Silence is Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
One would think that any initial movement would be made fairly discreetly, below the radar screen. The fact that they admit to talking means somebody blinked. My bet it was the players.
Time will tell, I'm not holding my breath......

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think anyone has blinked.

But with players, ex-players (i.e., Orr), non-NHL VIPs (i.e., Hockey Canada head), not to mention numerous editorials lambasting *both* sides, urging them to *get back to the table* this can only be taken as a positive sign.

Regardless of the solution, there are a lot of "victims" of the situation, so this will not be a win-win or win-lose situation, but more like a lose-lose-lose-lose-lose situation.

Perhaps the "rumors" of an arbitrator/mediator/facilitator might produce some (further) positive motion.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
As the Sportsnet article says:

It's believed the "drop-by" to the NHL office was to have a general chat which mostly revolved around cleaning up loose ends stemming from the World Cup of Hockey.

Sportsnet also learned the meeting ended with no dates being set for future meetings.

I don't think it's much to change our collective underwear over just yet.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
nikeisevil said:
As the Sportsnet article says:

It's believed the "drop-by" to the NHL office was to have a general chat which mostly revolved around cleaning up loose ends stemming from the World Cup of Hockey.

Sportsnet also learned the meeting ended with no dates being set for future meetings.

I don't think it's much to change our collective underwear over just yet.

Ah, realism, refreshing yet depressing :banghead:

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
From the TSN article:

TSN Hockey Analyst Glenn Healy said that NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow has been fielding calls from a number of players who want him to start negotiations. "Kreskin is not part of this negotiating committee, " Healy said. "So unless there is some sort of cummunication, no deal will be done. The fact that they are compromising just to talk is a good thing."

Healy stressed that the players are not asking the union leaders to capitulate, but simply to start talking.

Not holding my breath, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

ctfan

Oct 2, 2004
This season is shot anyway as far as I'm concerned. It's either a full season or no season. The owners have gone this far and are probably a few months from breaking the union. Why reach a half-baked solution like MLB with its crazy revenue sharing that allows the Yankees to have a payroll that's TWENTY TIMES that of some other teams? Or the NBA with it's ridiculous soft cap that still allows the rich teams to sign players at astronomical salaries through sign and trades, etc. No, I'd rather see the NHL reach a solution that allows some competiveness and brings some sanity to ticket prices. Let this season go and let the players reflect a bit on what it's like to miss those gigantic paychecks that we the fans ultimately play for.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
League should simply keep it's course and let NHLPA implode. If NHL fails now, it's never going to get a better chance.

Sooner or later Badenow and Linden will realize that the majority of the players (you know those who make 3M+ or less) get tired of protecting the interests of overpaid losers.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Sorry folks this isn't progress, it's just PR from both sides. Dont they realize (both sides) this lockout isn't getting any play in America? There is no outcry from the media, only the few die hards actually give a crap.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Here in Boston, we have so many sports options to spend our money on. Just got through watching the Red Sox win the World Series. We've got the Patriots on a 20 game win streak. I don't care if the Bruins play all year. If I want hockey I can go to a College game for under 20 bucks. I,m a big hockey fan but it will take a long time before I cough up money for Bruins tickets again!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Im not convinced this is better than nothing. Things would seem likely to get worse before they get better. Id guess that next week things will look even bleaker than now. This will just be an occasion to stiffen the stances. There is still more pressure to come. THis might be the beginning of the real negotiations and decision points.

The players are going to have to confirm whether they are in this for the long haul or not. If they arent prepared to go the distance then make your deal now.

Fighting the good fight puts many of their members in a very difficult spot. Makes them sacrificial lambs. But what the owners are trying to extort from the players is something they are going to have to go into a long battle to protect. Fans wont get this principle, Mike Commodore may not like it either, and it is really almost unfair on guys like him.

It would be really easy to be selfish and just give in the master extortionists. But dis is bidness. It may not be worth it to the players having to fight the battle anymore than it seemed worth it for soldiers to die in WWII for freedom. No, i dont want the make comparison between these 2 vastly different things, but players in the future will benefit greatly if they win this fight now. The rich players are willing to make the sacrifice. The people making the sacrifice may not be the ones to get all the benefit.

I think the owners are morally wrong to extort this as the only solution. But the pressure owners can apply is just starting. Dont do it if you're not ready players.

We'll see what their time out for sober reflection did I guess. Not much i think

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
bigd said:
Here in Boston, we have so many sports options to spend our money on. Just got through watching the Red Sox win the World Series. We've got the Patriots on a 20 game win streak. I don't care if the Bruins play all year. If I want hockey I can go to a College game for under 20 bucks. I,m a big hockey fan but it will take a long time before I cough up money for Bruins tickets again!

But won't you be missing watching the Habs end the playoff run of the Bruins (if they make the playoffs)? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad