th best center on a team that could use more depth in other areas (wing for ex). He's a tradable asset and this deal probably helps that cause more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad