OT: Site Layout

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Like, seriously, what is the point of ALL THIS SPACE:

(Hey check me out, I'm a bunch of useless white space!!!)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
@HeyMattyB @RandyHolt You can set display to none for things like avatarHolder and listBlock.posterAvatar if you use a browser extension like Stylish or Tampermonkey that supersedes the default CSS here.

I notice my sidebar settings are not saved. ARG. Every time I come back to the site, I see my avatar up in the right corner, and also see my avatar again right below it. Time to delete my picture I suppose. HOME - Kill Sidebar - is there a save settings option that will remember this; and will the browser extensions also cripple the sidebar for good?

Thanks much - you are going huge favors for many here.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not defending every aspect of the site as it is now, especially since I'm not happy with a lot of it, but this was a huge task for admins and the new site is a work in progress. I've seen positive change in just the first week and as we go along it will continue to get better.

Regarding sidebars and avatars, like most things today the change is "mobile first". Everyone agrees the improvements in the mobile platform are significant. That's going to mean "social media" style presentation. One person's "wasted space" is another's framework, while a lot of text crammed together with no images would look like total clutter. The old site was just not mobile-friendly and couldn't scale the way the owners wanted so this new mostly stock Xenforo platform is where we start.

If you have serious suggestions for the admins then use the contact info to send them feedback.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Non programmers can only imagine the chore of having to make everything work on every device and browser, but it's where we live now. In the instant gratification/bitch on a message board zone. Part of me complaining is to find answers but also to provide feedback. Thanks goon and whoever else is going the heavy lifting.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Non programmers can only imagine the chore of having to make everything work on every device and browser, but it's where we live now. In the instant gratification/bitch on a message board zone. Part of me complaining is to find answers but also to provide feedback. Thanks goon and whoever else is going the heavy lifting.

Our current mod discussion thread about the migration is about 1,500 posts and counting. :laugh: Chances are we've seen most of the problems already but please do send in any feedback. You never know and good ideas are good ideas.

Reactions: RandyHolt

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Per RH's suggestion we're discussing stickying GDTs to make them more visible on the new site. I'm also going to unstick some threads and maybe merge some others. The fantasy thread may return to the wild. The caps history thread is unstuck.

I'm also thinking we should combine the prospects thread with general minor league discussion if we're going to sticky it. Our front page real estate is in short supply now and we're already scrolling too much to get to the busier threads.

Any thoughts?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As much as I like analytics I don’t think the analytics thread really needs to be stickied. I’d bet others would agree.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As much as I like analytics I don’t think the analytics thread really needs to be stickied. I’d bet others would agree.

It's really there for you, twabs. If you want it released into the wilderness then I'll do it.

Also changed a few of the other threads already. I think we only need one thread for visiting fans so I set that up.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can always bump the thread if necessary. I prefer less clutter at the top personally and it already looks better.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Looking better! I would like to see a test run of a stuck GDT, and then perhaps a poll. I really feel during games, the non GDTs are a ghost town.

I will push my luck and even throw out the idea of sticking our 3 most used threads. Or heck, just the acquisition thread.

Thanks all

Changes_one-cover.gif

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It's starting to look better. Nice work to all you fine people. Had me scared for a minute there...

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
My biggest issues are two fold, though they may be the same thing.

There's this awful full screen video add that randomly runs on the page. I think I've gotten uBlock to stop it, but it's come and gone a few times.

Secondly is the board is just chugging now a days. I dunno what it is, but this is the only site where chrome randomly freezes up and I have to kill the tab to get it to work. It also seems to hate my Grammarly addon.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is it just me or you too cannot see some videos??

Like this for example

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/136593887/

In fact I think it's the case with all youtube videos

I can watch that embedded youtube.

If I paste text, it is hidden until I click Post Reply or More Options - Preview.

I still find that I have to click home and then re-hide the deadspace sidebar almost daily. You can see the sidebar setting come and go as you go into a thread. You see the sidebar toggled on and then off about a second later. After a day or two, the setting gets forgotten and the sidebar is enabled once again.

