The Players' Tribune: Silence is Violence by Mark Fraser

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Or you're missing its point. There are most likely 3 groups in this situation, the people who stand against racism, people who are racist, and the most important group - the neutral observer. That 3rd group is the most important and it's no longer okay to just watch and observe and say I'm not racist - that's the whole point of the slogan. If you aren't working to better yourself, friends, or the world, then you might as well stand with the racists.

So what exactly can I do, concretely, as an individual, to help against racism, to "better myself"?

Writing doesn't convey tone very well, so I'll just make it clear that I'm genuinely curious, not sarcastic in any way.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Let's not act like the black community is the only oppressed group of people in the world. If what you said made any sense, anyone who's not actively protesting for women's rights in, for example, Middle East is a sexist. Anyone who's not trying to change prejudice against the gay people is a homophobic. I could go on but you got the point.
You're right, but one issue at a time here, let's fix the issues in North America before we worry about the Middle East.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I dont like the slogan "Silence is Violence" but I do believe willfull ignorance is tacit support of police violence and racism.

It doesn't take much effort to understand this issue.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
So what exactly can I do, concretely, as an individual, to help against racism, to "better myself"?

Writing doesn't convey tone very well, so I'll just make it clear that I'm genuinely curious, not sarcastic in any way.
Absolutely - read books about white privilege and white supremacy. Understand what it is and how (if you are white) you benefit it from it whether you know it or not.

You can donate money to black lives matters movements, or if you don't have money you can sign petitions to have justice served to cops or ex-cops who are allowed to walk free after murdering a person of colour.

Following black voices on social media is probably the best way to better yourself, listen to what they have to say, because unlike me, who can only read about their oppression, they actually live it everyday and have much better insights than I.

Reactions: abo9

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Numbers can lie and people can lie to skew numbers. There are tons of examples of black people being wrongfully killed with their murderers still walking out there - if you want to ignore those issues then yes you are part of the issue.
Sure in fact black murder by whites is the only underreported/skewed crime reporting and it is so underreported that the almost 2 to 1 difference in reported killings(yr avg) is actually reversed in fact its like 1 to 4 right? nevermind that black on black violence accounts for the vast majority of those so called executions.
Black people aren't being executed. Are they discriminated against? Absolutely but come on get a grip. Roughly 230 black people are killed by cops a year (reported) , only around 10(reported) is the victim unarmed that's less than 1 a day and less than 1 month. Yes that is too many but hardly an example of executions

Reactions: Kelly Robinson

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly, the best way to gain support for an issue isn't to shame people into doing something about it, but educate people and encourage everyone who has an opinion on it to say and do something.

Not call them out by name or imply that anyone who doesn't comment on it is complicit.

Reactions: Tripod and abo9

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's not just protesting in the streets that constitutes doing something. It's voting for someone who will actually make a change, it's educating yourself, and it's educating other white people. There is obviously more than those three groups, but the point is if you think that doing nothing is the way to go, then you are contributing to the issue continuing.

What if you don’t agree the candidates economic policies but they are extremely anti-racist?

What if instead you vote for the candidate whose economic policies you agree with but they make no mention of race relations in their platform? By your logic the person who voted for their own economic interests as their top priority is now a racist by default.

See how stupid this line of thinking is? Not only that it’s self-destructive and divisive. Flat out bad take all around.

Look, I agree racism is bad and I am supportive of more equality for traditionally oppressed minorities but what you’re suggesting doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Sasso09

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't know if Mark Fraser was silent, but that's an irrelevant point to this conversation.

Again you're missing the point. No one is saying you have to go and scream in the streets or even comment about it, but if you aren't actively educating yourself or others on this issue, then you are okay with the status quo. If your personal choice is that you don't want to get involved in this social issue then your silence means that you are okay with how the world is right now, and you are part of the problem. You burying your head in the sand means that you're okay knowing that people of colour don't have the same rights as you.

Ignorance is bliss my friend.

I hope you realize posting here doesn't count for you.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Oh, and once again this is political.
Some people can't see that racism and politics are two different issues unfortunately and has to change it to "this is what liberals want you to believe" instead of realizing "this is what people of colour want".

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I hope you realize posting here doesn't count for you.
Nope I do my part in other ways, but this is a mostly white board, so perhaps some of my words will have some people look around and educate themselves.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Some people can't see that racism and politics are two different issues unfortunately and has to change it to "this is what liberals want you to believe" instead of realizing "this is what people of colour want".

I hope you understand that your entire premise is based around belief that all African Americans think the same.

Reactions: Sasso09

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What if you don’t agree the candidates economic policies but they are extremely anti-racist?

What if instead you vote for the candidate whose economic policies you agree with but they make no mention of race relations in their platform? By your logic the person who voted for their own economic interests as their top priority is now a racist by default.

See how stupid this line of thinking is? Not only that it’s self-destructive and divisive. Flat out bad take all around.

Look, I agree racism is bad and I am supportive of more equality for traditionally oppressed minorities but what you’re suggesting doesn’t make sense.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to sit on my high horse and tell you I'm perfect. I'm learning too. I've voted based on economic principles before too. I was mostly conservative the first 5-10 years I voted. But if you are trying to decide what's more important, a rich economy or for every human being to be able to live their lives without prejudice and oppression then....well that's a form of white privilege. You have the privilege to vote for things that don't include equal rights because you already have all your rights.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's funny how this is apparently about killing black people and yet nobody could give two shits when a black police officer gets killed...
Give me an example of a black officer being killed where the killer isn't charged with murder (spoiler, it doesn't happen). The difference is when the positions are reversed, the cop almost always gets off of the charges.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well if you aren't actively trying to change how your country is right now, then sorry you are racist. If you can't look at how black people are being executed and think "this isn't right, something needs to change" then you're the issue.

What makes you think that those who are "silent" don't think that. I guess I can be considered one of the "silent" ones and I'm sick of the racial injustice in this country. Does that make me a racist?
You don't know me so don't label me. You don't know the many many folks who aren't actively protesting racial injustice or whatever you consider "actively trying to change the country" and could also be upset by racial injustice so don't label them. Your mentality just creates more divisiveness.

Reactions: Allan92 and snipes

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Give me an example of a black officer being killed where the killer isn't charged with murder (spoiler, it doesn't happen). The difference is when the positions are reversed, the cop almost always gets off of the charges.

If it's all about charges then tell me why the rioting didn't stop the minute George Floyd's killer was charged and arrested.

Oops. Because it's not.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What makes you think that those who are "silent" don't think that. I guess I can be considered one of the "silent" ones and I'm sick of the racial injustice in this country. Does that make me a racist?
You don't know me so don't label me. You don't know the many many folks who aren't actively protesting racial injustice or whatever you consider "actively trying to change the country" and could also be upset by racial injustice so don't label them. Your mentality just creates more divisiveness.
You're taking silence too literally. Again, they aren't saying you must protest, or you must post on social media, but you should actively trying to educate yourself or vote for people that will make the change. That's what you can do to make a change if you are truly sick of racial injustice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad