GDT: SJ @ COL 7PM MT: It Still Wasn't Offside

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
For me the key difference is the context in which their genetic gifts are on show. The hockey players are there showcasing their genetic gift of athleticism. Lauren is there to be a professional rinkside reporter, not to put her genetic good looks on show. Rather than people commenting on her ability to ask good questions and get exclusives with the team, it's always a comment on how good she looks. That's pretty demeaning because she's spent years of her life gaining experience doing what she does, but all she's good for is eye candy or at least all she is acknowledged for is that.

This is a false dilemma. It would be disingenuous or flat out naive to claim that her physical aesthetic plays no role in her job. She also goes to lengths to compliment such (hair, makeup, clothes etc). Her good looks are very much a part of the job description.

It's not demeaning to find a quality in her that she herself cultivates as attractive, nor to comment on it. No one ever claimed it's "all she's good for" and the implication of that is what is demeaning.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Still love to see Nischushkin given a shot on the top line. He was absolutely flying last night again, and I thought he looked better than Landeskog. I'm not saying he's better than Landeskog, but it might be time to shuffle that top line a bit. I also feel like Kamenev has been better than Jost in the last few games, and he fills the role Jost should be filling. Trade Jost for a 3C at the deadline.

Nischushkin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Calvert - Pageau** - Donskoi
Nieto/Wilson - Bellemare - Kamenev

Reactions: AvsGuy

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This is a false dilemma. It would be disingenuous or flat out naive to claim that her physical aesthetic plays no role in her job. She also goes to lengths to compliment such (hair, makeup, clothes etc). Her good looks are very much a part of the job description.

It's not demeaning to find a quality in her that she herself cultivates as attractive, nor to comment on it. No one ever claimed it's "all she's good for" and the implication of that is what is demeaning.
Of course, she wants to look and feel as good as she can - what person wouldn't? But she isn't doing this job to be ogled, she's doing it to be a professional at what talent she has honed and trained for years. The implication of "all she's good for" comes from the fact that there have been absolutely zero comments on how good (or otherwise) she is at her job, and dozens, possibly more, comments on how she is so "hot".

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Still love to see Nischushkin given a shot on the top line. He was absolutely flying last night again, and I thought he looked better than Landeskog. I'm not saying he's better than Landeskog, but it might be time to shuffle that top line a bit. I also feel like Kamenev has been better than Jost in the last few games, and he fills the role Jost should be filling. Trade Jost for a 3C at the deadline.

Nischushkin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nieto/Wilson - Bellemare - Kamenev
As much as I would like to see Nuke play with Mack and as much as he deserves it the way he and Landy have been playing I prefer to keep him with Kadri. Landy hasn't been playing that well and Mack can compensate for that...Kadri can't. The Nuke-Kadri-Bura line has been very good since put together.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Trade Jost for a 3C at the deadline.

If you're hoping that we fool someone into taking Jost for something decent, I strongly doubt it's gonna be Ottawa.

Pageau is gonna cost a lot. I do hope it's who we target and I hope we aren't stingy. He strikes me as a great fit.

On the subject of the game.... I am so happy to have been able to fall asleep peacefully in the third.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Of course, she wants to look and feel as good as she can - what person wouldn't? But she isn't doing this job to be ogled, she's doing it to be a professional at what talent she has honed and trained for years. The implication of "all she's good for" comes from the fact that there have been absolutely zero comments on how good (or otherwise) she is at her job, and dozens, possibly more, comments on how she is so "hot".
If looks weren't important we'd still have Julie Browman. It's television and sex sells. I'm sure she's not naive enough to realize that shes somewhat fortunate for her genetics. But shes doing what we all do. Play to our strengths in life.

That's not to take away from her. There are loads of attractive women so it's not like she didn't earn her job but we are all blessed with unique traits and noticing certain ones isn't really disrespectful imo. Calling her untalented or just given the job due to looks would be.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017

The quantity of comments on how good she is at her job is literally proof of nothing. You are also making an assumption that she's not flattered by or interested in the attention her beauty receives. Some women actually take it as a compliment or otherwise feel good that people find them attractive. This is not a "shallow" position per se and doesn't take anything away from the job she does.

Again, we do this all the time with men and athleticism. And while it's not exactly the same, the double standard applied to it is strange to me.

Reactions: missionAvs

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Especially a quote that got cut by dater to make it seem likes it’s worse than it is... it’s pretty embarrassing.
Which one is this??

Sounds like a quote that I probably jumped on him being super selfish, and would like to apologize to Gru... he's our starting goalie, and this is his first season as our #1... it's going to have some ups and downs.

What irks me a bit is I remember Bednar talking about how he wants to give Gru a few games in a row to try and get some rhythm between the pipes and settle it. This was about 2 weeks ago, then the very next game after that quote he started Frankie... it was super bizarre.

Anyways... these guys are pro's, and they'll figure it out. Let's make sure we play up to the STL Blues on Saturday, it's not going to go as smoothly as it did in that 7-3 game. Although, it would be nice for the PP to get going.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
- The Sharks are f***ing rotten
- Lauren has too much eyelashes and teeth going on
- Dater is a hack
- Jay McClement and Ben Guite are the best bottom six players the Avalanche have ever had

Reactions: Koolboss and Murzu

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Only brings me back on his 2009 return where he looked like a shell of his former self. Loved the guy as well back in the day. So pissed he was traded away along with Drury for what I would say was "nothing"

Drury and Yelle for: Morris, Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz. WORST TRADE EVER.

That's NHL Player Derek Morris to you

Reactions: The Kingslayer

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I said at the time I didn’t think Grubauer’s comments were that bad, though he didn’t take any responsibility for his recent play.

However, I don’t think his comments could have possibly been sensationalized considering they were made in the form of an audio recording...which clearly no one on this message board heard. :doh:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Steve Konowalchuk is the best bottom-sixer the Avs have ever had. End of story.

And the worst trade the Avs ever made was Fleury for Regehr. It cost them a franchise defender who would've stabilized the team for at least one more Cup run, maybe two.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Which one is this??

Sounds like a quote that I probably jumped on him being super selfish, and would like to apologize to Gru... he's our starting goalie, and this is his first season as our #1... it's going to have some ups and downs.

What irks me a bit is I remember Bednar talking about how he wants to give Gru a few games in a row to try and get some rhythm between the pipes and settle it. This was about 2 weeks ago, then the very next game after that quote he started Frankie... it was super bizarre.

Anyways... these guys are pro's, and they'll figure it out. Let's make sure we play up to the STL Blues on Saturday, it's not going to go as smoothly as it did in that 7-3 game. Although, it would be nice for the PP to get going.
The quote that everyone jumped on Gru for was ended with Gru saying, “for a team to be successful we all have to be on the same page as a team and a group and it starts in goal.” Dater being the shitty reporter he is cut that part off because it gets less clicks.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

And the worst trade the Avs ever made was Fleury for Regehr. It cost them a franchise defender who would've stabilized the team for at least one more Cup run, maybe two.

Kono was great

Calling Regehr a franchise defender is a stretch though. He'd have been a solid guy to have around after Bourque/Blake/Foote left for sure, for a few years, but he sputtered out like most do

I'd argue Drury/Yelle was the worst trade we ever made, there was just so much misplaced optimism there and no real reason to upset the roster in that fashion

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kono was great

Calling Regehr a franchise defender is a stretch though. He'd have been a solid guy to have around after Bourque/Blake/Foote left for sure, for a few years, but he sputtered out like most do

I'd argue Drury/Yelle was the worst trade we ever made, there was just so much misplaced optimism there and no real reason to upset the roster in that fashion

He didn't really "sputter out" until his Los Angeles days. Until then he was one of the best stay-at-home guys in the league who could also man a point on the power play. If the Avs kept him, we wouldn't have had to endure the saga of "Brett Clark: Top Pairing Defenseman."

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Maybe she's not that good at her job?

Jost works hard but almost no one compliments him on his play. Because he's objectively quite Jostian at his job.

I don't watch the intermission stuff so I don't see much of her aside from in game. So have no idea how good or bad her interviewing skills are.

But maybe she's the Jost of hockey broadcasters?

Reactions: missionAvs

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
The quantity of comments on how good she is at her job is literally proof of nothing. You are also making an assumption that she's not flattered by or interested in the attention her beauty receives. Some women actually take it as a compliment or otherwise feel good that people find them attractive. This is not a "shallow" position per se and doesn't take anything away from the job she does.

Again, we do this all the time with men and athleticism. And while it's not exactly the same, the double standard applied to it is strange to me.

Funny. When my friends and I watch Keefe and Ryker, we're always commenting on Ryker's dress (look at that crazy suit) and I always see people talking about his newest hairstyle. We just don't notice that they're being evaluated as well. My beef with Ryker's fun, crazy dress at times is that I felt the clown act was a little overdone. I respect his analysis and would like to attend a game with him so he could break down the plays and explain to me what to look for as I never played hockey. In other words, give me an insight into the game and allow me to become a more educated, informed and astute fan. So yeah, whether we realize it or not, we evaluate people on looks but you also need to have substance. I have seen substance in Lauren's interviews and like the rapport she has in getting players to talk. Give her more opportunity.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Regehr-Foote would've been one of the meanest D pairings in league history.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Lauren Jbara is great at her job. She's articulate, engaging to listen to, and has an enthusiasm that belies her level of experience. Sure her gorgeous looks are an asset in a television job, but they're hardly her only redeeming feature. I could listen to her read the back of a Kraft Diner box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->