Since 2000 - Top 10 defensemen - #6

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Somehow people voted Brisebois in this spot. I don't get it, but whatever.

Vote for #6 now!

1) PK Subban (47.65%)
2. Andrei Markov (94.24%)
3) Roman Hamrlik (56.96%)
4) Sheldon Souray (74.63%)
5) Patrice Brisebois (29.60%)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Was torn between Komisarek and Gorges.

Komisarek at his best was the better player, but Gorges was solid for a lot longer than Komisarek was and no matter who his matter was he still was a rock for us.

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012
Voted for Rivet. I don't think he was better than Komisarek or Gorges but he brought us Gorges and Pacioretty.:D

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Best player was Streit -- just hard to consider him a D-Men for the purposes of this poll.

Both the other choices being Komisarek and Gorges... well, Streit it is.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't get it, Komi at his best was much better than Gorges (#3 vs #4) and Streit barely played D in MTL. It'd be like doing the rankings for forward and putting Grabovski ahead of Kostitsyn because of what he accomplished in Toronto.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Komi at his best was way better than Gorges, Gorges was never a top2 even if paired with the #1D
Dont look at what Komisarek did in Toronto, the poll is about the Habs

morgan_mtl

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal
It's amazing how tough it is to vote a list for a 10 top defencemen over a decade and a half. For me with the players that are left on the list I have put them into groups.

The 3 headed monster of Rivet, Quintal and Komisarek. If i had to vote for one of them to get in it would be Rivet. Quintal was a solid defensmen and Komisarek I was never a big fan of and if he was not drafted where he was and got the O'Bryne treatment and did not have Markov to play with I wonder how his career and bank account would be different.

Streit and Dandenault played way too many games at forward on the 4th line with the habs for me to easily vote them into the top 10 defensmen.

Gill, Spacek and Diaz were more comic relief for me when we got to see an interview more so then their play on the ice. For the 2010 playoff run Spacek play with Hammer and Gill being pretty solid might get my votes in the later rounds.

I was born in 1980 and probably never missed a Habs game besides maybe going to a few funerals (Probably had my vcr going thought) and for some reason Weinrich and Dykhuis can't think of anything really positive or negative to say about either of these 2 players. They were kinda just there in my memory bank so kinda hard to throw them a vote.

Boullion has been a solid defensmen over the years but he been always a # 5 6 or 7 D and I don't think he belongs in the top 10.

Bergeron had a really good slapshot but I kinda would want his replacment to have a leg over the boards and have him skate really fast back to bench because if it did not go in for a goal it was probably coming back the other way and did not want him playing in our zone.

Emelin I love the way he hits but hate how many time he has his back towards the puck or caught out of position.

As I said before in an eariler vote that I would have had Wizniewski on the list and I would have voted him in my top 10. In 43 games with the habs he had 30 points and was very important when Markov went down with an injury. Part of me thinks if there was no salary cap he might still be with the habs cause he played so well he priced himself out of a spot with the habs and it became a Markov or Wieniewski rather then an and.

Gorges is who I picked for this round. Despite probably yelling at my tv scene to just put the puck on the net I liked his give it all for the team aditude. I'll never forget the puck to the back of the head and seeing the blood trickle down the back of his neck and then hearing he was at practise the next day. Don't think any of us would have blamed him for taking a treatment day off ice..lol. He gave his heart and body to the Habs and I thank him for that.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Same here.. it's between Komisarek and Gorges, two players that I really appreciated.

I'm going with Komisarek.

Some will say he was a product of Markov but to me he was more of a the perfect complement to Markov.

Whoops.. Voted Gorges by mistake.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If Mark Streit would have played D with the Habs he'd be a shoe in here. However, I will have to go with Gorges.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Same here.. it's between Komisarek and Gorges, two players that I really appreciated.

I'm going with Komisarek.

Some will say he was a product of Markov but to me he was more of a the perfect complement to Markov.

Whoops.. Voted Gorges by mistake.
Do you see what you've done?!?!?! :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00