Simmonds and Voracek time to go

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Yeah I have basically zero interest in a mid-to-late first, would much rather have a Tolvanen or someone like that who's close to playing in the NHL.

I also am not confident in Fletcher's ability to turn a pile of picks/prospects into NHL talent.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm happy with assets we can flip in June, we need neither draft picks or second tier prospects, and no one is giving a premier prospect for Simmonds, maybe for Voracek if you take some salary back (directly or by taking a bad contract).

If you look at trades the last five years for top starters in June (Hamilton, ROR, etc.) basic cost is later 1st rd pick, 2nd rd pick and second tier prospect worth a late 1st/early 2nd. Look at B Schenn, St Louis thought they were trading two picks in the 20s and dumping a bad contract. Kessel and 2nd for Kapanan (late 1st), Pitt 1st (2os) and 3rd.

Price is higher at TDL, so Fletcher should sell now, buy later.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'd rather see Patrick centering Laughton and Raffl. They don't have Simmonds goal scoring record, but they are much better skaters and two-way players.
No on those two. They aren't scorers and haven't shown themselves to be effective guys in the corner. Patrick needs a shooter on his line; actually someone who can put the biscuit in the basket. Get him a player like Kapanen or TK and put them together with a grinder like Lindholm can be and the Flyers would have a nice line.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Hey Simmonds...thanks for the memories but it's time. Here you go:
8df8f75f81c9c0c4494b3a0917276054.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No on those two. They aren't scorers and haven't shown themselves to be effective guys in the corner. Patrick needs a shooter on his line; actually someone who can put the biscuit in the basket. Get him a player like Kapanen or TK and put them together with a grinder like Lindholm can be and the Flyers would have a nice line.

Raffl hasn't shown he can be effective in the corners? That's a bizarre claim.

Patrick should be the main shooter on his own line; he's got a great shot.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I really don't think he will. Not only can we get a good return but how can he watch this team and think we are better with him?

His PP role is not needed and that's a big attraction for signing him. He's not going to sign cheap either, which I don't blame him at all.

If I'm wrong, well I guess we will have fun bashing Fletch endlessly.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I have zero doubt that Fletcher has made/will make an attempt to re-sign Simmonds. Would anyone be surprised if Holmgren was angry at Hextall because he had no interest in bringing him back?

In the end I think Simmonds gets traded but I don't think it's as clear-cut to Fletcher as everyone makes it out to be.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The Holmgren/Scott factor could impact that decision.

So far they seemingly have been patient since Fletch arrived. You'd think if they were forcing his hand we would have a big trade already not to mention Myers would be up. Nobody in hockey can watch AMac and think he's better for winning.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I have zero doubt that Fletcher has made/will make an attempt to re-sign Simmonds. Would anyone be surprised if Holmgren was angry at Hextall because he had no interest in bringing him back?

In the end I think Simmonds gets traded but I don't think it's as clear-cut to Fletcher as everyone makes it out to be.
Even if its to set up a trade negotiation (agents are a big part of it) everyone in the league needs to think we love him and really want to sign him. Two big variables that are hard for us desktop GM's to accurately acertain is what is Simmonds really willing to sign for and how much term VS how aggressive will other GM's be in trying to acquire him now instead of when he becomes a FA. Maybe he is willing to give a nice hometown discount and the offers aren't that compelling. More likely though Fletcher plays it out and basically auctions him for the highest value even if it doesnt exactly fit with our needs and at the draft try to make the moves to realign the assets the way he wants them.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
TSN had some interesting comments from Pierre LeBrun regarding Wayne.

'Hell of a Finishing Touch'

As a pending unrestricted free agent on the last-place Philadelphia Flyers, Wayne Simmonds has emerged as trade bait ahead of the deadline.

The 30-year-old winger has 15 goals and 21 points in 46 games this season and TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun believes he could benefit any contender in a Stanley Cup run.

“I think any team that thinks they can win the Cup this year, adding Wayne Simmonds would be a hell of a finishing touch. I love that guy,” LeBrun told TSN Radio 1040 Vancouver on Tuesday. “Those players are few and far between as the game continues to evolve in terms of the intimidation factor within an athlete who is also a heck of a player. He scored a beauty (Monday) night.

“And I will tell you this: I wrote about it last week, and yeah, I do agree he’d be a great fit in Boston. I think there’s lots of guys I could see in Boston that would make sense. Because the Bruins are calling around, and I do think they want an upgrade, particularly on the right side. For example, if Jakob Silfverberg doesn’t end up re-signing with Anaheim, I wonder about him. There’s lots of guys, probably like a dozen names I can give you, that would make sense for Boston.

“But you know where I’d really like to see Wayne Simmonds is in Tampa Bay. I know what you’re going to say. It’s the last thing they need is a forward, but I’m going to tell you right now that I think there was certainly some hesitation within the organization the way they kind of meekly went out to Washington last spring. And I think part of it is the Caps pushed them around. And obviously you’ve got Tom Wilson on that Stanley Cup championship team that is quite a wildcard himself, in that he’s a great player but also he’s scary. Well let me tell you, if those teams happen to meet again at some point down the road in the playoffs, having Wayne Simmonds on your side wouldn’t be a bad thing if you’re the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“So I don’t know this for a fact, but I’d be shocked if that hasn’t come up in Tampa’s internal meetings, that they should at least inquire. But as an executive told me last week: name the contender - Wayne Simmonds has come up in their mid-season scouting meetings. Like, come on.”

Simmonds carries a $3.975 million cap hit and TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said last week the winger is "more likely than not to be traded."

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-kapanen-johnsson-available-1.1242273

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

As a pending unrestricted free agent on the last-place Philadelphia Flyers, Wayne Simmonds has emerged as trade bait ahead of the deadline.

The 30-year-old winger has 15 goals and 21 points in 46 games this season and TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun believes he could benefit any contender in a Stanley Cup run.

“I think any team that thinks they can win the Cup this year, adding Wayne Simmonds would be a hell of a finishing touch. I love that guy,” LeBrun told TSN Radio 1040 Vancouver on Tuesday. “Those players are few and far between as the game continues to evolve in terms of the intimidation factor within an athlete who is also a heck of a player. He scored a beauty (Monday) night.

“And I will tell you this: I wrote about it last week, and yeah, I do agree he’d be a great fit in Boston. I think there’s lots of guys I could see in Boston that would make sense. Because the Bruins are calling around, and I do think they want an upgrade, particularly on the right side. For example, if Jakob Silfverberg doesn’t end up re-signing with Anaheim, I wonder about him. There’s lots of guys, probably like a dozen names I can give you, that would make sense for Boston.

“But you know where I’d really like to see Wayne Simmonds is in Tampa Bay. I know what you’re going to say. It’s the last thing they need is a forward, but I’m going to tell you right now that I think there was certainly some hesitation within the organization the way they kind of meekly went out to Washington last spring. And I think part of it is the Caps pushed them around. And obviously you’ve got Tom Wilson on that Stanley Cup championship team that is quite a wildcard himself, in that he’s a great player but also he’s scary. Well let me tell you, if those teams happen to meet again at some point down the road in the playoffs, having Wayne Simmonds on your side wouldn’t be a bad thing if you’re the Tampa Bay Lightning.

“So I don’t know this for a fact, but I’d be shocked if that hasn’t come up in Tampa’s internal meetings, that they should at least inquire. But as an executive told me last week: name the contender - Wayne Simmonds has come up in their mid-season scouting meetings. Like, come on.”

Simmonds carries a $3.975 million cap hit and TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said last week the winger is "more likely than not to be traded."

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-kapanen-johnsson-available-1.1242273
I think the return could be very nice. Tampa has a lot of pressure on them. I don’t think many teams would argue that Simmonds could very well push their team to be a champ. So in the end, even if it’s winning a bidding war and losing a trade, who cares if you win a cup. Still the max is an A prospect or young player with top 6 value and a 1st, but that’s pretty good!

Reactions: hatcher and Foggy14

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think the return could be very nice. Tampa has a lot of pressure on them. I don’t think many teams would argue that Simmonds could very well push their team to be a champ. So in the end, even if it’s winning a bidding war and losing a trade, who cares if you win a cup. Still the max is an A prospect or young player with top 6 value and a 1st, but that’s pretty good!
Oh good lord they are gonna throw jt Miller and Callahan on us while we give them simmer and raffl.
All I want is for simmer to finish on a high note with the flyers. Like a gordie howe hatty or something.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I was told Simmer would not beat out Joseph or Erne...so would be in Syracuse. True main board story.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i could not support simmer in a bruins or tml jersey. LIke give me kapanen, but i would hope simmer signed elsewhere in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->