TV: Silicon Valley Pt 2

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
MIT built the ‘Shazam for food’ app that HBO’s 'Silicon Valley' couldn’t

This app has all the ingredients to be successful.

The team at MIT CSAIL has created Pic2Recipe, a new AI-driven software that can spit out ingredients and cooking directions for a dish just by analyzing a picture of it.

Think Shazam for food -- kind of like that app the guys from HBO's "Silicon Valley" tried building.

How does Pic2Recipe work?

CSAIL researchers borrowed from cooking websites to build a database of over 1 million recipes and then connected it to an aggregate of modified versions of pre-existing food recognition platforms.

The team then trained a neural network to link a picture that’s uploaded to it with one in its database of food images and, eventually, a recipe.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Richard's ineptitude and awkwardness was getting old, hopefully they don't continue to drive that aspect of his character into the ground.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It sucks that TJ Miller's character is gone (won't get into the off show stuff which rumors are out there) but Jian Yang still being there should at least create an interesting dynamic.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think I stopped watching after or during season 3. It felt like it was getting very repetitive. Plots never developed, they just seemed to 'reset'. Also it just got less funny.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They turned him into an ahole last season. my hope in s5 is that they tune him back down to the socially awkward guy
I agree. Before he was a least somewhat likable but last year they pushed it to far. It threw everything a bit out of wack to me.
I disagree. I thought that Richard was initially a really bland and cliched socially awkward protagonist and then evolved into a more interestingly flawed, unlikeable, condescending, and egotistical person. Kind of like the way you slowly realize what a disingenuous tool Michael Bluth in Arrested Development was. I agree that Richard's stupidity and ineptitude and the way that the show settled into an inorganic formula was really annoying, but for the most part, I liked the direction his character went in and the fact that he was unlikeable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hah, that had me rolling.

Also, Richard's devious pizza ordering was pretty great, too. Unexpected from him and, shockingly, it didn't immediately backfire.
I suppose the entire purpose of this seasons is going to be to show us how much Richard is becoming Gavin? Because that was a decidedly Gavin move.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
It took a while for me to warm to Laurie, but that little "Ugh" thing she did when Richard congratulated her on the baby was great

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The signature on the signature was awesome.

Richard's awkwardness is still one of the best things about the show, I don't think it's gotten old at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->