It seems the purpose of the sidebar is to show users their own profile / advatar.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovikovy817

kogeh

May 14, 2011
Zagreb
havent been here since the playoffs ended for us, i came back and see a new and weird forum. can i change the background white to some darker color?

edit: where is mark all forums read?

edit2: main page i minimize fantasy hockey hockey by country etc and when i refresh it all is open again. kinda annoying

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
What's up with the awful mobile advertising? It's redirecting me to bullshit virus alerts and giveaway scams about once a day.

Is HF so desperate for $ that they're allowing those kinds of predatory ads on this site now?

Reactions: Hivemind

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Has the "Toggle Sidebar" option disappeared from the individual forums? I used to see it there, next to "Open Quick Navigation" right at the top of this (and every other) forum, but now it's gone. It's still on the home page, but clicking it only affects the home page--it doesn't carry over to the individual forums. It's a shame, because in the past, turning off the sidebar made the forums load much faster.

Generally speaking, the site is so bogged down with I don't know what--ads and useless banners/columns/junk, maybe?--that it's super sluggish and often completely unresponsive. I usually can't finish scrolling through a single page without everything slowing to a crawl and having to refresh the page. Posting is a chore, as the site often locks up while I'm in the middle of typing a post. Overall, it's a pretty frustrating experience. I've tried using different browsers with all extensions turned off, and it doesn't make any difference. Surprisingly, viewing the site on my mobile devices offers the quickest experience.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What's up with the awful mobile advertising? It's redirecting me to bull**** virus alerts and giveaway scams about once a day.

Is HF so desperate for $ that they're allowing those kinds of predatory ads on this site now?

From earlier in the thread per admins:

Please refer complaints about ads to the Support Forum.

Complaints about ads must include the following information:

1. Location/Country
2. Device
3. Browser
4. Company/product of ad.
5. A screen shot if possible,
6. Brief description of how the ad is a problem.
7. Page/Pages affected

How to take screenshots:
Android devices - power button + vol down
iOS - power button + home screen button
Desktop - browser addons can be used with Chrome and Firefox, Moo0 Screenshot can be used with anything
Windows 10 : windows key + print screen

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Has the "Toggle Sidebar" option disappeared from the individual forums? I used to see it there, next to "Open Quick Navigation" right at the top of this (and every other) forum, but now it's gone. It's still on the home page, but clicking it only affects the home page--it doesn't carry over to the individual forums. It's a shame, because in the past, turning off the sidebar made the forums load much faster.

Generally speaking, the site is so bogged down with I don't know what--ads and useless banners/columns/junk, maybe?--that it's super sluggish and often completely unresponsive. I usually can't finish scrolling through a single page without everything slowing to a crawl and having to refresh the page. Posting is a chore, as the site often locks up while I'm in the middle of typing a post. Overall, it's a pretty frustrating experience. I've tried using different browsers with all extensions turned off, and it doesn't make any difference. Surprisingly, viewing the site on my mobile devices offers the quickest experience.

I toggled the sidebar from the main page and then clicked the link to this forum and the sidebar is still gone so not sure what you're seeing.

The design is clearly "mobile first". From what I've seen it bogs down when they're doing something with the code or new ads. They also still have more maintenance to do regarding old posts, indexing, etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What's up with the awful mobile advertising? It's redirecting me to bull**** virus alerts and giveaway scams about once a day.

"Shocking news: Sidney Crosby left off Penguins roster, you won't believe why!"
or
"#99 disappointed by McDavid, trade awaiting the Oilers captain?"

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not sure if this falls into this, I tried to report it once via the help page but got no response. I have scripts running that just constantly load over and over and over and suck all my bandwidth. So bad that if I'm streaming live TV it starts buffering. Then if you watch closely in the bottom left corner of the browser it says "Uploading.....100%" What's uploading and why?

Are these ads? I honestly don't know if they're ads or scripts relating to forum functionality? Anybody else seeing this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad