Simmonds and Voracek time to go

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We should be in win-now mode next year.

No, we shouldn't. Still too far away from being a Cup contender.

We should be in "add pieces to an eventual Cup winning team" mode, that is, we don't need more draft picks or prospects, but we don't want to add more 30+ players (unless we subtract a few, and only on short-term deals that aren't expensive in terms of assets).

Ideally, we'd be looking at UFAs who are 26-27 and good fits. Stone, Panarin, guys who'll be major contributors for most of their contracts.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
No, we shouldn't. Still too far away from being a Cup contender.

We should be in "add pieces to an eventual Cup winning team" mode, that is, we don't need more draft picks or prospects, but we don't want to add more 30+ players (unless we subtract a few, and only on short-term deals that aren't expensive in terms of assets).

Ideally, we'd be looking at UFAs who are 26-27 and good fits. Stone, Panarin, guys who'll be major contributors for most of their contracts.
I honestly think we aren't too far from contending. Obviously our biggest need is and has been goaltending but hopefully we have the solution to that in place and he just needs time and support.

Secondly, I believe we have done a huge disservice to our young defensemen by not trading for an anchor back there that they can learn from and rely on. I would keep Provorov, Sanheim and Myers and trade anyone else to get an all-star type like Pietrangelo, McDonaugh, EK etc. Watching our D flounder night after night treating the puck like a disease is sickening.

Yes our forwards need tweaking but there is plenty of experience and talent there to be a contender and is the least of our issues. Yes we need a competent coach badly (happy they made a change but I actually think Gordon might be just as bad) but if I was CF job one would be to secure an all star anchor D the goalie, young D and coach can rely on. I think we do have the resources to get it done.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the Flyers rebuild on defense. Of all the things that have happened since the termination of Hextall/Hakstol, the play on the back end has been most impressive. Rick Wilson has turned this mess around. Provorov has played better, Sanheim has really stepped up, Gudas has been a revelation lately with his improved play without giving up the edge that he needs to use in order to be effective. Hart has played great but without the improvement of the defense in front of him, he'd be hung out to dry too many times. Now if Wilson can continue to bring along the D with the addition of Myers and Morin, things are going to look much brighter in the near future.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly think we aren't too far from contending. Obviously our biggest need is and has been goaltending but hopefully we have the solution to that in place and he just needs time and support.

Secondly, I believe we have done a huge disservice to our young defensemen by not trading for an anchor back there that they can learn from and rely on. I would keep Provorov, Sanheim and Myers and trade anyone else to get an all-star type like Pietrangelo, McDonaugh, EK etc. Watching our D flounder night after night treating the puck like a disease is sickening.

Yes our forwards need tweaking but there is plenty of experience and talent there to be a contender and is the least of our issues. Yes we need a competent coach badly (happy they made a change but I actually think Gordon might be just as bad) but if I was CF job one would be to secure an all star anchor D the goalie, young D and coach can rely on. I think we do have the resources to get it done.

our defense is like oline and dline in football, i think that's what gms overlook, they always thinking that have elite forwards are the reason why teams win cups but when it comes to the blue line, it's major reason why they are successful.

i mean you look at the teams that are struggling, they dont have a good blue line.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the Flyers rebuild on defense. Of all the things that have happened since the termination of Hextall/Hakstol, the play on the back end has been most impressive. Rick Wilson has turned this mess around. Provorov has played better, Sanheim has really stepped up, Gudas has been a revelation lately with his improved play without giving up the edge that he needs to use in order to be effective. Hart has played great but without the improvement of the defense in front of him, he'd be hung out to dry too many times. Now if Wilson can continue to bring along the D with the addition of Myers and Morin, things are going to look much brighter in the near future.
Maybe a bit better but not sure how you can say that coming off of an 8 game losing streak that we looked atrocious in most of those games and in breaking the streak Hart faced 38 shots and totally stood on his head only giving up 1 point blank shot to get that win.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
our defense is like oline and dline in football, i think that's what gms overlook, they always thinking that have elite forwards are the reason why teams win cups but when it comes to the blue line, it's major reason why they are successful.

i mean you look at the teams that are struggling, they dont have a good blue line.

Haven't watched any games in a while (been busy and i'm on the west coast) but is the #1 PP still garbage? How is the PK looking? Special teams have been quite troubling for the flyers this year.

They aren't getting the production they need from Nolan Patrick.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Haven't watched any games in a while (been busy and i'm on the west coast) but is the #1 PP still garbage? How is the PK looking? Special teams have been quite troubling for the flyers this year.

They aren't getting the production they need from Nolan Patrick.
No need to single out Patrick. Kid is not getting pp time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Defenses require time, very few 1st pair D-men under 25 for a reason.
Adding a veteran anchor would help the kids, but so will time, Nashville's group didn't really come into their own until they were 24.
And Hart will need a couple years to take the next step up.

So "win now" is futile.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No need to single out Patrick. Kid is not getting pp time.
He’s being used horribly at 5v5 too.

When it was Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek they looked awesome and were producing. Then Hak idiotically changed it up to put Weise on the line.

Now with Gordon, the kid is still being misused. He puts Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek back together and they look good... so what does he then do? Patrick with Simmonds and Laughton...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Patrick should be on the 3rd line for now. The team sets up better with Giroux and Couturier as the top two centers. But I wish Simmonds was gone already. Even Raffl would be a better 3RW option.

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He’s being used horribly at 5v5 too.

When it was Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek they looked awesome and were producing. Then Hak idiotically changed it up to put Weise on the line.

Now with Gordon, the kid is still being misused. He puts Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek back together and they look good... so what does he then do? Patrick with Simmonds and Laughton...

When Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek were together recently, I'd characterize it as "Lindblom and Voracek looked good, Patrick was probably on the ice but I never noticed him."

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Defenses require time, very few 1st pair D-men under 25 for a reason.
Adding a veteran anchor would help the kids, but so will time, Nashville's group didn't really come into their own until they were 24.
And Hart will need a couple years to take the next step up.

So "win now" is futile.

Defensemen don't develop any slower than forwards.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Jets won’t get Simmer. Unless it’s to avoid Preds getting him, but he doesn’t even crack their lineup.

Maybe plays on the 4th line, but their normal 4th line is all about speed.

Wheeler
Ehlers
Tanev

That’s top 3 RW and he isn’t bumping them

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
yes they do and its a pretty well known thing

Counterpoint: No they don't.

What is certainly true is that NHL teams draft defensemen much more poorly than they do forwards, truly great defensemen are ready for the NHL by age 19-20 just as often as great forwards. Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty -- these guys were all firmly established as star players by age 20. That's true at the next tier as well -- Trouba, Subban, Slavin. Seth Jones, etc.

There are more forwards (of any type) than defensemen, obviously, so it appears there are only X amount of good young defensemen, while there are always 3x good young forwards.

Under-25 top pairing defensemen aren't hard to find at all, 40%-50% of the teams in the league have one, some (like the Flyers) have two.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Counterpoint: No they don't.

What is certainly true is that NHL teams draft defensemen much more poorly than they do forwards, truly great defensemen are ready for the NHL by age 19-20 just as often as great forwards. Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty -- these guys were all firmly established as star players by age 20. That's true at the next tier as well -- Trouba, Subban, Slavin. Seth Jones, etc.

There are more forwards (of any type) than defensemen, obviously, so it appears there are only X amount of good young defensemen, while there are always 3x good young forwards.

Under-25 top pairing defensemen aren't hard to find at all, 40%-50% of the teams in the league have one, some (like the Flyers) have two.
you only said ‘defenseman’ dont take longer to develop which is simply wrong

I dont have an opinion either way on if top pair defenseman take longer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->