Simple:Are you on the owners or players side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
I am on the owners side, because they are interested in fixing the game as well as lining their pockets, the Players just do not want to lose the current damn system.

Really? Then why have the players' proposals completely changed the fundamental system of the CBA?

This isn't a difference of "one side wants to fix the system and the other side doesn't." This is a difference of how the system can be fixed.

What I don't understand is how the players' didn't gain many supporters after offering to roll their salaries back by a quarter. I mean, how many people here would OFFER to take a 24% paycut? I bet no one, or very few.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm on the owners side by default, as I think the players are simply fighting a battle they can't win, and are hurting the fans in the process, as they've yet to acknowledge the state the NHL is in, NBA, NFL, are 2 franchises which are in much better shape than the NHL, and make a ton more $$$, yet they have a cap and the NHL dosen't have one? dosen't make any sense whether or not your on the players or owners side, it dosen't make sense whatsover...If the player at least acknowledge the fact that the NHL needs a cap, then I would totally be on their side...

Owen Wilson

Feb 21, 2003
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
Tawnos said:
Really? Then why have the players' proposals completely changed the fundamental system of the CBA?

This isn't a difference of "one side wants to fix the system and the other side doesn't." This is a difference of how the system can be fixed.

What I don't understand is how the players' didn't gain many supporters after offering to roll their salaries back by a quarter. I mean, how many people here would OFFER to take a 24% paycut? I bet no one, or very few.
Because right now, they're giving up 100% of their salary.

hmm, have 0% or 75% which would you prefer??

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Tawnos said:
The owners are losing just as much, if not more in some cases (ie Colorado). sorry, that's no argument.

Difference is, the owners, have other ventures in which they can recoup...players can go play in Europe for chump change (in hockey terms of course, give me 150k a year, and i'm laughing) how long do you think they can keep that up, not very long, that's why this thing will be over very, very soon

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anyone notice how the percentages in this poll, kind of resemble how much the players contracts take up much of the revenue right now? ;)

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Tawnos said:

Yeah but the Players can make that 24% pay cut back during that season or of course what their plan was, the next. Their plan had no substance. The Players just tried to look good and it fooled you.

The big problem here is the Players are a part of the solution, but the owners are the solution.

I remember Brett Hull saying no one pointed a gun to their head to pay those salaries. He is right, but if the owners decided to not pay so much, what is the first word that comes to mind?

Collusion.

The owners are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Well I am not falling for the players propoganda. I own and run a business. If something needs fixing, I fix it without worrying who I upset cause my clients are happy.

Bottom line the NHL needs teams in Canada, the players proposal would end that, and more so it would only allow huge market teams to survive, which is all the players really give a crap about.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Tawnos said:

That's because most quickly saw through the offer.

The NHLPA offered a 24% rollback, to keep an arbitration process (and in fact expanded it) that *on average* raises salaries by 66% or so, with raises of 100%, 200%, 300% etc not uncommon.

You'd have to be stupid *not* to take that cut, if it preserved the system.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I blame a minority of the owners (Rangers, Rangers, Rangers, Flyers, Stars, Capitals) a few to a lesser degree (Avalanche, Red Wings, and others) for causing the problem. I blame many of the players (holdouts, trade demands) for contributing to the problem.

I blame only the players for the lockout (yes, I know the players can't lock themselves out). Why? Because they should realize that they were lucky they were able to benefit from the previous CBA which was totally in their favor. They should be smart enough to see how caps have evened the playing field in Football and Basketball (& how a luxury tax hasn't in baseball) & accept a cap.

I hear how the declining veteran players argue that a cap will force teams to cut them & therefore ruin the relationship between fans and their teams as they are forced to cut popular veterans on the downside of their careers. Well, it's either that, or force teams like Calgary to lose their Marquee player in his prime. I know I'd rather have Iginla at the expense of three aging, declining veterans. I'm sure the Oil would like to have Doug Weight, Curtis Joseph back at the expense of the likes of Steve Staios, Cory Cross & several of their other cheap reinforcements.

I'd also like them to take a look at what Jerome Bettis did this year when he accepted a 'small' contract of $1 Million to stay with the Steelers.

In summary:

I blame the Owners for the mess they created. I blame the players for not realizing they were lucky to get it while they could. I blame the players for no Hockey.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
PecaFan said:
That's because most quickly saw through the offer.

The NHLPA offered a 24% rollback, to keep an arbitration process (and in fact expanded it) that *on average* raises salaries by 66% or so, with raises of 100%, 200%, 300% etc not uncommon.

You'd have to be stupid *not* to take that cut, if it preserved the system.

You'd also have to be stupid not to know that the rest of the players' offer was nowhere near what they were willing to do. The offer didn't fool me. And my proof is in the fact that the offered league arbitration calls (again, not as far as they're willing to go). They also upped their luxury tax. And you know what, I bet they'd even take a soft cap.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
If I HAD to pick I guess it would be the players. My reasoning is that they have budged more and have made more concessions than the owners. Not enough but it certainly looks like they are trying more than the owners (but that's not much of a compliment).

The rumoured owner proposal was better than the last one but not by too much. If they made the Cap range from say $21-42 million with a franchise player exemption I think that could fly. I hope it would. There's "cost certainty" and the cap isn't extremely low. Plus with the franchise player there the top players will still be under a free market system. A few guys may be affected but it won't be too bad.

I still don't understand how some teams can live with the cap floor of $30 million. Some teams now operate with $20 million payrolls and claim yearly losses of $10-15 million. I wonder how being forced to spend $10 million more is going to help them.

Hockey_Nut99

The only side I have seen make concessions and bend the last while is the NHL. I am still amazed that the owners are just getting crushed with insults from players and hockey writers. They are getting crushed becasue they are owners and they want to ensure themselves that they make money on their investment. Not too much to ask after investing millions. If any of you out there own a business, have screwed up your business a little, haven't screwed it up, and know your going to make profits, then you guys must be idiots that can't run a business either :dunno:

The player are stuck in their own little world. They are not the product. They help make the product, which is the GAME.

Hockey_Nut99

Very lopsided results. Not surprised. Now that the NHL Proposal might call for a joint auditor, lets see what the PA's excuse is for not accepting a cap. I wonder what other stuff they are going to say now. The NHL is pretty much saying: "Hey, well let u see the books and u can choose an auditor".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad