Confirmed with Link: Simon Despres signs PTO with Laval (12-2)

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I was truly rooting for the guy but he's an idiot.. he asked for a chance, the habs gave it to him, he has a terrible training camp but given his potential the team still shows interest and offers him an AHL contract and that's what he does? Good riddance, very disappointing attitude.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Seems like not getting a 2 way contract was the nail in the coffin. He was all in for playing in Laval, as early as in June according to his comments in a LaPresse article. At the Training Camp, he said he was in the best shape he had ever been. That, I could believe. It was his on-ice decisions that were the issue.
I guess he had no plan B but plan A was at least a 2 way contract (preferably NHL 1 way). He is left in a disappointing situation. His optimism or drive wore off. If he ever takes a year off, it'll be tough for him to make a comeback.
He worked so hard to make it, he has to sign somewhere!

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Professional tryout contract

Good for him. We need help on D, and hopefully he can be that guy. I’m not too sure what his strategy was, though. My understanding was that he was offered an AHL contract previously. Is he hoping that a PTO could lead to an NHL contract? Has he missed the boat on NHL free agent signing. Nylander just made his deadline ... are they the same deadlines?

Anyway, hoping for the best. Let’s see what happens.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Good for him. We need help on D, and hopefully he can be that guy. I’m not too sure what his strategy was, though. My understanding was that he was offered an AHL contract previously. Is he hoping that a PTO could lead to an NHL contract? Has he missed the boat on NHL free agent signing. Nylander just made his deadline ... are they the same deadlines?

It’s not same deadline I believe. I think the UFA deadline is trade deadline. Unsure though.

Reactions: Bacchus1

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The December 1st deadline is for RFA's. Deprés is a UFA.

Reactions: Bacchus1

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So, if he does well, the Habs could sign him mid-season? That could be good since we suck on left D and we need another puck mover.

If he shows good stuff over the next few months, maybe he could be a good solution. Let’s see if he survives his PTO first, though.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So, if he does well, the Habs could sign him mid-season? That could be good since we suck on left D and we need another puck mover.

If he shows good stuff over the next few months, maybe he could be a good solution. Let’s see if he survives his PTO first, though.

I don’t think there’s any plans to play him in NHL.

we already have juulsen, mete and Alzner who aren’t in lineup so they’d be first ones.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

He was putrid with us, he won't play again for the habs.

Reactions: a55p2

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is beyond Bargain-Bin it's flat out Sun-Youth.

What's the point of Desprès? To use Laval's facilities as a free gym membership?

They're openly saying he's just there to prepare for some other gig -- where's the Habs's benefit in all of that?

Reactions: dralaf and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why? PTO for AHL???? Some people complain for nothing. I hope he does well, otherwise, no harm no foul.

Seriously If it was such a good idea why wait so long? Did we have to let Simon get his affairs in order. C'mon man what kind of evaluation process is actually happening with this club.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What's the point of Desprès? To use Laval's facilities as a free gym membership?

They're openly saying he's just there to prepare for some other gig -- where's the Habs's benefit in all of that?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
My bad then 12 pages for what?????

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Seriously If it was such a good idea why wait so long? Did we have to let Simon get his affairs in order. C'mon man what kind of evaluation process is actually happening with this club.

What a stupid comment... the offer was there since the end of the camp. It's Despres that didn't want not the Habs ...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What a stupid comment... the offer was there since the end of the camp. It's Despres that didn't want not the Habs ...
So why now then and why call it a PTO. I mean is it or isn't it. If it is I stand by my "stupid comment".
If it isn't then call it what it is a conditioning stint as a favor. And I've already acknowledged my mistake as such.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Well Bergevin and Julien are very close to hockey Canada. Habs were already interested in having Després in the AHL.

Why not do it?

Reactions: Fixxer

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Simon Desbust is more like it. Am I right? *low five*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->