Signing UFA prospects

Espo7

Feb 11, 2007
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com
Don't take my word on this...but I believe it is if they are 21+ (therefore not eligible for the draft) and not drafted....OR, if they were drafted and not signed after that amount of years NHL teams have(I think it was 3).

Or something along those lines.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can someone tell me what the age or criteria is to sign a prospect that was passed over in the entry draft?

Do they have to be of certain age by a certain date in order to do so?

The only age requirement I can think of is that they would need to be 18 to be signed (although I don't know how it works for kids who go undrafted but don't turn 18 till say August or before Sept 15th) Other then that no age requirement if they are signed by a certain date, which I don't recall the exact dates.

Once a player if draft eligable and goes undrafted they can be signed by any NHL club as a Free Agent up until a certain date (around Sept I beleive) then once that date passes and they are still draft eligable then they can't be signed until the draft is over and if they go undrafted again then any NHL team can sign them.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
Can someone tell me what the age or criteria is to sign a prospect that was passed over in the entry draft?

Do they have to be of certain age by a certain date in order to do so?

I have also thought that it would go like that, but there has been one thing as a source of bafflement. Some time when I read about the Coyotes prospects on Hockey's Future, I noticed that they claimed that Olivier Latendresse (1986-born) was signed as a free agent by the Coyotes in 2004.

Common sense would say he could have been signed after the 2006 draft if he was again passed over.

edit: Montreal with an answer, thanks!

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
The only age requirement I can think of is that they would need to be 18 to be signed (although I don't know how it works for kids who go undrafted but don't turn 18 till say August or before Sept 15th) Other then that no age requirement if they are signed by a certain date, which I don't recall the exact dates.

Once a player if draft eligable and goes undrafted they can be signed by any NHL club as a Free Agent up until a certain date (around Sept I beleive) then once that date passes and they are still draft eligable then they can't be signed until the draft is over and if they go undrafted again then any NHL team can sign them.

That's what I had figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->