Confirmed Trade: [SJS/CAR] Hurricanes trade D Trevor Carrick to Sharks for D Kyle Wood

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Carrick's AHL stats are somehow interesting to bolster up a farm team offense. I wonder what Carolina sees in Wood. Wouldn't it have been better for the Canes to keep Carrick since it's a farm team swap?
About 200k guaranteed savings on Carrick. He was slotted to be our #10/11 and our #6 on the left, but he deserves what he got from his ahl play.

Reactions: Luminiferous

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carrick IMO deserves to be in the NHL, but simply got stuck in an incredibly deep Canes farm system. I think he's going to get a shot this year on SJ's third pairing with Braun gone. This trade essentially buys the Canes two years with a younger RHD prospect, who they may need as Dougie and Faulk are up for extensions in the next two seasons. IOW, this is an excellent trade for both teams.

Reactions: Helistin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Carrick IMO deserves to be in the NHL, but simply got stuck in an incredibly deep Canes farm system. I think he's going to get a shot this year on SJ's third pairing with Braun gone. This trade essentially buys the Canes two years with a younger RHD prospect, who they may need as Dougie and Faulk are up for extensions in the next two seasons. IOW, this is an excellent trade for both teams.

Not likely. Braun's opening is on the right side. Carrick will likely be the first guy up when injuries occur especially on the left side. If Vlasic, Simek, or Dillon get hurt, he's probably first man up. But he's not likely to start on the 3rd pairing here. Sharks pairings probably look like...

Simek-Burns
Dillon-Karlsson
Vlasic-Heed
Prout as the 7D

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
wwhxt2.jpg
I mean the caption is literally drawn onto part of the cast on his left leg. the whole story is right there.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Carrick will likely be the first guy up when injuries occur especially on the left side. If Vlasic, Simek, or Dillon get hurt, he's probably first man up. But he's not likely to start on the 3rd pairing here. Sharks pairings probably look like...

Even that is questionable, it really depends of if the staff liked what they saw from Middleton.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Carrick puts up beastly AHL numbers, the type you would expect to translate to NHL success. He may be a good waiver wire target for a team needing a 7/8 D.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I didnt realize it wasnt Kyle Wood lol, Ive never seen what the guy looks like.

All good! Wellwood is a standout memory for Leafs fans because we thought we finally got a gem in the later rounds, but then his head got swollen along with his gut and he ended up waiver fodder.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Charlotte just tearing that championship roster apart.
They lost a lot of talent before last season too, 4 out of their top 5 scorers, and still were the best team in the AHL from wire to wire. Obviously they very likely won't do that again but they'll still be pretty good.

And we kind of had to do it to clear out some room for the next crop of prospects because guys like Poturalski, Carrick and Jurco are AAAA journeyman type players at best, then Saarela and Roy never really took the next step and were starting to get passed over by younger guys.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They lost a lot of talent before last season too, 4 out of their top 5 scorers, and still were the best team in the AHL from wire to wire. Obviously they very likely won't do that again but they'll still be pretty good.

And we kind of had to do it to clear out some room for the next crop of prospects because guys like Poturalski, Carrick and Jurco are AAAA journeyman type players at best, then Saarela and Roy never really took the next step and were starting to get passed over by younger guys.
Not really criticizing them by the way. Just noting it.

Kyle Wood has been an interesting prospect all the way. Great size. Great shot that he didn't use a lot in junior. Skating a big concern in pro.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa scoop him off waivers in training camp. There could be a player there.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not really criticizing them by the way. Just noting it.

Kyle Wood has been an interesting prospect all the way. Great size. Great shot that he didn't use a lot in junior. Skating a big concern in pro.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa scoop him off waivers in training camp. There could be a player there.
Just wanted to provide a bit of context to the moves. And I agree with you on Wood. His size alone makes him a pretty intriguing prospect especially considering he has had pretty decent AHL production too.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He is just a god awful skater from what ive heard.
He improved it considerably in his last year of junior. But again, that's almost three years ago now. Today I imagine he skates like a kid who's 6'7.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i dont understand why wood keeps getting moved

huge dman who has impressive numbers in the AHL starting with his rookie year and hes only just turned 23 at the end of this season...

has his skating improved? didnt see him play this year at all. if someone can get this kid the right person to fix his skating he has some serious potential.

even with his skating issues, seems weird hes been traded 1for1 twice for helewka and carrick.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
i dont understand why wood keeps getting moved

huge dman who has impressive numbers in the AHL starting with his rookie year and hes only just turned 23 at the end of this season...

has his skating improved? didnt see him play this year at all. if someone can get this kid the right person to fix his skating he has some serious potential.

even with his skating issues, seems weird hes been traded 1for1 twice for helewka and carrick.

Skating is not easy to improve when you've been playing hockey for your entire life. There is so much ingrained muscle memory that any improvements you can make as a 20-something are marginal at best, and as you're approaching the elite level of skating needed to hack it just as a depth player in the NHL, making those marginal improvements gets harder and harder.

Skating is core to the game and the league is the fastest its ever been. It's a fundamental skill for which there's no quick or easy fix. I'm always very dubious of prospects with skating issues. We're not in a league where slow but smart players can make a long career trailing the play and setting up on the wall to make some passes anymore. For a long time, that was a viable route to NHL success- see guys like Cory Stillman. But it's not anymore, and those guys become AHL lifers or leave for Europe instead.

Anyway, this deal gives Carrick a real shot at the NHL, which he deserves and I think he can handle as a bottom pairing guy, and leaves the Checkers with a solid AHL defender who they likely don't expect to be anything else.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Carrick gives the sharks another LHD to try out in the preseason in case Simek is fully ready and to give a little more depth. As of now I see it as

Pickles-Burns
Dillon-EK65
Simek-Heed/Prout

On the left it gives the sharks some depth with Middleton. Wood on the other hand was so buried he wasnt going to get a shot. 4 RHD currently on the squad and having Roy/Merkley ahead of him long term. This is more than likely just going to be an absolute AHL deal but I can see why its appealing to the sharks

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Skating is not easy to improve when you've been playing hockey for your entire life. There is so much ingrained muscle memory that any improvements you can make as a 20-something are marginal at best, and as you're approaching the elite level of skating needed to hack it just as a depth player in the NHL, making those marginal improvements gets harder and harder.

Skating is core to the game and the league is the fastest its ever been. It's a fundamental skill for which there's no quick or easy fix. I'm always very dubious of prospects with skating issues. We're not in a league where slow but smart players can make a long career trailing the play and setting up on the wall to make some passes anymore. For a long time, that was a viable route to NHL success- see guys like Cory Stillman. But it's not anymore, and those guys become AHL lifers or leave for Europe instead.

Anyway, this deal gives Carrick a real shot at the NHL, which he deserves and I think he can handle as a bottom pairing guy, and leaves the Checkers with a solid AHL defender who they likely don't expect to be anything else.

Wood is also productive enough at the AHL level (at a young enough age) that I think that he can be an NHL player in a couple of years, particularly because of him being RH. Remember, Dougie and Faulk are both going to be up for extensions within 2 years. If the Canes decide to keep one of them long-term (my personal hope is Dougie), guys like him and/or McKeown can be depth pieces on the right side until someone like Anttoni Honka (hopefully) pans out.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I didnt realize it wasnt Kyle Wood lol, Ive never seen what the guy looks like.
So you went on google images and searched Kyle Wood... And were looking at all the pictures until you reached this on page 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad