Since Tavares’ departure, the Isles have gone further than the Leafs all 3 years

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Since Tavares’ decision the Islanders have advanced past the first round 3 years in a row winning a total of 6 series and counting. They’ve trended nowhere but upwards since July 1 2018.

As we all know, the Leafs have remained stagnant since that point, failing to qualify for the playoffs last year and blowing a 3-1 lead this year.

Is there another instance of a team losing their superstar and becoming unequivocally better?

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
tenor.gif

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Best player isn't always the right player

Bozak, JVR, Kadri and Brown > Tavares

And all Tavares has accomplished in TO is doing a damn good job of passing on the "John Tavares" syndrome to Marner.

Racking up the points while making it look effortless (and not in a good way) and always left coming away disappointed and knowing he is capable of so much more.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
seriously though I think even without Tavares the isles had a good roster, they just had abysmal coaching under Weight + Cap. Once a real coach was in charge the talent shined through.

I know I have gone back and forth on this with some Isles fans but I'm convinced the Islanders knew they likely lost Tavares long before July 1st (such as June 5th) and that is what cost Snow and Weight their jobs and finally forced the much needed culture change for the Islanders.

Had the Islanders ended up resigning Tavares they would have just been the same old mediocre Garth Snow Islanders but instead of Tavares being on the biggest bargain contract in the league, his cap hit would now be (more than) doubled.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Leafs needed defense and good goaltending.

Leafs had an abundance of offense.

So what's the logical thing to do?

Well, duh, go spend pretty much all your remaining cap space on offense!!!!

They built their team like a video game roster, but unfortunately play in real life and not NHL 20. They're facing the results of these actions.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs needed defense and good goaltending.

Leafs had an abundance of offense.

So what's the logical thing to do?

Well, duh, go spend pretty much all your remaining cap space on offense!!!!

They built their team like a video game roster, but unfortunately play in real life and not NHL 20. They're facing the results of these actions.

Their D was much better. It was losing Tavares to injury 9 mins into the series that cost them ironically

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's the difference between 3x Stanley cup champion and reddit's pony artist director sjw.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Since Tavares’ decision the Islanders have advanced past the first round 3 years in a row winning a total of 5 series and counting. They’ve trended nowhere but upwards since July 1 2018.

As we all know, the Leafs have remained stagnant since that point, failing to qualify for the playoffs last year and blowing a 3-1 lead this year.

Is there another instance of a team losing their superstar and becoming unequivocally better?

The first thing that came to mind was when the Avs moved Duchene, then Mackinnon literally exploded. I kinda liken the situation to Barzal taking command of the team in the same way.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know I have gone back and forth on this with some Isles fans but I'm convinced the Islanders knew they likely lost Tavares long before July 1st (such as June 5th) and that is what cost Snow and Weight their jobs and finally forced the much needed culture change for the Islanders.

Had the Islanders ended up resigning Tavares they would have just been the same old mediocre Garth Snow Islanders but instead of Tavares being on the biggest bargain contract in the league, his cap hit would now be (more than) doubled.
I can tell you for a fact they expected him to stay until the day before the deadline.

Reactions: MattMartin

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There are some posters here who have argued, persuasively, that the Tavares signing was the biggest blunder in the Leafs rebuild. He is a terrific player, but they would have been perfectly fine with Matthews/Kadri down the middle and better overall forwards depth. They've managed to temporarily rectify the defence by signing Brodie, but that's basically the best they can do with their current salary structure.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Neither Trotz or Torts would want to coach the Leafs, because neither want to see the Leafs become league powers, due to both of them thinking the NHL should not be in Toronto, or anywhere in Canada.

> = P
I meant it hypothetically. If Trotz coached these Leafs the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad