Simon Danis Pepin

Husky

Feb 3, 2006
Ottawa
Saw him in the early rankings last year and was curious because of the generous ranking and the size obviously. I was surprised to see him drafted so high, especially with the pick the sens traded to Chicago. Best comparison is don't expect too much from him, because if he doesn't put on some weight then he won't be close to what Chara is. He doesn't move the puck as well and he doesn't skate quite as well. He has a long learning curve, and he'll be a grown up rookie.

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
He fancy's himself a offensive defensemen here at UMaine, which is extremly frustrating. Our whole D has been nothing but god awful this entire season.

He also gets rocked by the other team at least once a game, it's embarrasing.

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
Not chara like in any way, he's still really young so mabye that why's he plays so timid but does not use his size at all. His offensive instincts seem decent to me, im no scout but he makes some good passes even though he never takes a slapper, always goes for the wrister.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
See him once, and there will be no doubt left that this guy is *absolutely nothing* like Zdeno Chara in playing style.

More like a 7ft version of Duncan Keith, although Duncan Keith may have 40 lbs on him!!

-fullmetalninja

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Which is the best comparison for this guy?Well,can be a very lesser version of Chara(after looking the height)but waht do you think?
I wish I had a data point from this season to go by, just to get an idea about any progress he might be making... but from the games I saw on CSTV last year, I would have said he's NOTHING like Chara. I don't know if it's his usual style or not, but he seemed pretty awkward and timid to me. Definitely a project. But more of a victim than an aggressor in most confrontations, despite his height. I know scouts can't help but get intrigued by defensemen with that kind of reach and who might project to be able to use that to great advantage to shut down the opposition in the pros, and I have to assume there are things about Danis-Pepin that I just couldn't see on TV, or maybe that he had shown even before stepping up to the NCAA that had him on everybody's radar, but... well, I had crossed him right off my draft list from what I saw. Wasn't really interested in rolling the dice on that much of a project, certainly not that high in the draft anyway. I'm ready to be totally proven wrong about him, of course, because I fully recognize that it's impossible to really judge a young defenseman just on the basis of a few games on TV. So take the prerequisite bags of salt with anything I've just said. He could always turn out to be a great pick and totally different to what I thought I was seeing.

Oh yeah, and a a comparison... okay, how about ex-Habs "great" Peter Popovic???? :dunno:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
he got hammered by T.J Oshie
y0102sd9.jpg

those are Pepin's legs.....:bow:

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
that oshie kid as some guts

Not really. Pepin is very tall but he is stick thin, he only weighs 217 pounds. A solidly built shorter player could knock him over with ease. Still a good hit though to send him into the bench.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
how bout we compare him to Chara at the same age. Zdeno wasn't always a beast.
Beast or not, I seem to recall him being legitimately tough basically from Day 1 in junior, though, regardless of whether he had the full beastly power to back it up that he does now. Which would still be a pretty drastic difference from the legitimately-soft-sounding D-P, though. :dunno:

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Beast or not, I seem to recall him being legitimately tough basically from Day 1 in junior, though, regardless of whether he had the full beastly power to back it up that he does now. Which would still be a pretty drastic difference from the legitimately-soft-sounding D-P, though. :dunno:

You can never tell. He may well turn into a powerhouse when his body fills out. We'll just have to wait and see.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
You can never tell. He may well turn into a powerhouse when his body fills out. We'll just have to wait and see.

Exactly. He's still a very young kid (still only 18 despite being a Sophomore). I believe he was the youngest player in Hockey East last year. Growing into and learning to use a 6-7 body at that age must be tough, especially when a lot of players you're playing against are 20-22 years old. With more experience and coaching, the kid could turn out alright.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Exactly. He's still a very young kid (still only 18 despite being a Sophomore). I believe he was the youngest player in Hockey East last year. Growing into and learning to use a 6-7 body at that age must be tough, especially when a lot of players you're playing against are 20-22 years old. With more experience and coaching, the kid could turn out alright.
I'm still thinking that him "turning out all right" is more liable to lead to a Hal Gill/Marek Malik type of career than a Chara one, however. Don't get me wrong, that's still awfully good, and any team in the world would be thrilled to get that from a late 2nd/3rd round pick. But Chara seems like the wrong name to throw out there as a target for him to try to live up to. :dunno:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I'm still thinking that him "turning out all right" is more liable to lead to a Hal Gill/Marek Malik type of career than a Chara one, however. Don't get me wrong, that's still awfully good, and any team in the world would be thrilled to get that from a late 2nd/3rd round pick. But Chara seems like the wrong name to throw out there as a target for him to try to live up to. :dunno:

By "turning out alright" I was alluding to him becoming an NHL regular. I wasn't comparing him to Chara. You're absolutely right that Chara is the wrong name to throw out there.... just because the he's an unusually tall defenseman doesn't mean he's a potential Chara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->