Speculation: Signing Taylor Hall as a UFA

Would you support signing Hall?

• Total voters

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I was thinking Buffalo. Eichel driving one line, Hall driving the other. Risto and Dahlin on the blueline.

Yes. Or even Oilers now they have a legit front office and have the best hockey player in the world. No doubt in my mind Kenny makes the Oilers a powerhouse perennial contender. ala 2009-onward Blackhawks.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I certainly agree its unlikely Hall would choose to sign in Detroit but we also have a GM who has a track record of being a world class leader and has a demonstrated ability to get players to buy into his vision.

I have confidence that Yzerman and co. can make a compelling case to sign in Detroit and that counts for something.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No-brainer signing if he likes to sign in here.

You can't get 1st overalls any more easier. Easier than winning the lottery.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not a fit. Plus his production is likely to begin dropping off in his late 20s and early 30s. Plus I'm guessing he has no interest in joining yet another rebuild, which is what his entire career has been up to this point.

Reactions: 14ari13

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Depends on the money he demands... We should explore every avenue of adding talent to this team, likely going somewhere he will be greatly overpaid on a roster that made a wild card birth or barely missed the post season. If he's under 8 million, I'd do it but I imagine that may very unlikely. Plus, I don't see that contract being good 7 years from now when hopefully we are contending.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No-brainer signing if he likes to sign in here.

You can't get 1st overalls any more easier. Easier than winning the lottery.

Even though he will likely be Trevor Daley or Valtteri Filppula's age by the time this club is starting to be cup contenders?

Hall will help Detroit draft -10th-14th instead of top 3 for the next 4 or 5 years, setting the rebuild back even further.

But he would make this team funner to watch in mediocre fashion. 2013 Wings -era all over again. Worth the trade off?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
If we draft Byfield and are able to sign him to a fair (9 million not 11) contract I’d be all for it. Trade Helm with salary retained for a 5th or whatever he’s worth now and bury Nielsen in the Minors.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Byfield-Hall
Athanasiou-Filppula-Fabbri
Svechnikov/Rasmussen-Glendenning-Abdelkader

Looks a whole lot better both now and going forward. Also would allow us to trade AA for some D help. Then, the year after, Veleno takes Filppula’s spot and Rasmussen/Berggren/Svechnikov fight for AA’s.

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He's always been good, but tbh I've never been overly impressed watching Hall play.

Plus we'd be getting him on the decline of his career while paying him a fortune.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
If we draft Byfield and are able to sign him to a fair contract I’d be all for it. Trade Helm with salary retained for a 5th or whatever he’s worth now and bury Nielsen in the Minors.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Byfield-Hall
Athanasiou-Filppula-Fabbri
Svechnikov/Rasmussen-Glendenning-Abdelkader

Looks a whole lot better both now and going forward. Also would allow us to trade AA for some D help. Then, the year after, Veleno takes Filppula’s spot and Rasmussen/Berggren/Svechnikov fight for AA’s.

So we spend millions to push the guy succeeding in the role down the depth charts which caused him to struggle at his last organization?

Last edited:

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I'm not in favor of signing him partly because I don't like spending big on wings and partly because I'm just not a big fan of the guy. He had the big year in Jersey, but he also talked about how he just didn't listen and did whatever he wanted while in Edmonton. Maybe he's learned a bit since, but he's also not replicating that big season yet, and never had a similar season before. He reminds me a bit of Rick Nash, who always seemed to leave you wanting a bit.
I voted no and I'm quoting (stealing) your post to explain my reasoning! :) I agree with you completely. He's a very good player but IMO not quite worth the big contract he'll undoubtedly receive.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
We need talent like Hall, but we have to draft and develop it. Over priced UFAs have me skittish after Weiss and company.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There's more and more buzz around Hall being traded. If he tests the UFA waters, would you be open to Yzerman signing him for something like $11M x 7 years?

Had the same thought, but ultimately, no.
Hall's had his fair share of injuries.
He's only topped 80 points once.

Easy to see him being a part-timer who quickly declines.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
This team is going to need a goalie (to replace Howard) and a defenseman or two (to replace Eriksson, Daley and Green), but I'm good with the forwards for now. All of the forwards might not be great, but they're still under contract for next year or they are restricted free agents.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No thanks. Rather some other team trade their assets,along with tying up their cap.

Also, don't spend big on a strength.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Depends on the money he demands... We should explore every avenue of adding talent to this team, likely going somewhere he will be greatly overpaid on a roster that made a wild card birth or barely missed the post season. If he's under 8 million, I'd do it but I imagine that may very unlikely. Plus, I don't see that contract being good 7 years from now when hopefully we are contending.
I don't see too many teams that can afford $8M.

If he wants to go to a contender, he's gonna have to do a Hossa and take a low salary for a season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't see too many teams that can afford $8M.

If he wants to go to a contender, he's gonna have to do a Hossa and take a low salary for a season.

I think this is something some people forget. Guys like this that want to get paid, cant just go to the top teams unless they want to sign for less. Sure their are exceptions, but a team like Detroit would be able to pay more then a team like say Toronto.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think this is something some people forget. Guys like this that want to get paid, cant just go to the top teams unless they want to sign for less. Sure their are exceptions, but a team like Detroit would be able to pay more then a team like say Toronto.
Teams with the best odds for a Cup:

7/1 Bos - Krug is coming off the books along with Miller's buyout, but they need a defenseman to replace Krug, Pasta and Marchand have relatively cheap contracts, and they don't need a winger

8/1 TB - No cap space without trading away a high priced player

12/1 VGK - Eakin and Reaves come off the books, could fit him in for around $5M

Tor - Loaded up front and the only expiring contracts are D-men

StL - I assume they want to re-sign their Captain, so they won't have room

Wsh - They can make room if they choose not to re-sign Backstrom and Holtby. That would leave them with Eller as 2C and a young goalie. Backstrom will get re-signed, not sure about Holtby. That might leave space for a cheap $4 - 5M short term contract.

You look at the rosters and realize quickly that the top teams don't need Hall anyways.

Reactions: kliq

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would be Detroit's Phil Kessel of Toronto. You don't build around a winger unless they are someone like Ovechkin.

Also he just turned 28 not every player maintains their performance into their 30's I don't really want a 10 million dollar 33 year old when we start a cup window.

Would I be unhappy, no, would it be the wrong move at this time, yes

Reactions: 14ari13

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
No like many others have said. He is the kinda guy that if given max term unless it's way under what he commands will look very bad in 4 years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's still too baby-faced for my liking. Imagine my surprise he was already 28. No thanks. I don't need that confusion in my life 82 games a year.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
What is our cap situation?

Which teams have the cap space?

Some have mentioned he wants 11 M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->