Since 2000 - Top 10 defensemen - #8

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Mike Komisarek narrowly edged out Mark Streit for the #7 spot. Vote for the best available.

Remember:
- vote for players based on how they played for the Habs.
- I only put players who played at least one full season with the team. This means I will NOT add James Wisniewski.

1) PK Subban (47.65%)
2) Andrei Markov (94.24%)
3) Roman Hamrlik (56.96%)
4) Sheldon Souray (74.63%)
5) Patrice Brisebois (29.60%)
6) Josh Gorges (28.05%)
7) Mike Komisarek (34.83%)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I remember really liking Weinrich when he played for the Habs. He played some solid defense and actually put up some nice numbers, too!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I knew weinrich would probably be underrated, but I didnt expect him to not crack the top 10... Its going to be close.

For those that are voting for streit, he was primarily a forward for the habs.... So essentially, you are voting for his work on the PP (granted, he had good success in that role too)

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Craig Rivet, the man that brought us Gorges and Pacioretty. The best trade Gainey ever made. Reason enough, lol.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Been voting Rivet for a while now...I didn't count Streit because he didn't really play defense for us.

Weinrich has to get in the top 10 though, it's ridiculous if he doesn't get in. Definitely my vote after Craig.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Ridiculous that Weinrich is not ahead of Komisarek or Gorges. He was a much better all around defenseman than either, could play the power play and could actually contribute to building the play. Voters must be really young or suffer from alzheimers

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Streit was barely an NHLer on the Habs. Not entirely his fault but we're judging performance here.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Rivet over Quintal or Emelin and Bouillon.... really?

During his first years, the guy was always injuried... and after that, we which he was injuried. People tend to forget it only because they were all paying attention at Brisebois at that time... but Rivet was even worst several times.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Stahp!! At some point we'll have to vote for the likes of Bouillon, Dandenault and Spacek.

It stops at 10, right??

:surrender

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'll happily do it le Tricolore.
Awesome.
I just checked all the rosters from HockeyDB and chose all the defensemen who played at least one full season with the team. That way I wouldn't omit someone I thought didn't deserve to be there but others did. You can do what you want, but I thought this would work best.
Stahp!! At some point we'll have to vote for the likes of Bouillon, Dandenault and Spacek.

It stops at 10, right??

:surrender

:laugh: Space Goat wasn't THAT bad.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
For me:

1) PK Subban
2) PK Subban
3) PK Subban

4) Markov (but I much prefered Hab-Souray VS Markov)
5) Souray

6) Hamrlik

We need another Souray (when he was a Hab/young/relatively healthy) more than we need a Markov. The only weak one would be Gilbert. Tough ones: Souray, Tinordi, Emelin, PK Subban, Weaver...we would be a lot harder to play against and Souray would defend Price a lot better VS slow-as-a-turtle-Markov. Our best bet is Tinordi...he may become something close to a Souray...just hopefully a lot healthier, resilient.

Emelin - PK Subban
Souray - Gilbert
Tinordi - Weaver

Too many here make Markov seem like Lidstrom...he's (at best) a Lidstrom-Lite (poor man's version of Lidstrom). These days...he's a much slower Lidstrom-Lite. Just telling it like it is. Subban...I've never seen such a player wear the CH. Never. Subban should have started his career earlier than he did. Management:shakehead.
Why did they wait to play him only when Markov was injured in playoffs???? Will never get that...'cause when Subban came in...he was an instant hero/warrior/star for us. He could have played a lot sooner, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad