Speculation: Signing Taylor Hall as a UFA

Would you support signing Hall?

• Total voters

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Why would Taylor Hall sign with the Detroit Red Wings?

He has stated winning is his top priority and it’s the number one reason he won’t consider an extension with the Devils, so why Detroit of all teams?

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yes, We need to utilize any and all avenues to upgrade this team.

Whether he actually considers detroit is another question all together

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He has stated winning is his top priority and it’s the number one reason he won’t consider an extension with the Devils, so why Detroit of all teams?

because when expectations meet reality and Hall potentially looks at leaving millions on the table to play on a top contender that choice becomes much harder to make. What the Wings have to do is sell Hall on the idea that they are quickly nearing the ability to contend, and then throw massive baskets of cash at him.

I'm not a fan of spending big on Hall, though. Or any wing, really.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Nope, not willing to pay him $11 million per year and we aren't ready to be making massive free agent splashes yet.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

That's not the question.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
because when expectations meet reality and Hall potentially looks at leaving millions on the table to play on a top contender that choice becomes much harder to make. What the Wings have to do is sell Hall on the idea that they are quickly nearing the ability to contend, and then throw massive baskets of cash at him.

I'm not a fan of spending big on Hall, though. Or any wing, really.

lol imagine that conversation 'Hey we're only 30 games into the NHL season and are already on our 2nd 10+ game losing streak but are really confident that we're about to turn a corner into a contender under Blashill's leadership'

On topic, yeah get Hall. He's legit and would instantly make us way better.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Nope, not willing to pay him $11 million per year and we aren't ready to be making massive free agent splashes yet.

We have to see how the rest of the season plays out. Wings could make a splashy hockey trade (involving winger depth like Mantha or Athanasiou) between now and July 1st to improve the defense. Zadina could further improve his game and look strong in the NHL, Seider could demonstrate he is NHL ready. The Wings land a top 2 pick in the draft and select Lafreniere or Byfield. At that point in time, a big contract in Detroit might look nice. You know your game and you see a lot of young pieces coming into place. You essentially jump on to help push them to a competitive level in the near future and have a young core in place to maintain it over the rest of your career.

It sounds a lot like the Rangers trading for Trouba and signing Panarin and drafting Kakko, which hasn't been a perfect transition for them. But you have to hope that the Wings have more core and support pieces in place.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Let's say they draft Byfield and sign Hall and Lehner.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hall-Byfield-Zadina/AA
Fabbri-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Filppula-Glendening-Helm
Abdelkader

DeKeyser-Hronek
Cholowski-Seider
Nemeth-McIlrath
Biega

Lehner
Bernier

I believe the above is doable from a cap perspective.

Trade AA for some help on D.

Helm, Filppula, and Glendening come off the books after next year. Nielsen the following. Abdelkader never.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Last thing we need is to lock up a player to a big contract who'll be close to 40 when it ends. Hall is fantastic, but he probably won't be the same player he is now in two years.

Reactions: saska sault

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
What contenders will have 11M in cap space to sign Hall? Kid is 28yrs old, just entering his hockey prime, and played his junior hockey in Windsor.

I think it's more rewarding growing with a team to contend and win than joining a ready made contender. If he trusts Yzerman to build the Wings and the young talent on the team now maybe he would be willing to sign.

Especially if we get #1 OA.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's not even a center.... and he's already 28. He'll be 32 or 33 by the time DRWs are ready to start competing.

Atleast when TML signed Tavaras, he is a center and they already had a decent RFA core drafted.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We have to see how the rest of the season plays out. Wings could make a splashy hockey trade (involving winger depth like Mantha or Athanasiou) between now and July 1st to improve the defense. Zadina could further improve his game and look strong in the NHL, Seider could demonstrate he is NHL ready. The Wings land a top 2 pick in the draft and select Lafreniere or Byfield. At that point in time, a big contract in Detroit might look nice. You know your game and you see a lot of young pieces coming into place. You essentially jump on to help push them to a competitive level in the near future and have a young core in place to maintain it over the rest of your career.

It sounds a lot like the Rangers trading for Trouba and signing Panarin and drafting Kakko, which hasn't been a perfect transition for them. But you have to hope that the Wings have more core and support pieces in place.

To follow up on this point, I do not make an offer to Hall. Between the Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Zadina, and Fabbri, we already have a crunch on wingers I would like to see in the top 6. This doesn't consider that we have let's call it a 20% chance of drafting Lafreniere (18.5% odds for #1, and tossing in 1.5% for the Wings landing #2 AND the first overall takes Byfield). It also doesn't consider that as it stands there is a 65% chance that we are picking outside of the top 2, where there are a lot more forwards that currently are, or project more as wingers. Just based on really, really rough estimates that should not be taken as accurate, we probably have an 75-85% chance of either drafting Lafreniere or a Raymond/Holtz/Stutzle/Perfetti type. The other 15-25% would be Byfield, Askarov, Drysdale, etc.

So with what we currently have at the NHL (or NHL/AHL fringe for Zadina) level, plus the odds that we are taking a high octane winger-type, plus the players in the system, like Svechnikov, Berggren, Mastrosimone, Rasmussen who all could fill a middle (or top) 6 role at some point in time, we really don't have a pressing need to lock in a winger like Hall. Not that we can't use the talent influx, but we could also find alternative ways to spend the money; be it on a goalie, or a center, or a defenseman which may be a more important area in need of improvement.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
No. Just no. I don't think he'd come here anyway, but we certainly don't need that contract at a time the team sucks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not in favor of signing him partly because I don't like spending big on wings and partly because I'm just not a big fan of the guy. He had the big year in Jersey, but he also talked about how he just didn't listen and did whatever he wanted while in Edmonton. Maybe he's learned a bit since, but he's also not replicating that big season yet, and never had a similar season before. He reminds me a bit of Rick Nash, who always seemed to leave you wanting a bit.

Depending on how the draft pans out and how some of the prospects finish the year, I think I'd rather see us go after a moderate upgrade or two on the blueline and in goal.

Islanders seem like would be a nice fit. They are the real deal up-and-coming team with Trotz behind the bench and Lou Lamoriello at the helm.

I was thinking Buffalo. Eichel driving one line, Hall driving the other. Risto and Dahlin on the blueline.

Reactions: plymouthmi

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Again, that's not the question.

Okay, but you're asking a question of whether we would want something that has a 0% chance of happening. Hall has already said on record he's not going to sign with a team he doesn't believe is a Cup contender, putting an end to any speculation about him coming to Detroit. Would I want the Wings to somehow acquire Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon? Dahlin? But I know that's not happening either, so there's no point in speculating that either in my opinion.

Whoever trades for Hall (or if he goes straight to UFA, which I'm unsure he will) probably has to be a guaranteed playoff team this year from my perspective. Colorado makes a lot of sense, Edmonton maybe if they're in a comfortable playoff spot by the trade deadline. But the playoff teams a- that need more winger depth and b- can afford his contract and to part with the assets to get him (at least a 1st round pick) are pretty limited, so we're probably only looking at 4 or 5 possible landing spots for him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Okay, but you're asking a question of whether we would want something that has a 0% chance of happening. Hall has already said on record he's not going to sign with a team he doesn't believe is a Cup contender, putting an end to any speculation about him coming to Detroit. Would I want the Wings to somehow acquire Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon? Dahlin? But I know that's not happening either, so there's no point in speculating that either in my opinion.

Whoever trades for Hall (or if he goes straight to UFA, which I'm unsure he will) probably has to be a guaranteed playoff team this year from my perspective. Colorado makes a lot of sense, Edmonton maybe if they're in a comfortable playoff spot by the trade deadline. But the playoff teams a- that need more winger depth and b- can afford his contract and to part with the assets to get him (at least a 1st round pick) are pretty limited, so we're probably only looking at 4 or 5 possible landing spots for him.

If you don't want to discuss it just don't enter the the thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad