Line Combos: Simmonds Appreciation

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
He's at the point in his career where if we wanted him back, we could just keep re-signing him to one year deals. He's made 33.5 mill in his career and nobody is going to give him a large contract at 33+ anymore. We are his hometown team and one of the best teams in the league, so it doesn't get much better than us for him.

I wouldn't be shocked if he just retires after he is done playing with us. He's a physical guy and will have likely played over 1000 games in the NHL by the time he is done, so I doubt he is really interested in travelling around anymore.

my only fear is he puts up a monster year and someone offers something ridiculous

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If Simmonds truly is gonna turn out to be a top 6 Power forward Type of player for us (which I love)......we need to find another Wayne Simmonds type for the bottom 6. To balance out our roster going into the playoffs.

We need to find a Coleman/Gooodrow type of Acquisition for us by the Deadline
a big heavy bigger for the bottom 6 and another stud D on the right side would be amazing. We'll need it vs a Boston, TB type team in the playoffs

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think when everyone’s healthy I like

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Simmonds
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Vesey-Boyd-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Andersen-Campbell

I think even putting Robertson on that 4th line might be smart

I don't really like Thornton with Matthews and Marner 5 on 5. Hyman is a better fit there. They both really took off when Keefe reunited them.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't really like Thornton with Matthews and Marner 5 on 5. Hyman is a better fit there. They both really took off when Keefe reunited them.
I don't even want Jumbo in the top 9 let alone playing 22+ min a night. To get the most value out of Matthews+Marner they should have a consistent linemate (Hyman) and play maximum minutes imo. Jumbo at 41 on the top line is truly moronic even if it's part time

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Simmonds scoring goals again makes me happy :DD Good guy

Dude got stone hands around the net the last couple years, say past 100 games or so. Every time he got a chance felt like he closed his eyes and tried to shoot the puck through the goalie. It was so bad almost made me laugh at times.

Break did good that's for sure.

Reactions: zeke

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A teammate looks to be blocking his path to the Rocket. Maybe the Cy Young? ;)

He's hitting his stride right now. Great to see.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I think when everyone’s healthy I like

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Simmonds
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Vesey-Boyd-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Andersen-Campbell

I think even putting Robertson on that 4th line might be smart
I think you have to seat Vesey.

Robertson, petan should eventually win over that spot

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
One of the best power forwards in the league.

Tough as nails
Skilled hands
Doesn't take stupid penalties

He's everything we needed. He's a keeper

Reactions: Nylander88

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
my only fear is he puts up a monster year and someone offers something ridiculous

Spezza likely could have gotten a raise from another team and opted to stay.

If Simmonds wants to be a Leaf, hes just got to be willing to take the haircut on salary.

Fortunately he seems like the guy to do so

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Simmonds is in a perfect spot for success. He's essentially in a sheltered/niche role that fits his skillset perfectly, and compliments the big guns who are doing the heavy lifting.

You can see it's gone to his legs.

On the PP he's bringing that net front presence that we miss with JVR, except Simmonds is far better at screening the goalie.

The best quote from last night was when it was mentioned he told the shooters on the PP to just shoot with him standing there. He'll try to tip it and if it hits him he'll just try to knock it in :laugh: Love that mentality.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
This is maybe the 15th worst injury news we could have gotten right now, imo.

Not the worst.

It was a bit of hyperbole but lighten up mon. How many players do the Leafs have as replacements that bring all the things Simmonds brings to the table? Can you please list those 15 players?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Wayne Simmonds explains how Willie O’Ree inspired him to play hockey

5:01 | February 17, 2021

Wayne Simmonds sits down with Christine Simpson to talk about how Willie O’Ree inspired him to play hockey and diversity in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->