Since we have ??? (Convert a defenseman into a forward?)

OLD51JOHN

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
So many defensemen... I wonder if a effort to covert some or any to a winger has been tried ??? I recall some very successful player that started in on position and evolved into better players at a change.. they talk of a guy like Barkowski being such a good skater etc... How about Morrow ??? Red kelly comes to mind

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
We solved the too many defensemen problem with the Boychuk trade. There's so many little things that are specialized for each position it's hard to see a guy switching to forward from defense and being much better than the forward options the Bruins have. Red Kelly was a long time ago, much different game back then.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see reason to believe a guy like Bart would be better off as a winger than as a D, he doesn't seem to have that forward type feel for the offensive end. The one guy who probably could play up front is Hamilton, and no way am I moving him there

I thought Boston should have converted Warsofsky to a winger 3 years ago. I have always believed that his best chance at the NHL would be as a 4th line pest, who could also contribute by being a second pairing PP QB. I have never believed (and still don't) that he can play defense a tthe NHL level.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
We solved the too many defensemen problem with the Boychuk trade.

Exactly! The team doesn't have any kind of excess of defensive talent any more.

But I too talked about the idea last Season of trying Krug at offense. He's really the only defenseman the Bruins have who I could imagine playing offense.

trudatman*

this is not exactly a Julien concept, but they have played Krug and Hamilton on wings. I'd be fine with Krug playing forward. something like this:

LUC/KRE/SMI
MAR/BER/GAG
KEL/SOD/ERI
KRU/CAM/PAI
CHA/HAM
MIL/SEI
BAR/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

maybe switching Krug and Gagne, even. I don't think it risks much to do that. it doesn't change a lot, so it would be easy to do and easy to switch back away from if Bartkowski sucks too much or whatever.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
this is not exactly a Julien concept, but they have played Krug and Hamilton on wings. I'd be fine with Krug playing forward. something like this:

LUC/KRE/SMI
MAR/BER/GAG
KEL/SOD/ERI
KRU/CAM/PAI
CHA/HAM
MIL/SEI
BAR/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

maybe switching Krug and Gagne, even. I don't think it risks much to do that. it doesn't change a lot, so it would be easy to do and easy to switch back away from if Bartkowski sucks too much or whatever.

But the issue now is that the team just doesn't have enough quality defensemen to sacrifice one to play on offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad