GDT: Silicon Valley @ Tinseltown 7:30

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
ek65 has the sniffles. might be a cold running through the team. he mentioned guys weren't feeling good.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
so what did everyone think of the reffing?

here’s my beef. If the refs are going to call it tight, call it tight the whole game for both teams. If you’re gonna call it loose, call it loose for both teams. They’re not and the sharks are getting the short end of the stick. I have a bigger problem with how bad we’ve been getting boned on reviews this year and George Parros being in charge of player safety. That’s the biggest joke in the NHL today.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I’m probably the biggest Thornton apologist and fan here but I think we may need to put him on a load management system. He can go balls to the wall then spend a game or two resting and/or playing 4th line minutes before again going all out.

Reactions: Phu and LA Shark

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m probably the biggest Thornton apologist and fan here but I think we may need to put him on a load management system. He can go balls to the wall then spend a game or two resting and/or playing 4th line minutes before again going all out.

Thornton isn't the top priority to deal with right now. Goodrow on the 2nd line and playing 20 minutes in this 7D set up while Suomela is playing 6 minutes and Heed is only playing 9 minutes on D. They're doing it obviously at first because Simek got hurt and they've won but it's not sustainable. They're going to wear Kane and Meier out given their physical nature with the extra minutes and Goodrow is way out of his depth that high up the lineup. I think he can be a solid 3rd line winger with how his season has been going but they need Hertl back and they need to revert back to 6D and spread out the forward minutes better.

What that all means for Thornton is tough to tell. They don't trust anyone other than Goodrow to be a center but he's better as a winger who takes draws than actually playing the center position between the whistles. I don't think they're equipped to manage Thornton's load in that way right now. They need Hertl to push Goodrow back down where he belongs more than anything else right now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’m not sure that Jumbo has a “balls to the wall” setting anymore. :(

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
here’s my beef. If the refs are going to call it tight, call it tight the whole game for both teams. If you’re gonna call it loose, call it loose for both teams. They’re not and the sharks are getting the short end of the stick. I have a bigger problem with how bad we’ve been getting boned on reviews this year and George Parros being in charge of player safety. That’s the biggest joke in the NHL today.
Preach on, brotha'.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I really don’t think his ice time has anything to do with it. I just don’t think he’s capable of playing at a top-9 level anymore. Hope I’m wrong.

My brain agrees but my heart still believes Jumbo can go bananas when needed.

So I’m gonna keep holding out that maybe by employing load management on him, he’ll look better

Reactions: Sandisfan

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
I really don’t think his ice time has anything to do with it. I just don’t think he’s capable of playing at a top-9 level anymore. Hope I’m wrong.
This. He just can't keep up. Marleau had always been an iron Man AND able to skate and can still keep up. Thornton looks old, plays old and is just old and tired. Liability.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Jones, EK65 and Meier looked great in this game. EK65s interception with about 5 min to go was awesome. Not sure why guys are ragging on Goody. I thought he played as well as you could expect considering where he had to play. I bet he doesn't want to be the #2 C either. His zone entry on one of Meiers goals was instrumental and a high confidence move. He was also nails on the PK. Yes it would be better to have him as a 3rd line wing but none of this is his fault.

Years ago there was a meme or graphic with Patty walking away from an exploding staples (?) center. I think someone made it after he scored an overtime goal in the playoffs. Maybe game 3 from the reverse sweep series? That would be appropriate for this game if anyone has it.

Thornton isn't the top priority to deal with right now. Goodrow on the 2nd line and playing 20 minutes in this 7D set up while Suomela is playing 6 minutes and Heed is only playing 9 minutes on D. They're doing it obviously at first because Simek got hurt and they've won but it's not sustainable. They're going to wear Kane and Meier out given their physical nature with the extra minutes and Goodrow is way out of his depth that high up the lineup. I think he can be a solid 3rd line winger with how his season has been going but they need Hertl back and they need to revert back to 6D and spread out the forward minutes better.

What that all means for Thornton is tough to tell. They don't trust anyone other than Goodrow to be a center but he's better as a winger who takes draws than actually playing the center position between the whistles. I don't think they're equipped to manage Thornton's load in that way right now. They need Hertl to push Goodrow back down where he belongs more than anything else right now.
Aside from getting Hertl back, they need Shovels to take that 3c position. Not sure why he's only getting 6 min, he's looked good so far to me.
Sadly I think you are right. He seems to have fallen off a cliff this season. The previous 2 you could blame the rehab but there's no real reason other than age for his decline in play. Must be how Detroit fans felt watching Yzerman limp around his last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftHeartInSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad