Value of: Signing UFA Panarin

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
It's been interesting to read ask the Panarin trade threads that inevitably end up with the phrase, "we'll just sign him in the summer." Sadly that's Lofgren betting paired with the comment of how he wants to play for [insert team here] us.

So I'm curious. All you teams out there, how much are you offering for one of the premier LW in the game. He's just hitting his prime, less wear and tear from fewer NHL years, and great at both ends.

What offer are you sending Milstein?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I would guess he gets $9 million x 7 years. He puts up great numbers, is still in his prime and UFAs command a lot of money because it is essentially a bidding war.

Reactions: easton117 and Tweed

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I would guess he gets $9 million x 7 years. He puts up great numbers, is still in his prime and UFAs command a lot of money because it is essentially a bidding war.

That's right around where I've got him. 9.5 maybe depending on what else is going on in the market, and where the cap goes.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's been interesting to read ask the Panarin trade threads that inevitably end up with the phrase, "we'll just sign him in the summer." Sadly that's Lofgren betting paired with the comment of how he wants to play for [insert team here] us.

So I'm curious. All you teams out there, how much are you offering for one of the premier LW in the game. He's just hitting his prime, less wear and tear from fewer NHL years, and great at both ends.

What offer are you sending Milstein?

925k x 4

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
That's right around where I've got him. 9.5 maybe depending on what else is going on in the market, and where the cap goes.
I could see 9.5x5 years. For a full 7 years I think teams would want a bit lower AAV and 9 million is already a lot to have tied up in a winger, even a premier one. With a shorter term teams are more willing to go up in terms of actual AAV for UFAs (looking at JVR and Bozak this summer as examples).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tweed

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Panarin had Montreal on his original list when he came over from the khl so it is possible if they have a good season.
I'd rate the likelihood of that possibility slightly below that of his opting in the offseason to apologize profusely to Kekalainen for stringing this out and subsequently resigning with the Jackets at a massive discount.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Panarin had Montreal on his original list when he came over from the khl so it is possible if they have a good season.
I'd rate the likelihood of that possibility slightly below that of his opting in the offseason to apologize profusely to Kekalainen for stringing this out and subsequently resigning with the Jackets at a massive discount.
Montreal then was a far more attractive destination then it is now. However, Montreal could be the team with both the motivation and the capability to offer Panarin the mega-contract he wants, so I don’t think we can discount the possibility of him signing there.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Id offer Drouin 1v1, if Panarin agrees to contract pre trade. Would be open to a 9m/yr deal over 6-7 years.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Good luck with that

Doubt they get anywhere close to as good a player who is 23, and locked in long term for 5.5m-who is that kind of offensive threat.

Panarin is walking, lets not forget that.

I dont think CLB needs more D. Im sure theyd be looking to replace some of Panarins output instead.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Montreal then was a far more attractive destination then it is now. However, Montreal could be the team with both the motivation and the capability to offer Panarin the mega-contract he wants, so I don’t think we can discount the possibility of him signing there.
Motivation and capability? The only differences between Montreal and Columbus in that regard are 1) we have him now and 2) we're not terrible. This isn't about us not having the space or the money.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Motivation and capability? The only differences between Montreal and Columbus in that regard are 1) we have him now and 2) we're not terrible. This isn't about us not having the space or the money.
What is Colubus’ cap situation? Can they afford to overpay Panarin to keep him? Because Montreal can. That is literally Montreals sole advantage for trying to hey UFAs: They can back a brinks truck up to their door.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is Colubus’ cap situation? Can they afford to overpay Panarin to keep him? Because Montreal can. That is literally Montreals sole advantage for trying to hey UFAs: They can back a brinks truck up to their door.
Doesn’t sound like a money issue between panarin and cbs. Seems like he truly desires to hit free agency again and wants to go to one of a few cities.

He’s earned that right by the rules of the cba.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Yeah they can afford to overpay, especially if Bob is leaving. And Panarin's worth maybe $11m or so per, I do think they'd offer more than $10m x 8. But this isn't about the money.

Reactions: CBJFan827

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think $9m is too low, unless Panarin narrows his list of destinations a lot. If he's taking all offers then the price should be $11m or higher.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Well, Hawks can make it work for around $9m, so he'll sign for around $9m. We'll also give him an NMC and a free kick to Bowman's groin and then we can all be friends again.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->