since the IIHF is adopting NHL rules, maybe the NHL should do the same

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
just watched the recent world championships where on the broadcast, i heard that the IIHF will adopt the NHL's trapezoid rule for the international game...probably for the olympics...

watching the crucial game between canada and finland, i noticed that in OT you play three aside...since the IIHF is adopting several NHL rule points like the trapezoid, why not the NHL make three aside for OT in the playoffs...

i know the purists won't like it, i think playing three aside will make OT game a lot quicker and so you don't have to watch 5 OT contest like last years bubble between the bolts/jackets...

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
OT in the playoffs is perfect the way it is. I want to watch 5 OT periods, hell some day I hope I get to see a live game break the record for longest game in NHL history, that would be awesome. This would be change for the sake of change, there is no problem here that needs to be remedied.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Most of the time 3 on 3 overtime is awful. It’s like watching a soccer game where both teams are need to get at least one point. A lot of possession and very few shots.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Most of the time 3 on 3 overtime is awful. It’s like watching a soccer game where both teams are need to get at least one point. A lot of possession and very few shots.
What? 3 on 3 is more or less an exchange of high danger chances. Breakaways and odd man rushes back and forth.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
What? 3 on 3 is more or less an exchange of high danger chances. Breakaways and odd man rushes back and forth.
Sometimes. Most of the time it’s one team trying to keep possession. Have you ever noticed how often teams leave the offensive zone with possession? It’s all about plying keepaway with the hopes that you’ll get a breakaway.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sometimes. Most of the time it’s one team trying to keep possession. Have you ever noticed how often teams leave the offensive zone with possession? It’s all about plying keepaway with the hopes that you’ll get a breakaway.
There’s a reason way less games go shootouts now. It’s because 3 on 3 features more scoring chances.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
There’s a reason way less games go shootouts now. It’s because 3 on 3 features more scoring chances.
Yes, less games go to shootout…because teams play keepaway until they get a breakaway. You can argue all you want, but sit down and watch OT’s on YouTube and you’ll see what I am talking about.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yes, less games go to shootout…because teams play keepaway until they get a breakaway. You can argue all you want, but sit down and watch OT’s on YouTube and you’ll see what I am talking about.
I watch them plenty throughout the season thanks. Exciting as hell. If your going argue there’s less scoring chances you don’t really have an argument.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I watch them plenty throughout the season thanks. Exciting as hell. If your going argue there’s less scoring chances you don’t really have an argument.
My bad, I didn’t realize that you were one of those people who come to a conclusion and nothing will deter you. Enjoy your closed minded world.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I don't recall a single Finnish fan happy with the 3v3 continuous OT, even in tournament play. For a final, it should be 5v5, just like the NHL does it.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
I will instantly and permanently stop watching hockey if they bring 3v3 OT to the playoffs.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Hockey is the greatest game/sport in the history of mankind.

Thinking outside the box humbly helped to make me the exceptionally successful person that I am in life.

Knowing when to stick to basic fundamental principles humbly helped to make me the exceptionally successful person that I am in life.

Cockamamie rule tinkering which leads to a further junkification of the game is a large component of my mindset in respect to the scam of 'growing the game'. Weak minded people would consider it selfish, I just want to enjoy life on a term that fits my lifestyle, just like almost everyone.

That said, having open and free discussions about topics is perfectly fine no matter how silly some of them are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad