TSN: Silfverberg Expected to re-sign with the Ducks

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Silfver is a good hockey player, but I probably would have moved him for futures. I’ll be ok with 3-4 years at 4-4.5 mil...and no NMC!

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Silfver is a good hockey player, but I probably would have moved him for futures. I’ll be ok with 3-4 years at 4-4.5 mil...and no NMC!
He is going to get a LOT more than that, especially if it is that short of a deal.

I expect something like the Tom Wilson contract (5.2 M per x 6 years).

Reactions: Tex76

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
He is going to get a LOT more than that, especially if it is that short of a deal.

I expect something like the Tom Wilson contract (5.2 M per x 6 years).

28 years old, career high of 49 points. It'd be a big mistake for a team that can't seem to win to sign someone like that to big money and term. Seems like a mistake

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm one of the pro resigning Silfverberg. 20g, good in the playoffs and Selke caliber defense is something you tend to keep. Clearly not at every cost but I've no problem going until 33. This is far from being a Kesler like deal. Silfverberg also plays a much more "healthy" game.

If the Ducks want someone the young players can look up to and can learn a lot of playing a 200 foot game Silfverberg is a keeper imho.

In the end of the day, if you trade him to a contender you hope to get a pick that may turn out like him someday. The Ducks want to retool according to GMBM. Retooling means tarteting the playoffs soon and this is where Silfverberg is good at. Some fans want to go into a full tank mode. I can not see that happening and I'm fine with it. Some are not.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

It all depends what the futures look like. Most think he will fetch a first round draft pick. Honestly I've no clue what the offers are.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm confused. Why would you guys move Fowler? What do you want for him?

Bob Murray wants to retool. Fowler is one possible piece, as is Henrique or someone else. Some players will be hard to move (Perry, Kesler, ...) others will be keeper (Lindholm, Gibson, Getzlaf, etc.)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’ve always been a fan of his game.

Doesn’t appear Columbus has ever even been interested/inquired though.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Cap room is very limited, some sort of cost cutting move may be required. Fowler makes the most out of the big 4 D, yet is arguably the most expendable. Lindholm is the top guy, and the two RHD would be extremely difficult to replace. We have two quality LHD prospects who could conceivably step in and fill Fowler's shoes on the second pairing. Jacob Larsson should be ready for more responsibility moving forward and Josh Mahura should be biting at his heels in short order as well.

Fowler and his elite controlled zone exit ability would likely fit so much better on a more dynamic transitional team. I could really see him flourishing elsewhere.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Cap room is very limited, some sort of cost cutting move may be required. Fowler makes the most out of the big 4 D, yet is arguably the most expendable. Lindholm is the top guy, and the two RHD would be extremely difficult to replace. We have two quality LHD prospects who could conceivably step in and fill Fowler's shoes on the second pairing. Jacob Larsson should be ready for more responsibility moving forward and Josh Mahura should be biting at his heels in short order as well.

Fowler and his elite controlled zone exit ability would likely fit so much better on a more dynamic transitional team. I could really see him flourishing elsewhere.

Yeah, I really like Fowler and your explanation makes sense. What's the asking price?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, I really like Fowler and your explanation makes sense. What's the asking price?
Col 1st (top 10 protected), if it lands in top 10 becomes unprotected 2020 1st
Timmins

For
Fowler

Maybe small adds to even it out

paine

Jun 4, 2007
LeBrun Notebook: Clarity coming soon on Mark Stone's...

You can take his name off any trade list.

Sources suggest the Ducks and Silfverberg have essentially come to an agreement on what will be a five-year deal but it can’t be signed and made official at this point because of tagging issues the team is dealing with.

It’s not clear when exactly they can get the contract signed. But what’s clear is that any team calling Anaheim on Silfverberg is being told he’s not available.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I think the @Getz2perry is in the right ballpark. Something around your 1st with some level of protection + another good young piece like Timmins seems about fair, or perhaps Kaut in place of the pick?

Would a top 5 protected 1st + Timmins, or Kaut + Timmins seem like unreasonable requests?

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
LeBrun Notebook: Clarity coming soon on Mark Stone's...

You can take his name off any trade list.

Sources suggest the Ducks and Silfverberg have essentially come to an agreement on what will be a five-year deal but it can’t be signed and made official at this point because of tagging issues the team is dealing with.

It’s not clear when exactly they can get the contract signed. But what’s clear is that any team calling Anaheim on Silfverberg is being told he’s not available.

On March 1st we'll have an additional 10% of tagging room to use and should be fine to finalize by then ( I would think).

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
figured Silver was gone for sure - would have got some decent value in return

Murray is letting the recent winning swing they are suddenly back on, cloud his judgment

he is smelling that wildcard.. of mediocrity

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

He is the Ducks whipping boy.

I understand people who would rather move him over the other 3 defensemen (Lindholm being better, Manson being unique, and Montour being younger) but people act like he is radioactive and we have to get rid of him. I would be fine with trading him but not for a lesser return.

He is only signed to age 34. He is paid appropriately. His NTC is very team friendly.

Timmins

For
Fowler

This is what I am talking about when I say a lesser return. Why would the Ducks make this trade? There is little upside for them. I can understand Lottery win protection, but top 10...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
figured Silver was gone for sure - would have got some decent value in return

Murray is letting the recent winning swing they are suddenly back on, cloud his judgment

he is smelling that wildcard.. of mediocrity

Not so sure about the return. Too much pieces in play and way less 1st rounder. Silfverberg may not fetch as much as you want. And I would not trade him for a 2nd rounder.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I think the @Getz2perry is in the right ballpark. Something around your 1st with some level of protection + another good young piece like Timmins seems about fair, or perhaps Kaut in place of the pick?

Would a top 5 protected 1st + Timmins, or Kaut + Timmins seem like unreasonable requests?

Timmins

For
Fowler

I'd easily do these. Top 5 protected + Kaut/Timmins/Meloche + 2nd round pick would be more fair to Ducks IMO. If it's pure futures you want.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd easily do these. Top 5 protected + Kaut/Timmins/Meloche + 2nd round pick would be more fair to Ducks IMO. If it's pure futures you want.

Perhaps I undersold then haha, but I happen to really like Kaut and there is obviously also benefit in freeing up the cap space and removing one less concern for the upcoming expansion draft.

If Fowler could return a very good prospect like Kaut, a first in the 6-15 range (in a draft that appears quite strong) and maybe more...while freeing up space to keep our best two way forward (Silf) in the fold...I think that's worth considering.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad