Silver Lining....? (the offense)

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Ok, this last loss (CBJ) was tough, I know. The 2 goal lead didn't hold, and the PP was atrocious. But a majority of that problem is due to our weakness on the back end. Which, lets face it, we all knew was going to be a problem this season. I was happy to see our offense and our forecheck play top notch for most of the game. Lots of speed, net traffic, tipped shots, decent passing on the rush.. for the most part looked good. Not as one-sided as I would to have liked to see but some more work on the blue line should help that. A few mistakes led to shots against and a couple GA but for the most part are playing OUR game offensively. The only thing needed is details. I think Artem Anisimov's long injury delay killed our momentum for a while. I think if we play the way we did tonight and refine our game (PP) we should win most games. I realize we were playing Columbus but both teams played really good. Bottom line I think the wings did more things right than wrong tonight. Maybe I'm trying too hard to find a silver lining in this skid, but I was happy to see the puck being put on net. What's your opinion

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
a thread named silver lining and not one mention of Mursak?

for shame :shakehead

anyways the PP seems pretty hopeless,i'll be shocked if it suddenly gets any better

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
We've had quite a few games where we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by not being able to hold onto a lead. You can call that lack of back-end D, but what it is, is failure to score when you need it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ok, this last loss (CBJ) was tough, I know. The 2 goal lead didn't hold, and the PP was atrocious. But a majority of that problem is due to our weakness on the back end. Which, lets face it, we all knew was going to be a problem this season. I was happy to see our offense and our forecheck play top notch for most of the game. Lots of speed, net traffic, tipped shots, decent passing on the rush.. for the most part looked good. Not as one-sided as I would to have liked to see but some more work on the blue line should help that. A few mistakes led to shots against and a couple GA but for the most part are playing OUR game offensively. The only thing needed is details. I think Artem Anisimov's long injury delay killed our momentum for a while. I think if we play the way we did tonight and refine our game (PP) we should win most games. I realize we were playing Columbus but both teams played really good. Bottom line I think the wings did more things right than wrong tonight. Maybe I'm trying too hard to find a silver lining in this skid, but I was happy to see the puck being put on net. What's your opinion

Eh, the defense allowed 24 shots on goal. That's great as the focus was icing a lot of defensive d-men (Ericsson, Lashoff, Quincey, Huskins). Howard was brutal with that rebound of the first goal, Z had a bad TO on the second goal, etc. This game could have been a 2-0 shutout.

I think our defense is showing improvement. The PP is dreadful and I suspect it's because we don't have a true PP QB. That's why I want to try to pick up Lubomir Visnovsky.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Eh, the defense allowed 24 shots on goal. That's great as the focus was icing a lot of defensive d-men (Ericsson, Lashoff, Quincey, Huskins). Howard was brutal with that rebound of the first goal, Z had a bad TO on the second goal, etc. This game could have been a 2-0 shutout.

I think our defense is showing improvement. The PP is dreadful and I suspect it's because we don't have a true PP QB. That's why I want to try to pick up Lubomir Visnovsky.

Ugh, what makes you think Lubomir can QB a PP? LOL:help:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ugh, what makes you think Lubomir can QB a PP? LOL:help:

Hmmm could it possibly be those 455 points at the NHL level? The fact he put up 68 points 2 seasons ago and is on pace to put up close to 60 points this year if it was a full 82 game schedule?

Add in the fact the Isles aren't a playoff team and he'll never sign a contract with them and he's a guy who will get traded. He'd be our one true offensive defenseman, a Brian Rafalski type of d-man who would instantly improve our terrible power play.

So there's that. ;)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hmmm could it possibly be those 455 points at the NHL level? The fact he put up 68 points 2 seasons ago and is on pace to put up close to 60 points this year if it was a full 82 game schedule?

Add in the fact the Isles aren't a playoff team and he'll never sign a contract with them and he's a guy who will get traded. He'd be our one true offensive defenseman, a Brian Rafalski type of d-man who would instantly improve our terrible power play.

So there's that. ;)

We are in total agreement here.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

So there's that. ;)

We are in total agreement here.

Ya Lubo would be a good pickup if we also get a solid defensive guy like Smid or Scuderi.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013

So there's that. ;)

Never thought about that move as an option, but it makes sense. I totally agree. Besides doing something is better than nothing at this point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Never thought about that move as an option, but it makes sense. I totally agree. Besides doing something is better than nothing at this point.

Low cost and he gives you time to find a more long term option or wait for the prospects to hit the NHL. A nice stopgap measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->