Simple Draft Reform Idea

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Teams just spend all their points on one player...

Id imagine the more you spend on 1st overall or a high pick the less picks you get in lower rounds. So 3rd overall with no other picks vs 1 mid 1st pick and 5 2nd round picks

Funny enough this idea is actually probably best ive seen even tho it sounds out there. Id go a step further and just have no first round of the draft and each team has a window of 10 days to sign what ever prospect they want for whatever amount. Instead of draft points its cap space you are bidding basically

But this option is actually kinda interesting to discuss (itd never happen but fun idea)

Lets go with original idea. Entire 1st and 2nd round is up for bid and rounds 3-7 start at 7,000 per round per pick and decrease every round (all teams go with current draft order selection and if they dont have enough points they forfeit a pick and another team can get it)

Purely for fun but thatd be interesting

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think it would be interesting to abolish the draft and let the kids choose where they play, without money being a factor. For exemple, teams would only be able to bid over $1M for an entry-level contract to ONE player per year, with the rest being under $1M. This would give a level playing field for every team.

Yeah no way this would work. Allow teams to sign whatever prospect for whatever amount. If Toronto wants to give 10M per season to McDavid out the gate let them. Let the money and cap talk

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Besides the dozen or so other noteworthy factors besides salary that could play into a draftee's team choice, yes it's completely level. :help:

You can't possibly think these offers are equal:

3 years/$3m PHX
3 years/$3m EDM
3 years/$3m CHI
3 years/$3m WSH

Right?

The kid going to edmonton gets to keep way more of his pay check due to taxes!

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Easiest solution is to give all non-playoff teams the same odds to draft anywhere from 1-14. This would remove any incentive for a team to lose.

I would even go as far as changing the incentives altogether, where you reward the 17-21 ranked teams by giving them the best lottery odds.

I'm a season ticket holder and my seats are $150 each. Paying that kind of money to watch your team tank for 3 months is an awful business model. Every game should count and teams should be doing all they can to win every night.

Daisycutter

Dec 20, 2006
Draft tournament for the top 4 spots. Best of 7 just like regular playoffs.

Bottom two teams from each conference play each other with the winner from each conference moving on to the finals to determine who picks first. Losing team in the finals picks second and the teams who lost in the first round play each other to see who picks 3rd & 4th.

I dunno

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Draft tournament for the top 4 spots. Best of 7 just like regular playoffs.

Bottom two teams from each conference play each other with the winner from each conference moving on to the finals to determine who picks first. Losing team in the finals picks second and the teams who lost in the first round play each other to see who picks 3rd & 4th.

I dunno

So let's make sure the team thats the best at tanking, tank the best?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I really dislike your first idea, 5 is an arbitrary number that comes from your head. What if the bottom 6 was:

Team A : 55 pts
Team B: 62 pts
Team C: 63 pts
Team D: 66 pts
Team E: 78 pts
--------------------
Team F: 79 pts

Is it still fair ? Clearly not.

If you want to keep the lottery, make it so that your odds of winning are proportionnal to the number of lost points (i.e. a weighted lottery based on your points in the standings, but inversed, so the last team picks first with the highest %)

OR

the 30 teams have the same odds (in a 30 year cycle).

I feel like any other solution (including the current system) is mathematically flawed.

Your first idea about the weighted lottery based on points in the standings would lead to an all new level of tanking, as it would be crucial fora team to lose every game.

Your second idea of a cycle is actually a great idea and I plan on making a post about it when I get the time.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I was prepared to dump on this as another "I hate the oilers, I'll rant about a completely random system resulting in an entirely possible outcome being "broken" and throw out some nonsense. But I like this idea. Granted, I've seen a lot of dumb ideas.

Unless one team is completely bombing there's usually a few teams in the same ballpark of being bad ie this seasons bottom 5-6 teams, giving them all fairer chances makes things more interesting, even for the higher ranked teams who might strike gold one year and its not like even if the #1 team doesn't win odds are a bad team still gets a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad