SITE MIGRATION NOTICE (please read) & other related talk about format

Has the new layout of HFBoards resulted in you visiting less?

• Yes

Votes: 154 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 127 45.2%

• Total voters

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
or you know have an ad-payment programme that doesn't slow down your entire computer and take over everything else. I participate on a lot of other boards, and they have small ads at the bottom and the side.

i don't blame these people for wanting ads. everyone needs them to help pay the bills, and then they charge 12.00 for you not to have ads, which i think is a fair compromise and that people are willing to do. however, the argument is that since a move - which was not necessary (if the argument that was presented was that the place looks more modern, people have "likes" which was a big issue" and having truly invisible ignored people) - and the cost is that any time something big in hockey happens, boards have a seizure then quite frankly it is

A: not well money spent on those who run the spent, and
B: not well money spent on those who wish to invest in the site.

so it would make more sense to actually invest in a model that would generate them more money due to being more usable vs. shutting down, among other things.

Precisely. This is why I've never bothered with an ad blocker. My personal time is almost completely consumed by reading online news and forums. I love that they provide this to me (typically) for free and I am happy for them to use ads to fund it. Big difference between that and the silly page blocking thing they have here now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Actually I hate my job but it pays very well and for the foreseeable future, I've resigned myself to the fact I have no way out at least a few more years (as in, I have to - I have people depending on me to provide a certain level of income). I complain about it constantly with no apologies. And it ain't me that makes the job miserable, it's certain conditions that I have no control over so, no, it's not on me in any way except maybe for making the mistake 30 years ago to start down this career path.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ad Block Plus for Safari

I dont mind ads as it helps support sites.

upload_2018-7-30_18-34-51.png

But ads where I need to [x] close them are way too annoying.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
like i said. if the choice is
having a website that looks like it's the year 2018, having likes, and all the other stuff.

vs.
having the boards as they were before, and NOT having crashing servers during you know. actual hockey events when you really want to talk to people, i vote that board.

To be fair Reddit never crashes

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
whats wrong with it? only difference for me is all the thread titles are blue but everything seems to be working
Also altered how certain things are displayed such at the order of the top right corner. Alerts used to be far left. Some of the font and display has also been changed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
whats wrong with it? only difference for me is all the thread titles are blue but everything seems to be working

Everything looks worse.

They changed the positioning of some things for no reason.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
HF Users: Hey, we just want stable servers during the busy times so we can talk about big happenings

HF: Blue Text?

HF Users: No, we said we wanted better ser-

HF: Need the Alerts, Inbox and Profile buttons flipped around?

HF Users: (Sigh)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
HF Users: Hey, we just want stable servers during the busy times so we can talk about big happenings

HF: Blue Text?

HF Users: No, we said we wanted better ser-

HF: Need the Alerts, Inbox and Profile buttons flipped around?

HF Users: (Sigh)

HF: “oooohhh I get it” turns advertising up to extra obnoxious level

Reactions: Jozay

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I use to pay for sponsorship but after the changes to the site and all the crashes I won't pay. They need to fix that. I have spent much less time on HF.

Also the ads on this site are a bit ridiculous. Pop ups that wouldn't close etc... I just have an ad blocker now.

Maybe just introduce some actual benefits to sponsorship like being able to customize colours, text size, page alignment, hiding sections etc... Like basically any added features that would incentivize a subscription/sponsor. How about a live chat?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad