Since Tavares’ departure, the Isles have gone further than the Leafs all 3 years

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
yost2.png

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Probably has less to do with Tavares than we think. Hell Tavares didn't even play in this series much. I think its just a credit or lack there of in Torontos case in how they build their rosters and how they want to play when it matters most.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Probably has less to do with Tavares than we think. Hell Tavares didn't even play in this series much. I think its just a credit or lack there of in Torontos case in how they build their rosters and how they want to play when it matters most.
I strongly believe with a healthy JT the Habs would not have completed that comeback

Reactions: Fatass

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I strongly believe with a healthy JT the Habs would not have completed that comeback
Lmao. Leafs have had JT for several seasons now and our team still hasn’t done shyt. He’s no game breaker anymore in Toronto like he was in the 1st round series against the panthers.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Lmao. Leafs have had JT for several seasons now and our team still hasn’t done shyt. He’s no game breaker anymore in Toronto like he was in the 1st round series against the panthers.
Yup. It’s gonna be year four of the Tavares contract, and he’ll be over 30. If he was the difference—how much longer do they think that’ll last?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It’s nobody’s fault but Toronto that they’re a laughingstock. Everyone likes to have a good bit of fun at their expense and then move on with their day. If that upsets you, maybe you should join the other Leafs fans in summer hibernation.

John Tavares never wore Leafs pajamas.

That's only factual based on pictures. Maybe he did wear Leafs pajamas.

But the picture, those are bed sheets.

Yet he is known now and forever as pajama boy.

Cool.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That was a nasty injury, and obviously unavoidable. But as JT ages it’s likely he will get injured more often, especially with the hard minutes he has to play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Tavares was that he was some sort of playoff beast, when in fact his playoff career has been very similar to the underwhelming playoff careers thus far of Matthews and Marner.

Tavares had *one* (singular) playoff series where he played like you'd expect from a franchise center, versus Florida. Every other series he was either average or below average. Yet he was talked about as though he's one of those clutch playoff performers that can raise his game when it matters most.

Tavares' career playoff production:
Versus Florida - 6 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 Pts
Versus everyone else - 31 GP, 10 G, 11 A, 21 Pts
Since joining TOR - 13 GP, 4 G, 4 A, 8 Pts (minus-8)

So unless people want to judge him *entirely* on how he did versus Florida in that one series, I'm mystified about where this idea that he's a clutch playoff performer comes from.

Reactions: SI90

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Tavares has always been overrated. Dude is not great at 1 aspect of hockey and is a bad skater. Sure, he compiles stats but his shot, skating, passing, zone entry, defensive skills and more are nothing special. I suppose he has a nose for the net but he is over 30 now. This is a horrible contract and I'd take Kadri over him 1/1 if you include salaries. Toronto is stuck with this guy. At least he's a nice guy. That's all you hear. Nicest guy ever. Great. It really doesn't help but hockey culture loves to have their 'good canadian boys'. Jesus he's even more boring than the cliche's.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Tavares was that he was some sort of playoff beast, when in fact his playoff career has been very similar to the underwhelming playoff careers thus far of Matthews and Marner.

Tavares had *one* (singular) playoff series where he played like you'd expect from a franchise center, versus Florida. Every other series he was either average or below average. Yet he was talked about as though he's one of those clutch playoff performers that can raise his game when it matters most.

Tavares' career playoff production:
Versus Florida - 6 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 Pts
Versus everyone else - 31 GP, 10 G, 11 A, 21 Pts
Since joining TOR - 13 GP, 4 G, 4 A, 8 Pts (minus-8)

So unless people want to judge him *entirely* on how he did versus Florida in that one series, I'm mystified about where this idea that he's a clutch playoff performer comes from.

And even for all he did in that series against the Panthers, the Islanders were one inexcusably missed tripping penalty away from that going to Game 7. Plus two of other wins the Islanders had in that series also went to OT.

So as good as his point totals look its very hard to argue that he truly took over that series.

And for some reason I seem to recall the Islanders almost blew Game 1 if not for an incredible save by Greiss in the final seconds to keep it from going to OT as well.

Which is exactly my point about the "John Tavares syndrome". The points will always be there but he always leaves you wanting more. He in no shape or form dominated that series until the final minute of Game 6 and then the OT winner.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
That was a nasty injury, and obviously unavoidable. But as JT ages it’s likely he will get injured more often, especially with the hard minutes he has to play.
I am afraid JT might never be the same after that one. One of the more disturbing injuries I have ever seen

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
"He" as in Tavares? I'm going to say no, because I'm pretty sure I don't read stuff for the most part, but when I do, it's not an article that an athlete writes.
Well you should. You might be able to educate yourself a bit.

Too long, didn't read? It wasn't Islanders fans who gave the Toronto captain the nickname "pajama boy." It was the Toronto captain himself.

To the Islanders Faithful | By John Tavares

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Well you should. You might be able to educate yourself a bit.

Too long, didn't read? It wasn't Islanders fans who gave the Toronto captain the nickname "pajama boy." It was the Toronto captain himself.

To the Islanders Faithful | By John Tavares

Ctrl+F: Pajama

So then as far as my Boyhood Leafs Dream goes — just to set the record straight:
I absolutely was “Pajama Boy.”
You know, guilty as charged. And I absolutely deserve every bit of ribbing that I got on that one: I had the pajamas, I had the bedsheets, the blankets, the pillow cases. Man, it was just — it was an absurd, obsessed amount of Leafs stuff. And it was the time of my life.

Don't make me read any more. But it sounds to me like this is an afterthought type of article. He admits he's "Pajama Boy"

Don't think he coined that though.

Good on him for owning it anyway.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Ctrl+F: Pajama

So then as far as my Boyhood Leafs Dream goes — just to set the record straight:
I absolutely was “Pajama Boy.”
You know, guilty as charged. And I absolutely deserve every bit of ribbing that I got on that one: I had the pajamas, I had the bedsheets, the blankets, the pillow cases. Man, it was just — it was an absurd, obsessed amount of Leafs stuff. And it was the time of my life.

Don't make me read any more. But it sounds to me like this is an afterthought type of article. He admits he's "Pajama Boy"

Don't think he coined that though.

Good on him for owning it anyway.
Well if you call yourself that in a national article like that, you're effectively coining the moniker going forward.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you were incorrect about him not wearing PJs and where the nickname actually originated. It wasn't based on that Twitter pic that only showed the bedsheets.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tavares has always been overrated. Dude is not great at 1 aspect of hockey and is a bad skater.

I am not really sure how to classify this as a skill but Tavares bread and butter was his ability to control the puck in high traffic areas close to the net.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Tavares has always been overrated. Dude is not great at 1 aspect of hockey and is a bad skater. Sure, he compiles stats but his shot, skating, passing, zone entry, defensive skills and more are nothing special. I suppose he has a nose for the net but he is over 30 now. This is a horrible contract and I'd take Kadri over him 1/1 if you include salaries. Toronto is stuck with this guy. At least he's a nice guy. That's all you hear. Nicest guy ever. Great. It really doesn't help but hockey culture loves to have their 'good canadian boys'. Jesus he's even more boring than the cliche's.
He's never been elite in any one technical hockey skill, but they've all been above average in his prime. He was also an incredibly high IQ player, so pair that with a player with no noticeable weaknesses and you have a pretty good player.

Prime JT was probably one of the smartest players out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->