Signing Green vs. Calvin de Haan

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Weighing the pros & cons of signing Mike Green vs. Calvin de Haan.

From what I've read about Calvin de Haan he is a fairly mistake free LD with some untapped offensive upside:

Pros:
1. Rock Solid Defensively
2. Great Outlet passer/breakouts, smooth transitions
3. Would be cheaper than Green, as he was looking for approx. $4M to extend his contract with Isles as an RFA, but Garth Snow tried to lowball him.
4. Much younger than Green
5. Could've been locked up as a very steady #3 for 3-5+ years
6. Could fill in as a #2 LD minute muncher next to a #1
7. Has a cooler name
8. Apparently Kenny had interest at TDL 2018, but CDH had a serious season ending shoulder injury.
9. Could provide some offense, maybe not as much as Green, but close enough that his defensive prowess outweighs the difference
10. Finished +15 & +11 on the Isles, the last 2 seasons; 82 GP & 33 GP= +26/105 GP

Cons:
1. Read that his type of injury was not insurable (read it on HF Trade forum, so unsure of accuracy)
2. Don't know how he'd fit into Blashill's system.
3. Don't know if he'd gel with his DRW D partner(s) or teammates.

Feel free to add any pros & cons for CDH, since I've barely watched him.

Since we know what Green brings, no reason to list all the pros & cons, he is a known quantity, a declining "tradeable asset", coming off of a major neck injury. I'd have offered him 4.9/1yr. OR 4.75 x 2 yrs. MAX! NO NTC/NMC!

Imagine:

DDK-Daley
de Haan-Hronek
Cholowski-E52
Sulak
Kronner-LTIR
Jensen-traded if Sulak outplays him; Hicketts 1st callup.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't think many are really clamoring for deHaan to the Wings. It doesnt really make much sense for us to sign a mediocre D-man who at 27 is just hitting UFA for the first time and will likely want to cash in and sign a long term deal. I could see him signing short term if he goes to a team like TO, Boston, etc. but if he comes here, he's going to want term and money.

Why do you have Kronwall on LTIR?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't think many are really clamoring for deHaan to the Wings. It doesnt really make much sense for us to sign a mediocre D-man who at 27 is just hitting UFA for the first time and will likely want to cash in and sign a long term deal. I could see him signing short term if he goes to a team like TO, Boston, etc. but if he comes here, he's going to want term and money.

Why do you have Kronwall on LTIR?
because for whatever reason some ppl like to through out LTIR's all willey nilley and don't realize that its not that simple

Reactions: ShelbyZ

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
because for whatever reason some ppl like to through out LTIR's all willey nilley and don't realize that its not that simple

Its so true. I can't count how often I hear people saying things like "lets just put Z and Kronwall on LTIR" as if its like placing a player on waivers.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Don't think we should go after guys like DeHaan. He seems more like someone you add when you need a #3 or #4 to really bolster your already good team. Like for Toronto for example he'd be a good fit (if they can afford it).

Is he an upgrade on Dekeyser? Probably, but not by enough to make a huge difference. Just stay patient and keep developing our kids.

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad