Confirmed with Link: Silicon Valley Investor to Seek More Stakes in Rangers/Knicks

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
"Dolan will continue to control the Knicks and Rangers for the foreseeable future, even as MSG spins off about two-thirds of the value of the teams to current MSG shareholders."

I don't like the sound of that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Knicks, valued at $4 billion by Forbes, and the Rangers, valued at $1.55 billion, have the distinction of being the priciest sports franchise in their respective leagues — despite being losing teams with disgruntled fans.

I know Knicks fans are disgruntled. Are Rangers fans? That surprised me.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know Dolan gets a lot of ****, and deservedly so.. But we're very fortunate to have him as Rangers fans.

I would go as far as to say that Dolan is in the conversation for being the best owner in hockey. He gives the team every resource it needs and leaves it to the hockey people to run things without interference.

But he's simultaneously the worst owner in basketball, which is a pretty crazy combination.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I would go as far as to say that Dolan is in the conversation for being the best owner in hockey. He gives the team every resource it needs and leaves it to the hockey people to run things without interference.

But he's simultaneously the worst owner in basketball, which is a pretty crazy combination.
Spot on.

He reminds me of the owner for the automotive group that I work for. We have a great crew here and we have all the resources we need - and even some that we don't need but want.

Everything runs smooth here - until he gets involved. He's his own worst enemy, similar to Dolan.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
"Dolan will continue to control the Knicks and Rangers for the foreseeable future, even as MSG spins off about two-thirds of the value of the teams to current MSG shareholders."

I don't like the sound of that.

I do

We have one of the best owners in the sport

Amazing how people just run with these takes

When have you ever heard a bad thing about Rangers ownership or how they operate?

The Knicks are a different story. I'm convinced there is an Evil Jim Dolan twin over there

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Dolan may be a slowly melting toad who churns out garbage blues music but he writes checks and stays away which is more than fine with me.

Reactions: Rangers743

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013

It’s actually very intuitive when you think about it in terms of the power/talent of an individual player in basketball vs hockey. The upper echelon of basketball players have tremendous leverage in determining where they want to play and what situation suits them best. A few NHL players have similar leverage but for the most part they go to the highest bidder. The max salary figure for NBAers means they don’t really have to put up with absurd ownership.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I do

When have you ever heard a bad thing about Rangers ownership or how they operate?

The Knicks are a different story. I'm convinced there is an Evil Jim Dolan twin over there

Jekyll and Hyde version of Jim Dolan, lolol....

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I do

the owners impact should start and stop with deciding how much $$ they will spend...like you said there is never a single word said about the rangers and dolan but dolan is blamed for everything with the knicks. but really there is only one thing different between dolan's rangers and dolan's knicks...and that is glen sather. dolan trusted sather, the rangers put smart people in place to make hockey decisions and dolan just signed the checks. meanwhile the knicks have been run by a parade of buffoons

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I do

If the only good thing about the owner is that he ignores the team to focus his energy on making his other team a dumpster fire, I don't think I can agree.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If the only good thing about the owner is that he ignores the team to focus his energy on making his other team a dumpster fire, I don't think I can agree.

I wouldn't say he ignores it, exactly. He hires people then trusts them to run the team without his interference. He's also not shy about spending money to help the team in any way possible.

Which other NHL owner would you rather have?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Thank god Dolan doesn't think he knows hockey like he thinks he knows basketball and the blues.

Nothing worse than an old, rich white playing the blues (vomit).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Dolan is even if he's kind of hands off he's actually interested in the Rangers. He's been a Rangers fan all his life. This corporate conglomerate are going to be interested in one thing mainly----making a profit. The same will pretty much go for some super wealthy guy like Bezos or Zuckerberg. Any of these people or entities would almost certainly have balked if Gorton came to them a couple years ago about taking the team back to scratch. They would have probably fired his ass and be doing what the San Jose Sharks are doing right now. You really want an owner who loves the game and not everything is about the bottom line. You want him/her to hire good hockey people and know when to stay out of the way.

Reactions: CasusBelli

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I wouldn't say he ignores it, exactly. He hires people then trusts them to run the team without his interference. He's also not shy about spending money to help the team in any way possible.

Which other NHL owner would you rather have?
What exactly is the difference between how he operates the Knicks and Rangers then? Both teams have the same basic structure. He writes checks for both. You make it sound like he is a great NHL owner despite being a terrible NBA owner. No. He's a terrible owner but he just focuses his terribleness on the Knicks. Should he shift his gaze... I don't even want to think about it!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What exactly is the difference between how he operates the Knicks and Rangers then? Both teams have the same basic structure. He writes checks for both. You make it sound like he is a great NHL owner despite being a terrible NBA owner. No. He's a terrible owner but he just focuses his terribleness on the Knicks. Should he shift his gaze... I don't even want to think about it!

I can't say exactly what Dolan does with the Knicks--I don't follow basketball--but it seems like he is more actively involved with the day to day operation of the team. That has never been the case with the Rangers in all the years he has been the owner. I don't see him suddenly shifting course now. If he does, then sure, call him a bad owner. Until then, I'm very glad he's the owner, particularly when you consider some of the other owners out there. We're the most valuable franchise in the NHL and if there's a limit to how much Dolan will spend on the team, I'm not sure if we've seen it yet.

What exactly has Dolan done with the Rangers that would make you think he isn't a good owner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad