TV: Silicon Valley final season

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Can't wait until each character gets their own spinoff which culminates into silicon universe to save the world. Should be fune.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I caught up on the final season in times for the finale. I really liked this final season. Being a bigger company facing slightly different issues helped, as was giving characters like Dinesh and Gilfoyle different characters to play off of rather than just each other.

This really was a good show. Yes, it fell into some formula traps, with a deux Ex Machina ending almost every season, but it really had a strong cast of characters.

I like Richard's arc, even though it was fairly small. It presented a world where there was little room for idealism, and interesting to see how quickly and easily the team got pulled into the competitiveness and survival mode.

But, it was mainly just a very funny show with lots of great gags over the life of it.

Reactions: Tuggy and Kurtz

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I thought they might bring TJ Miller back, but with the implication that Jian Yang murdered him for his money, and the amount of fat/ugly jokes they got in there, as well as the "I hope he didn't blow all his money" joke, it's clear there was no love lost there.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
One character I was hoping they'd loop back to for this final season is Jack Barker. He might be one of my favorite smaller characters.

I think he was last taken hostage by the Chinese factory workers.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I thought they might bring TJ Miller back, but with the implication that Jian Yang murdered him for his money, and the amount of fat/ugly jokes they got in there, as well as the "I hope he didn't blow all his money" joke, it's clear there was no love lost there.
Lol yeah really. Obviously you knew Jian Yang would be there and not actually dead, but I was really expecting a Miller appearance in that scene as well. Safe to say that relationship isn't too strong lol.

While I didn't really think the finale worked all that well comedically compared to the rest of this season, I really liked what they did story-wise. The cliffhanger seemed really unnecessary but I get leaving it open if they ever revisit it.

Overall, amazing show, and I thought they handled the loss of a huge character very well.

Jared Dunn will go down as one of my favorite comedy characters ever.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
the show was definitely funnier with Erlich on it but they did what they could without him and it worked pretty well overall. Jared picked up a lot of slack and nailed it. Laurie was one of my favorite characters, just about every one of her lines makes me laugh. I loved how Gavin became a romance novelist and Big Head became president at Stanford. I did think that as time went on Richard, Danesh, and Gilfoyle just became less funny overall, especially since most Richard jokes were Big Bang Theory-esque.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Couple personal fav moments from the series:

Around this time, I (Asian guy) was befriended by a white guy and Indian guy at work and we'd have lunch together everyday. We saw the episode and joked that we needed to complete the group of five.

I bought a new car in 2013 and would ironically blast "Nookie" when I picked up my friends. So when Russ was introduced doing it, I laughed that much harder. Granted my car doesn't have doors that "open like this" and I'm not a member of the three comma club.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
It was time for this show to end, it has been stale this season.

Was there any Ron LaFlamme this season? I am going thru Mad Men right now, and barely recognized him because the characters are so different. LaFlamme and the disbarred attorney were two of my favorite secondary characters.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I thought LaFlamme was in a couple episodes including the finale (scene when Richard addresses the media after shutting down Pied Piper). He had that one scene with Richard where he was remarking on how well Gavin had screwed them with the injunction.

Forget if it was mentioned in the thread, but Tres Comas is an actual product you can buy. I've been on the fence ($45+shipping) about getting it, mostly due to me not drinking so it'd be an expensive sight gag decoration.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
One character I now realize I missed in this final season was Andy Daly as Dr. Crawford. His scenes with Richard were always a comedy goldmine.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The show definitely overstayed its welcome and became too repetitive in the almost cartoonish way the show would put the cast/company at impossible odds only to have dumb luck or impossible circumstances bail them out. The plot development and departure of Erlich, imo, kept this show from being one of the greats.

But even with this show dropping off in quality, it still came out to a higher tier of comedy than many other shows. And I'm happy with how it ended.

Gavin Belson is still one of my favorite television characters of all time.

Reactions: Hivemind

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
The show definitely overstayed its welcome and became too repetitive in the almost cartoonish way the show would put the cast/company at impossible odds only to have dumb luck or impossible circumstances bail them out. The plot development and departure of Erlich, imo, kept this show from being one of the greats.

But even with this show dropping off in quality, it still came out to a higher tier of comedy than many other shows. And I'm happy with how it ended.

Gavin Belson is still one of my favorite television characters of all time.

Yeah, the repetitiveness is the main reason I took a break from it after season four. I was out of things to watch and just finished up the series this morning. I like how they wrapped it all up but man...

There's no way Erlich is alive right? Jin Yang stole his identity and has guys guarding his place with assult rifles. That's pretty heavy. I guess Jin Yang won in the end, haha.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Agree with others. They just couldn't do anything new it needed it end.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
The only proper ending should have been Richard vs Gavin. Hoping to see more Nanjiani in future TV/film and less Middelditch. Amanda Crew is.....attractive. Series finale was trash. Show had some very funny moments, but this series will be easily forgotten in just a few years.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
One character I was hoping they'd loop back to for this final season is Jack Barker. He might be one of my favorite smaller characters.

I think he was last taken hostage by the Chinese factory workers.

Gavin negotiated his release & flew him back to the States on his private jet. He was forced out of Hooli & the plane dropped him off in Jackson Hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->